Build Threads Create a build thread to compile pictures and descriptions of your LR build.

The official TRIARII build

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2016, 06:28 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by TRIARII
Hmmm my concern is spending $$$ on labor to have my mechanic come up with same conclusion that cats causing multiple cylinder missfire. Not sure if cats will be in my budget before my trip... Thanks for the info. Exhaust and emissions are a real pain in the ***.
The way to find out if it is the cats is to drop the exhaust at the end of the headers and idle it a little. That's not really good for the valves or neighborly relations because it will be LOUD. But if the misfires disappear then that's your culprit. Then, if that is the issue, you can either get a new y pipe or have the cat or cats replaced at a muffler shop.

The following users liked this post:
TRIARII (11-08-2016)
Old 11-08-2016, 08:02 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts

Read above
I did. Your post was confusing amongst other things. Hence my question. It sounds like you two talked about the truck previously, but then you laid out demands as if you have the upper hand.

My head is starting to bleed from scratching it so much throughout this thread.

Old 11-09-2016, 05:14 AM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by fishEH
I did. Your post was confusing amongst other things. Hence my question. It sounds like you two talked about the truck previously, but then you laid out demands as if you have the upper hand.

We talked over the phone about a possible exchange. Donor belongs to his buddy so he cant just sell/trade me the donor. He is located in Washington state. Given those facts a exchange mist likely wouldn't happen. The"demands" as you call them are actually mentioned in "most unlikely of scenarios" category so not really a demand.

You fail to realize how much work would be involved in swapping over ever new part I want from my current D2 to a donor. You also fail to remember that I do not have access to a garage space ideal for swapping over a bunch of parts from one D2 to another. Your method of stripping 2 vehicles in the driveway is not ideal but least you have a driveway to part all your little projects. I do so many fishing jobs in Alaska and NH that I have not had time to settle down and will not retire from fishing until I meet all my goals.

Come 2017 Im taking a break from this build to focus on aquiring my first acre of undeveloped land, and a 25 foot mid 00's tow behind camper. Hoping to live cheap for afew years off the grid until I have enough $$$$$ saved up to build a tiny home and build up my credit in mean time as well. Will continue to keep my D2 in mechanical shape with routine maintenance but no projects for awhile.

Hoping to start my roadtrip in late January.

Old 11-09-2016, 11:47 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts

Your "terms", not "Demands". Got it. If you talked to me that way when trying to negotiate a deal I'd tell you to go pound sand.

I know exactly how much work is involved in a donor truck swap. Just about as much as a frame swap. I've stripped down 3 trucks in my driveway including my trail rig with all sorts of accessories.

Knowing how much work will be involved when you do begin your frame/donor swap it might be prudent to stop bolting crap on that you're going to have to take off?

The way to build credit is with small manageable loans and ALWAYS making the payment on time. Use a credit card and pay it off EVERY month.

Roadtrip to where?

We talked over the phone about a possible exchange. Donor belongs to his buddy so he cant just sell/trade me the donor. He is located in Washington state. Given those facts a exchange mist likely wouldn't happen. The"demands" as you call them are actually mentioned in "most unlikely of scenarios" category so not really a demand.

You fail to realize how much work would be involved in swapping over ever new part I want from my current D2 to a donor. You also fail to remember that I do not have access to a garage space ideal for swapping over a bunch of parts from one D2 to another. Your method of stripping 2 vehicles in the driveway is not ideal but least you have a driveway to part all your little projects. I do so many fishing jobs in Alaska and NH that I have not had time to settle down and will not retire from fishing until I meet all my goals.

Come 2017 Im taking a break from this build to focus on aquiring my first acre of undeveloped land, and a 25 foot mid 00's tow behind camper. Hoping to live cheap for afew years off the grid until I have enough $$$$$ saved up to build a tiny home and build up my credit in mean time as well. Will continue to keep my D2 in mechanical shape with routine maintenance but no projects for awhile.

Hoping to start my roadtrip in late January.

Old 11-09-2016, 01:15 PM
Mudding
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Nope, all tires had 44 psi until removal. During Winter Romp tires were aired down but reinflated thereafter. The weights that keep the wheels balanced fell off over time and resulted in uneven wear on the tread and causing a vibration at 65 mph. The same vibration as said speak can be mistaken as a sure sighn your front drive shaft is failing.

Improved fuel economy is inconclusive at the moment. Every morning I warm up the truck for a good 15 minutes and on my way to work this morning I was getting an UG reading of 7.8 mpg. Furthermore check engine codes p1412 and p1415 popped up this morning while the truck was warming up. Work in progress.
That's interesting - I get the same vibration over 65mph but nothing at lower speeds. Was thinking it was tires rather than drive shaft too. Thanks!

Old 11-09-2016, 01:34 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

The way to build credit is with small manageable loans and ALWAYS making the payment on time. Use a credit card and pay it off EVERY month.
yes, this.

Pay your monthly expenses/bills with a CC and PAY IT OFF EVERY MONTH and, if you aren't still getting marks, you'll be over 700 faster than you think.

Also if it isn't old and/or rare and doesn't spend 99% of it's existence being wiped with a diaper in a climate controlled garage, then your vehicle is not an "investment". It is a depreciating asset.

Old 11-09-2016, 06:39 PM
TReK

Already have a college loan Im paying off, plus a secured credit card so credit wise Im on track. I don't like taking out loans if I can help it, now that Ive got my foot in the door as a deckhand I should be able to pay off most things up front with cash. But down the road I may need a great credit score for something or maybe take out a 50k loan for a Defender 110 or 70 Series Troopie.

Fish is starting to get it... If I was taking any offers for a donor truck seriously than might as well stop investing in new parts for my current D2 - but alas that's not the plan. I take care of my **** and have something to take pride in. I will resolve the p1412/p1415 codes and misfire issues before my road trip in early 2017.

Yes if your getting a vibration at 65mph than the easiest thing to check id your wheels, inspect the weights and look for any clues that your wheels might be out of balance.

Also my new Tom Woods front drive shaft should be here by late this week or early next week.

Old 11-12-2016, 01:19 PM
TReK

The new SAI pump and hose replacement did not resolve the p1412 and p1415 trouble codes so I inspected the SAI valve control unit and the SAI solenoid. I disconnected each rubber elbow one at a time and blew air through the tubes to see if I could locate any air leaks. Sure as **** one of the air tubes that connects the solenoid to the air reservoir on the passenger side is snapped. Not sure if this long tube is a SAI harness or what but its the next item on my replacement list. Im pretty sure replacing this tube will resolve the trouble codes.

Also I have an appointment on the 28 to have the misfires resolved. Going to wait on ordering new cats until after Don looks everything over. As it stands he does not believe my cats are dead or causing the misfires. Since the spark plugs, ignition wires, ignition coils and the block are all new, he believes there are only a small number of possible causes for the misfires and hes betting on fuel injectors.

Last edited by TRIARII; 11-12-2016 at 01:22 PM.
Old 11-12-2016, 01:19 PM
TReK
Old 11-12-2016, 04:19 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

I had to stop reading about week ago, I was loosing too much blood......If he posts pictures of lobsta' or any other seafood.......please pm me!!....

Quick Reply: The official TRIARII build