Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No Compression

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2016, 04:28 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,275 Likes on 896 Posts

After studying pictures of the timing chain cover and water pump, it looks as though the two bolts that are below the water pump pulley both go into enclosed bosses on the timing chain cover. If your mechanic/friend/now-ex-friend ran the wrong bolts into those two bolt holes and went through the a aluminum case...they would line up with the upper chain and gear...possibly breaking the gear or dislodging the chain. But, that would take a bit of force...but then again...who knows?

This is like a CSI investigation...lol.

Will be very interesting to get to the bottom of this.

Brian.

Old 11-08-2016, 08:23 AM
TReK
Received 199 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by The Deputy
After studying pictures of the timing chain cover and water pump, it looks as though the two bolts that are below the water pump pulley both go into enclosed bosses on the timing chain cover. If your mechanic/friend/now-ex-friend ran the wrong bolts into those two bolt holes and went through the a aluminum case...they would line up with the upper chain and gear...possibly breaking the gear or dislodging the chain. But, that would take a bit of force...but then again...who knows?

This is like a CSI investigation...lol.

Will be very interesting to get to the bottom of this.

Brian.
The lr mechanic just opened around and about this time and surely they will call if they see that that particular bolt went through and will definitely charge me more. OH G! They told me yesterday that it will be completed today. At this point, i am raising money to get it out! LOL! GO FUND ME! hehehe. or got to use my rent money. haha
I can probably replace the timing chain myself with the help from this forum but I just got so tired having it towed to 3 shops already. My other disco (with steering pump problem), we are replacing the head gasket today. Now I'm using a rental car. 2 cars got buried in the driveway in front of the dead rover. My wife is about to kill me. Shes driving an old Jeep with 320K miles with no heater. Gasket arrived last night. I have a friend machine shop that will help me surface any imperfections even late just to get me going.
Anyway, I thank everybody here in advance and for the previous help with the rover mishaps.

Old 11-08-2016, 06:17 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by adolfojbonilla
Try this... it worked for me...

"Hmm. Yeah. Unlock doors with key. Put key in ignition. Turn to position two. Leave key. Roll down driver window. Leave driver door open. Unhook battery. Touch battery wires together. Let them sit 5 minutes touching each other. Hook back up to battery. Drive away happy (hopefully)." ;-]#
Hahaha Adolpho that sounds like something I would write. Especially the drive away happy part.

Old 11-08-2016, 06:24 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

I'm a little lost. The problem is the two bolts that hold the cam in place on the front? They hold a little bracket... those keep the cam from moving fore and aft. So I'm trying to figure out what mischief could occur if they fell out or went in too far. I guess the cam could come forward or go back if they were left off (if back it would knock out a freeze plug) and the lobes be off the lifters. In which case all valves should be shut. I can't imagine what would happen if the wrong bolts went too far.

I'm confused.

Old 11-09-2016, 11:33 AM
TReK

Originally Posted by Charlie_V
I'm a little lost. The problem is the two bolts that hold the cam in place on the front? They hold a little bracket... those keep the cam from moving fore and aft. So I'm trying to figure out what mischief could occur if they fell out or went in too far. I guess the cam could come forward or go back if they were left off (if back it would knock out a freeze plug) and the lobes be off the lifters. In which case all valves should be shut. I can't imagine what would happen if the wrong bolts went too far.

I'm confused.
Thank you forum friends. Today, I got my disco back from the shop. The me hanic said that it was the first time he saw a timing chain broken. Aside from that they took
Care of the leaking components. It drives better now and smooth. Though it cost me morethan my buget i feel better than keeping a rental car for a week. There were more parts replaced than expected.

Old 11-09-2016, 11:42 AM
TReK

Here are the parts and cost.

Old 11-09-2016, 11:58 AM
Baja
Received 721 Likes on 626 Posts

I am sorry, But I am sure you will hear this from everybody, but you got RAPED without lubrication on the oil pump. I mean, that is criminal...

Edit: I just looked up the part, maybe that is the whole front cover assembly. In that case not so bad.

Old 11-09-2016, 12:41 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by abran
I am sorry, But I am sure you will hear this from everybody, but you got RAPED without lubrication on the oil pump. I mean, that is criminal...

Edit: I just looked up the part, maybe that is the whole front cover assembly. In that case not so bad.
Hi Abran,
Considering you have 6 Land Rovers, you have plenty experience with them plus I remember getting parts from you. Thank you for the concern. When I ask the guy if my rover will still go for another 30k, he mentioned, I'll be good for another 70k and it can be can push it for another 100k in reference to the compression test they took. Im also hoping its true because there are plenty rovers in the shop. Many thanks

Old 11-09-2016, 01:01 PM
Baja

It looks like there is over 9 hrs of labor(According to the book time), plus the diagnostics.

Overall I think you paid a reasonable amount. Plus the fact that you have a warranty on the parts/labor.

Old 11-09-2016, 01:03 PM
Baja

Also, Nice looking Disco!

Quick Reply: No Compression