Build Threads Create a build thread to compile pictures and descriptions of your LR build.

The official TRIARII build

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2016 | 06:54 PM
Recovery Vehicle

I read your updates looking for more Lobster and camping.......but all I get is 'I should have bought a Yota'......your killing me.........the worst part of these rigs is the motor & their electrical system..........butt you still want to dump money under it.........I'm so confused, there's more room and even more dependability in a Jeep Cherokee for a 3rd of the cost, cheaper parts, more piece of mind...........your obsession is mind blowing..........How 'bout some more Lobster pics for us sea food lovers just to keep this sane.........

Old 11-05-2016 | 07:47 PM
|
TReK

Originally Posted by Detoured Discovey
I read your updates looking for more Lobster and camping.......but all I get is 'I should have bought a Yota'......your killing me.........the worst part of these rigs is the motor & their electrical system..........butt you still want to dump money under it.........I'm so confused, there's more room and even more dependability in a Jeep Cherokee for a 3rd of the cost, cheaper parts, more piece of mind...........your obsession is mind blowing..........How 'bout some more Lobster pics for us sea food lovers just to keep this sane.........
You misunderstand my passion and intentions. I have no regrets about buying this D2 and I absolutly love it- perhaps more than most folks love their vehicles. I take care of my investment and take equal pride in it. Electrical issues on the D2 are moderate and not any worse than any domestic car with their own electrical gremlins. A new abs sensor and a amigo diagnostic tool solved my 3 amigos long time ago. Engine is no longer an issue on my truck thanks to the British and when this build is complete I may invest in a Toyota 70 Series if I cannot source a 110 for under $15,000. Have no intentions of parting with my D2 though. Id like to have afew expedition rigs at my disposal. Jeeps are not my thing: ugly, bland, small, mainstream abd unreliable. Weak axles, temp 4x4, rear main seals prone to failure, weak transmissions, under powered engines, weak suspension especially front end (death wobble), rockers prone to rusting, low quality plastic fuel tanks prone to leaks on the top end. Also not practical long range expedition vehicles. Great off roaders when heavily modified and taken care of. Yes you can buy an over priced fully equipped Rubicon Wrangler but just not my thing. "Its a jeep thing". There's a reason why you often see beefed up Heep sitting on the lawn by the road with a for sale sign...

Lobstering is going good. Moved to a different boat with more $$$. Was making $100 per day as a 3rd mate on the F/V Calculated Risk, now Im making 15% as a second mate on a bigger, newer, safer boat based out of Portsmouth NH. F/V Meagan J. 38 feet long by 16 feet wide. Fully loaded with all the safety gear, navigational equipment, radar and alot more room to move around. Making about $1,500-$1700 per week right now. Our current buyer gives us $3.80 per pound but I know another lobster buyer who pays $4.17 per pound so hopefully we will switch over. Alot more work and responsibilities and less time for pictures.

Last edited by TRIARII; 11-05-2016 at 07:58 PM.
Old 11-06-2016 | 01:38 AM
Camel Trophy

Cool pictures. I've watched the TV shows and that's hard work. Anyone who goes out on the ocean on a 38 foot boat for a living has my respect.

The following users liked this post:
TRIARII (11-06-2016)
Old 11-06-2016 | 02:02 PM
|
TReK

Guess I jyxed myself:

3 amigos popped up when I did a cold start and let the truck idle to warm up. Turned the truck off, waited afew minutes and turned truck back on... No amogos. Proceeded to hop on the highway for a short distance and the amigos popped back up and a single audio ding. Took out my icarsoft and found the above error in the abs system. Cleared the amigos using icarsoft and now waiting to see if the amigos come back. Any thoughts?

I have not read to much into the slabs computer failure but from what I gather AB sells a replacement shutter valve switch kit.

While I had the icarsoft out I went in and read the obd2 and still getting misfiring codes. 2 questions:
1) Will a dead catalytic converter trigger misfire codes?

2) Would a bad SAI pump trigger musfire codes?

Im expecting a big check in afew days from my new boss so probably going to drop off the truck to have the misfires diagnosed by a more experienced lad. Ive already replaced plugs, wires, coils etc.

