Build Threads Create a build thread to compile pictures and descriptions of your LR build.

The official TRIARII build

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2016, 04:22 AM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

Inspection document. According to the computer the misfire section is ready while the evap system and cats are not ready. This is what leads me to believe I resolved the original issue that caused the mussfires, but not before the cats were damaged and again causing missfiring codes...

Old 11-07-2016, 04:19 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

Qoute: I base my statements on personal experience, the experiences of other peers in my circle and on information I read online (vehicle reviews, vehicle articles and Manufacture issued recalls). Rusty rockers, plastic gas tanks, weak stock axles, weak stock suspension, under powered engines are fact. Being ugly, small, bland and not practical long range overland vehicle are my opinions. You will hard pressed to find a stock Grand Cherokee, Cherokee (old or crossover), Compass, Patriot or Liberty on any serious trails.

I don't want to wreck your thread, but your 'circle' isn't very big.....rather.....tiny.
I'll stop there........just keep posting fishing/lobsta' pic's.....Giddy Up!!

Old 11-07-2016, 06:14 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by Detoured Discovey
Qoute: I base my statements on personal experience, the experiences of other peers in my circle and on information I read online (vehicle reviews, vehicle articles and Manufacture issued recalls). Rusty rockers, plastic gas tanks, weak stock axles, weak stock suspension, under powered engines are fact. Being ugly, small, bland and not practical long range overland vehicle are my opinions. You will hard pressed to find a stock Grand Cherokee, Cherokee (old or crossover), Compass, Patriot or Liberty on any serious trails.

I don't want to wreck your thread, but your 'circle' isn't very big.....rather.....tiny.
I'll stop there........just keep posting fishing/lobsta' pic's.....Giddy Up!!

Apparently yours is even smaller mate

Old 11-07-2016, 06:51 PM
TReK

"HOLY **** UPDATE":

Today started out pretty ****ty. My work schedule is 5:30am-5:30pm Monday-Saturday (Boss likes to have Sunday's off) got a text around 4am that winds are to strong so no fishing today. Every day Im not fishing Im losing $180-$250 per day! Not happy.

BUT THEN!!!! I got paid $$$$ and decided to buy some new rubber. Specifically BFGoodrich K02 All Terrains 235/85/16. Tire Warehouse did not have them in stock but have 30 at their warehouse in MA. I paid $1,160 up front for 5 tires plus balance and the guys were awesome enough to send a truck down to the TW warehouse to pick up the tires for me. 2 hours later Im waiving them good bye and driving off their property - HOLY ****!!!! What a world of difference in handling, feel and sound! The D2 literally glides down the road effortlessly as if its just hovering along! The feeling is so smooth and making turns with less resistance. The ride quality all way around has improved dramatically and makes driving much more pleasant and comfortable. Tires are quiet and the rig performs with confidence. Completely amazed at the difference.

Prior to leaving Tire Warehouse I zeroed the Ultra-Gauge MPG and sure as **** the moment I got onto the main road ways I was seeing an UG reading of 12 mpg on backbroads. In the city areas with lots of stop lights and rush hour traffic Im seeing UG readings of around 10 mpg. Best of all the 65 mph vibration I was getting on the highway is gone. Still pending on highway mpg but I'm willing to bet it will be around 13 mpg!

While I was getting the new tires installed I took advantage of the timing to swap out my old lug nuts for new lugs I purchased from Lucky 8 Llc. Think I paid $45 shipped for 10. Put in a second order for 10 more so thats about $90 for 20 lug nuts. Lucky 8 has a special sale via their ebay page, but when you call just ask about their Ebay pricing for 10 and they will hook you up

Also happy to announce that my order from John Craddock arrived and everything was in order. The correct parts, new, genuine as I requested and very resonable shipping time. The SAI pump, SAI hose and a radiator muff all shipped from England cost less than price for parts shipped from Rovers North. Highly recommend John Craddock! Removing the old pump and hose was a breeze and probably only took me 30 minutes. Cleared the obd2 codes using icarsoft, misfire codes still present but still waiting to see if the codes for the SAI system return- got my fingers crossed that I resolved the issue with the SAI.

Next week Im ordering a cheap catalytic converter and will have Don diagnoise the misfires. After that the last mechanical thing Ill want to get is new rotors and Akebono pads. Not happy with the ebc pads I just installed- waste of money and way to much brake dust.

The following users liked this post:
JUKE179r (11-09-2016)
Old 11-07-2016, 07:00 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by TRIARII
Apparently yours is even smaller mate
Ya........20 plus years in the trade of Jeep small, supplying parts around the world.. literally. Let's not go where you haven't traveled, I feed my family with them, pay my mortgage, you.........you cuddle in a D2 you hardly fit in and rely on a 'puter to tell you what's wrong and PAY SOME ONE to fix it, on top of that have hardly ZERO seat time to totally understand what your even driving, self admitted.......3/4 of the game is seat time. It's like you want to be a Rally Driver but never drove off pavement, and yet continue to struggle with FAIL........but 'FAWK'.....it's the best rig on earth!!!!!!.......really?

