Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is Thor without his mighty hammer: Tornado Systems ECU chip upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2016, 07:07 PM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts
Default What is Thor without his mighty hammer: Tornado Systems ECU chip upgrade

As some of you may recall I recently invested in a professionally remanufactured 4.6 block from Turner Engineering. From late January to the end of June Ive driven the new block hard. Over 1,000 miles of driving. Up steep hills. In back to back traffic. Windy back roads. Highways. Fully loaded with all my roof rack accessories etc. So far so good. No ticking. No overheating. No coolant leaks. Other than a month long misfire issue (bad coil, faulty ignition wire and loose connections were the cause) the engine has been reliable and trouble free. Unfortunately thats where the bragging ends. Despite the new block with performance camshaft, machined heads and all the other work that was done and parts replaced... It still feels and sounds like and old Rover V8 engine. Going up hills is an embarrassment at best and passing motorists on the highway takes 30 + minutes (slight exaggeration). Its clear that my engine needs an upgrade.

Im not creating a race car though. I dont give a **** about top speed etc. I just want more power and boost when traveling up hills or passing other cars on the highway. Improved throttle response etc. There are many performance chip companies at our disposal but not all are equal. With a warranty still active on my block I surely dont want to have the ecu over tuned... I reached out to none other than Turner Engineering for this inquiry and they said this: "... ... It is our recommendation that you contact Mark Adams at Tornado Systems reference a chip which we recommend to numerous customers without any known problems.".

Communications with Mark Adams of Tornado Systems has been very slow so far, but from what I gather they have been specializing in chips for the Rover V8 and other engines for quite some time now. Best yet they like Turner are based in the UK so Im confident that they will take good care of me. Typically anyone interested in one of these chips will have to pull their ecu and ship it to Tornado Systems so the unit can be properly tuned to your needs.

In the mean time what do you folks think about the route Im taking? Have any of you upgraded your Rovers with a chip? If so what were the results?

Tornado Systems | Product Categories Thor

Old 07-06-2016, 07:11 PM
TReK

The inspiration behind my quest for more boost: Fast forward to 04:36:00

Last edited by TRIARII; 07-06-2016 at 07:14 PM.
Old 07-06-2016, 07:34 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 189 Likes on 184 Posts

Here are some threads from this year. If you have the extra bucks please do it and give us a report. Pound being down should be an incentive.
Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum - Search Results

Last edited by number9; 07-06-2016 at 07:37 PM.
Old 07-06-2016, 10:23 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Wondering why he went with a spacer in the back for the airbags? I wouldn't want to keep the air-ride if I was making an off-road toy.

Old 07-07-2016, 01:16 AM
TReK

Originally Posted by Mskembo
Wondering why he went with a spacer in the back for the airbags? I wouldn't want to keep the air-ride if I was making an off-road toy.
Ask him 😊 his youtube channel is very active and hes got lots of awesome vids. Ive never had an air system but perhaps they are not all that bad so long as the oener takes care of the system and the air struts are in good shape.

Old 07-07-2016, 10:08 AM
Super Moderator
Received 97 Likes on 91 Posts

You've got oversized tires, perhaps a gearing change might give you some of the performance you are looking for. Maybe get a 1.4:1 high range transfer case or some 3:90:1 diff gears?

Old 07-07-2016, 11:32 AM
TReK

Originally Posted by jafir
You've got oversized tires, perhaps a gearing change might give you some of the performance you are looking for. Maybe get a 1.4:1 high range transfer case or some 3:90:1 diff gears?
You must be refering to these:

😄😄😄😄😄😃😃😃😃😃😃😃

But in all seriousness my truck has lacked the boost since day one back in late 2012. Before thr mts were fitted. In any case I will be downgrading the tires from MT's to BFG K02's very soon.

Old 07-07-2016, 11:53 AM
Super Moderator
Received 97 Likes on 91 Posts

I just meant that 235/85R16 are 32" tall and 235/70R16 or 255/65R16 are 29" tall.

I had 255/85R16 on my 2003, which are 33" tall, and it wasn't fast by any means, but it wasn't dangerously slow like my 90.

Old 07-08-2016, 01:00 AM
Winching
Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

I just went from a 4.0 with 33's to a 4.6 with 4.11 gears and 33's, I found a massive difference in performance. Especially up hills on the hwy.

Old 07-08-2016, 12:34 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Gearing is really important when trying to keep a lifted 4x4 as a daily driver. The lack of power on our trucks makes me want to do the lift and gears all in one swoop.

Quick Reply: What is Thor without his mighty hammer: Tornado Systems ECU chip upgrade