Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shock input needed?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2016, 10:10 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shock input needed?

Hey guys, i'm in the market for some new shocks. The truck as it sits is on the OME 2in kit. I'm looking at the Fox 2.0 kit that's made for the Disco, will that kit allow full droop? Have any of you guys run that kit? Would I be better off getting some new shock mounts and running something longer? I don't want to go much higher, but I want to get all of the travel out of the suspension set up.

I know it's a lot of questions, I have a tendency to make impulse buys haha. I just want to do it right the first time.

Old 12-14-2016, 03:06 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by TjTalan
Hey guys, i'm in the market for some new shocks. The truck as it sits is on the OME 2in kit. I'm looking at the Fox 2.0 kit that's made for the Disco, will that kit allow full droop? Have any of you guys run that kit? Would I be better off getting some new shock mounts and running something longer? I don't want to go much higher, but I want to get all of the travel out of the suspension set up.

I know it's a lot of questions, I have a tendency to make impulse buys haha. I just want to do it right the first time.
TJ I have a TF 3 inch lift (I am told it is the equivalent to the OME or RTE 2" lifts) plus some pucks and when I got the lift the people in the know told me I needed longer remake shocks so I got TF extended length shocks. I don't go Offroad so I can quite answer your question from experience, but people with experience told me I needed extended length shocks.

I don't like the TF shocks, BTW.

IIRC the Fox 2.0's are standard length.

You might hit up Alex_M, because IIRC he shortened his shock towers in a very clever way to use normal shocks with a lift. Otherwise you might want to ask the people at Lucky 8 or D&D Fabrications (they are always willing to answer questions), if you can't get a definitive answer here.

Old 12-14-2016, 09:38 AM
Drifting

Thanks for the reply. I might just get some lower front mounts and run the longer fox 2.0's.

Old 12-14-2016, 09:40 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

Can't go wrong with proper Fox shocks.

Old 12-14-2016, 09:52 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by ZGPhoto
Can't go wrong with proper Fox shocks.
Thats really my main question. When you say proper do you mean the kit designed for the Disco, or a 10 inch and a 12 inch?

Old 12-14-2016, 10:38 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

Personally, I'd convert to eye-eye. Definitely superior to the stock applications, and lets you run so many different options. A D2 is pretty easy to convert, as is a D1. I've done it to both to run 1/2" top and bottom.

You'll be hindered by the watts linkage, sway bars, and then finally radius arms as far as articulation goes.

Old 12-14-2016, 03:49 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 971 Likes on 646 Posts

If you're on a budget and have a buddy with a welder (or one of your own) then cutting and lowering the front towers and making lower mounts out of square stock to weld onto the rears is a viable option. Works perfectly for me. That's what I did and if I recall you can find pictures somewhere in the link in my signature.

If you have the coin to spend, however, fox is the way to go. it's a sweet setup that you will definitely be happy with from what I've heard.

Old 12-14-2016, 04:49 PM
Winching
Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts

If you end up selling the ome shocks I might be interested.

Old 12-14-2016, 05:25 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

Sorry for all of my typos, above. Ugh.

Old 12-15-2016, 12:11 AM
TReK
Received 504 Likes on 419 Posts

From what I understand from L8 2" lift can use normal shock. Greater than that then the +2's.

Quick Reply: Shock input needed?