Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Head gasket replacement and what else?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2016, 11:09 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 112 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by chubbs878
The debris would be the carbon buildup from bottom of cyl-heads and tops of Pistons and some small pieces of antifreeze/oil/dirt particles such as that you would find on the valley gasket. Should have left that damn thing on there; I will know next time huh? Did you take your lifters apart? I have to look into that so I can get all of the rust out of the top. I will need to remove the oil pan at some point, right?
I also thought about putting the parts back on. I'm worried about scratching up the heads but it's still the best option. I won't be able to bolt it down though. There is so much $hitt in the bolt holes and I have no compressed air to clean them out at the moment. What about this, say you?

What are the different sealants and their purpose? I got some RTV silicone and copper coat stuff but nothing fancy. Didn't plan on doing anything other than HG replace but NOW I will consider myself lucky to do everything just short of a complete engine rebuild.
None of the foreign elements which fell into the valley are capable of damaging journal bearings, camshaft bearings, or anything else, right?!
i didn't take my lifters off since I wasn't replacing the cam. That should be fine. That only place you use the sealant (the loctite or right stuff is on the valley gasket and a little on the valve covers to keep the gasket in place.

Old 12-24-2016, 11:11 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by chubbs878
The debris would be the carbon buildup from bottom of cyl-heads and tops of Pistons and some small pieces of antifreeze/oil/dirt particles such as that you would find on the valley gasket. Should have left that damn thing on there; I will know next time huh? Did you take your lifters apart? I have to look into that so I can get all of the rust out of the top. I will need to remove the oil pan at some point, right?
I also thought about putting the parts back on. I'm worried about scratching up the heads but it's still the best option. I won't be able to bolt it down though. There is so much $hitt in the bolt holes and I have no compressed air to clean them out at the moment. What about this, say you?

What are the different sealants and their purpose? I got some RTV silicone and copper coat stuff but nothing fancy. Didn't plan on doing anything other than HG replace but NOW I will consider myself lucky to do everything just short of a complete engine rebuild.
None of the foreign elements which fell into the valley are capable of damaging journal bearings, camshaft bearings, or anything else, right?!
as for the crud falling into the valley, it should be fine. You will have to remove your oil pan though to get all the crap out that went down before you fill it up with good oil and crank her up

Old 12-24-2016, 11:42 PM
Pro Wrench

And as for the bolt holes being full of crud, dab a paper towel to get what you can and use 2-3 of your old head bolt to help hold em on. Don't screw em in too far, just a few turns. That should help with the dowels to help hold them on.

Old 12-25-2016, 08:14 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 111 Likes on 104 Posts

Got it done. Cyl-heads, intake mani and VC set in place with gaskets and a couple of bolts. Now I have to get all of the lifters cleaned up and stored. Will check RAVE on disassembling those. I still have to get a new crank seal on it today. The only tool I have to hold the pulley in place just gives and bent the 2-bolts I had it fastened to the pulley with. Tried several dif ways and it's just pissing me off. Have a 1/2" drive impact; only way to get it in there is to lift the radiator assembly up so now I get to unfasten 1-more thing. I might have to wait until I remove the oil sump & get some msrmt for a board to stand in between ground and crankshaft.

Last edited by chubbs878; 12-25-2016 at 08:18 AM.
Old 12-25-2016, 08:17 AM
Baja
Received 718 Likes on 623 Posts

Drop the pan, 2"x4" under a crank lobe, and loosen with a breaker bar.

Old 12-28-2016, 07:56 PM
Pro Wrench
Default Making progress

Getting around to getting some stuff back on

Old 01-03-2017, 07:13 PM
Pro Wrench

Well got some of the stuff assembled so far woo hoo!!!

Old 01-03-2017, 10:07 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 111 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Luckyjayb
Well got some of the stuff assembled so far woo hoo!!!

That looks sharp, you did good brah!

Old 01-04-2017, 05:57 PM
Pro Wrench

Got the exhaust manifolds on today and torqued down properly and yea they are ceramic coated. Had to get em made to last!!!

Old 01-04-2017, 05:58 PM
Pro Wrench

Now just waiting on the rest of the parts to come in so I can get it all completed....and off days from work and the honey do list.

Quick Reply: Head gasket replacement and what else?