Old 11-06-2016 | 02:45 PM
|
TReK

Hour later did some moderate driving around and ran through some loose gravel, still no amigos. Traction control and abs still operational.

Old 11-06-2016 | 03:33 PM
|
TReK

Have a new friend near my camping spot... My DLSR is temporary out of commission until I get new battery so I used smartphone + binoculars to get this shot. Pretty cool. I think a family of them live near by. Guess they dont mind my company

Old 11-06-2016 | 04:02 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Thanks for the port pic's.......I can smell the salt from here......ahhhhhhh!

Your right and wrong about the Jeep thing......I think you have very, selective reading......I'll just leave it at that but as far as under powdered, they'll run circles around our Rova's in stock form with no mods......that one statement suggests your misinformation.....you like your D2, I get it.....it's all good.

(Bonus side note: It took a retired Jeep engineer to sort out the Hummer H1 issues with GM before the gov't. would sign the contract, if it wasn't for him, the H1 would not have become a military issued vehical. He was also involved in Fords GT 40 program....)

So here's a salty question.......instead of the whole frame thing, which is more work than any working man would want to endure....Why not find a nice Southwest donor?? Swap your motor/drivetrain in....have a gob of spare parts left over.....an 1/8th of the labor, broken bolts, bloody knuckles as well as cost.....as a guy who's played the car game for over 30 years, I understand the attraction.....just don't understand the method.....

Keep those Lobsta' pictures coming!!!

Old 11-06-2016 | 05:39 PM
|
TReK

Originally Posted by Detoured Discovey
Your right and wrong about the Jeep thing......I think you have very, selective reading......I'll just leave it at that but as far as under powdered, they'll run circles around our Rova's in stock form with no mods
I base my statements on personal experience, the experiences of other peers in my circle and on information I read online (vehicle reviews, vehicle articles and Manufacture issued recalls). Rusty rockers, plastic gas tanks, weak stock axles, weak stock suspension, under powered engines are fact. Being ugly, small, bland and not practical long range overland vehicle are my opinions. You will hard pressed to find a stock Grand Cherokee, Cherokee (old or crossover), Compass, Patriot or Liberty on any serious trails. Id pay to see any of the above mentioned stock models runing circles around a stock D1, D1 or Defender on a serious trail. More like a clown show though. The Wrangler with its many trim levels and assortment of off road add-ons is the only serious contender made by Heep that could in some circumstances out perform a stock Land Rover. But thats also because Heep offers more offroad features for the Wrangler than Land Rover offers its customers. Lockers, beefed up suspension, extra lift and beefier tires. That is another opinion though.

To answer your question about the frame: Why not spend another $$$$ on a rust free D2 and switch over the Turner block etc vs a new galvanized frame on my current D2?

The answer starts with this statement. "I love my D2" and I take care of my investment.If I ever tried selling my D2, Id never get back even half of the $$$$ Ive put into this build and nobody would appreciate the time, energy, love and $$$$ Ive put into it - low ballers. Might as well keep her and move forward and enjoy her. The other reason is this:

Total invested in Atlantic British parts since 2012: $2,219.37

Total invested in Rovers North parts since 2012:
$5,684.18+

Not including labour, fluids... So figure $7,903.55 give or take worth of parts that I really dont feel like swapping over to a donor truck, and not about to pay a mechanic to do either. Im so far into this build and the hole gets deeper so might as well kick into full throttle and Rovah on

Old 11-06-2016 | 08:44 PM
Camel Trophy

To your misfire questions, a clogged cat can cause misfires by causing too much backpressure. I don't have SAI but I understand its function and I don't see how it could cause misfires unless it had an opening or hole that allowed unmetered air into the combustion chambers.

Old 11-07-2016 | 03:53 AM
|
TReK

Originally Posted by Charlie_V
To your misfire questions, a clogged cat can cause misfires by causing too much backpressure. I don't have SAI but I understand its function and I don't see how it could cause misfires unless it had an opening or hole that allowed unmetered air into the combustion chambers.
Hmmm my concern is spending $$$ on labor to have my mechanic come up with same conclusion that cats causing multiple cylinder missfire. Not sure if cats will be in my budget before my trip... Thanks for the info. Exhaust and emissions are a real pain in the ***.

Quick Reply: The official TRIARII build