Your absolutely killing me..............

It's been said your of your own mind, lets not keep proving the short coming and just move on......okay.......mate?

Old 11-07-2016, 07:06 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Oh......nice lug nuts dude...............

Old 11-07-2016, 07:11 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts

I don't think you understand how a frame swap works.
A lot of that fancy stuff you have on your truck is going to have to come off anyway. Bumpers, winch, maybe the rack. The whole engine will need to be disconnected and the whole suspension will need to be swapped too.
You'd have a MUCH easier time buying a clean D2 from the south with a blown engine and swapping your engine and accessories.

I know you LOOOOOOOVE your truck, but your affection is clouding your judgement. Seriously I threw up in my mouth a little when you said $7900 in the last 4 years, not to mention labor and your Turner engine?

This threads just keeps me shaking my head....

Old 11-07-2016, 07:26 PM
Recovery Vehicle

I'm a 'Fish fan............but I feel we should no longer bother.......he knows all, wheels all, and has done all.......has all the answers........I think were done here.

Old 11-07-2016, 07:35 PM
TReK

So some words regarding my former TreadWright retreads. Firstly they never failed me, never let me down and never ripped apart at high speeds on the highway or while offroading. Treadwright tires are a great bang for your buck. Think I paid around $550 shipped for 5 mud terrains. The 2 setbacks with retreads:

1) Though casings/sidewalls are vigorously inspected prior to the retreading process, they are still second hand and have been exposed to the elements during their first life so to speak. It is possible that your sidewalls with begin to show signs of age within a year or two of ownership (cracking).

2) There are different types of wheel balancing. One type glue weights on your wheels (static balancing which is required for Treadwright retreads) and another more common type (dont know the name) pin the weights to your wheels. Static balancing and the method of glueing on weights is not ideal for the following reasons:
A) The adhesive properties that hold the weights to your wheels will break down and result in the weights literally falling off

B) Weights that are glued on will come off much easier while offroading or while using a power washer to clean your wheels.

Since I attended Winter Romp afew years ago my handling has gradually decreased. Less responsive, loud and a very noticeable vibration at exactly 65 mph. My mpg saw figures around 7.5 mpg... My wheels were way out of balance, missing weights and uneven tread wear. Now that I have a new set of tires I will keep a closer eye on the tires/wheels, rotate when needed and rebalanced when needed. The primary reason I decided to go with new BFGoodrich KO2 tires instead of retreads is peace of mind during my upcoming road trip to Alaska. Its about 5,000 miles and I need a dependable, durable tire with a reputation to back. The two tires I was debating on was General Grabber AT2 and the BFGoodrich KO2. The BFG has 10 ply tread and 3 ply sidewalls and has been tested vigorously by reknown overlanders around the world- Notable Andrew St Pierre White of 4XOverland sold me on the BFG KO2.

Side by side comparison of a KO2 and AT2

Old 11-07-2016, 08:11 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by Detoured Discovey
It's like you want to be a Rally Driver but never drove off pavement

Ignorance: "the state or fact of being ignorant : lack of knowledge, education, or awareness" - Merriam-Webster

Honestly you obviously dont know the half of it but you have a tendency to provide "misinformation" as seen above. I dont give two ****s about your mortgage, the way I look at a mortgage is a 10-30 year obligation that chains you down to one location denying you and your family the freedom to do what you what, go where ever you want, when you want. If you get laid off, terminated or the economy crashes or your house loses value then your screwed. Lets not talk about car payments and other misc debt.- not something to brag about online mate. I imagine you probably work bankers hours 5 days a week and enjoy weekends off. Lucky you. Reality is that its your lifestyle and you live it the way you want. Thats all that matters.

Myself I enjoy the lack or lesser financial obligations than most and enjoy the freedom I have to do what I want, when I want where ever I want. Be it a 38 foot lobster boat based out of the historic Portsmouth NH or on board 295 foot factory fishing trawler on the Bering sea, Alaska. As a lobstermen I work just 12 hour shifts 6 days per week, up in Alaska we work 16 hour shifts 7 days a week during Salmon season. We work our asses off for the big checks we earn and we spend how we like. I live my life the way I like and Im happy, even if sometimes I have to camp out of my D2 for 3 months or dealing with a misfire.

You would do well to respect other folks if you want same respect. Please stop hyjacking my thread with nonsense. If you think Heeps are the biggest, most capable vehicles known to man than **** so be it, but don't try convincing the rest of the world of that BS.

Thanks

PS: Its my truck, my money, my dream and my build to do as I see fit. Some of you folks cant grasp the notion of a engine swap, or retrofitting ACE to a non ACE truck or swapping out a rusted frame... Thats your own problem not mine. Ive done my research, Ive spoken in great length to afew top notch mechanics and have received some quotes for new and used frames. When the time comes I will have the frame swapped - weather you and Fish like it or not.

Quick Reply: The official TRIARII build