Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Extra cooling upgrades for the D2? (Towing and pulling grades)

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2017, 01:56 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Friday Night Disco
Hey Robert - Not to pressure you...but, I am highly considering redoing my radiator. Meaning, replacing all the mounts and radiator itself. Was kind of holding off on this project till I heard back on the potential group pricing. Also...depending on which way you go, I am in the market for all the radiator mounting equipment if you have left over bits.
i haven't heard back from Allisport yet, left a message this morning. I actually have a full second set of OE mounts if you need them?

Old 01-31-2017, 03:06 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 228 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert Booth
i haven't heard back from Allisport yet, left a message this morning. I actually have a full second set of OE mounts if you need them?
yes, interested will pm you later today

Old 02-01-2017, 07:56 AM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

What exactly is wrong with our genuine radiators? Most D2's with cooling issues have between 100k-160k and are over 12 years old... As long proper spec coolant is used and cooling system is flushed every 2-3 years the radiator is fine? Am I missing something?

Old 02-01-2017, 08:34 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 970 Likes on 645 Posts

I totally forgot to upload these earlier. Sorry for the delay.

Old 02-01-2017, 02:11 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by TRIARII
What exactly is wrong with our genuine radiators? Most D2's with cooling issues have between 100k-160k and are over 12 years old... As long proper spec coolant is used and cooling system is flushed every 2-3 years the radiator is fine? Am I missing something?
You've commented a few times on this thread Julian so I'll assume that you're already up to speed on the specific scenarios that have me on the hunt for greater cooling.

With regards to the stock radiator and cooling setup on the D2 that's also been well discussed and documented.
Bottom line is that if someone wants to modfify their vehicle away from stock configuration, then they need to be prepared to address the consequences of the modifications. With my truck, I need to regear it.

Additionally, a higher quality Allisport aluminium radiator should theoretically provide me with more cooling when the engine is under load.

Old 02-02-2017, 08:21 AM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert Booth
You've commented a few times on this thread Julian so I'll assume that you're already up to speed on the specific scenarios that have me on the hunt for greater cooling.

With regards to the stock radiator and cooling setup on the D2 that's also been well discussed and documented.
Bottom line is that if someone wants to modfify their vehicle away from stock configuration, then they need to be prepared to address the consequences of the modifications. With my truck, I need to regear it.

Additionally, a higher quality Allisport aluminium radiator should theoretically provide me with more cooling when the engine is under load.

Yes Im to speed with your unique circumstances but these other folks Im wondering about. As for the radiator Ive never found any material to suggest the stock rad was in any way defective. The engine block on the other hand serms to be the source of most cooling related issues. Also the stock thermostat. Only horror stories Ive heard regarding the radiator had to do with owners putting in wrong coolant or even worse.... Coolant stop leak. Doing so supposidly clogs the rad yada yada yada.

Old 02-02-2017, 01:57 PM
Recovery Vehicle

My thought is that anyone with a bunch of bolts ons and large tires might experience similar challenges if they're spending a lot of time in low range offroad, with large tires and without regearing.

Old 02-23-2017, 11:59 AM
Overlanding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How sketchy does this aluminum radiator seem to everyone as a possible US option to the Allsport? Located so close I may stop by and take a look ...

4Row Aluminum Radiator For Land Rover Range Rover Discovery Series 1&2 3.9L-4.2 | eBay

Robert, I noticed the same thing regarding gearing with my 95 RRC towing up hills. How are you getting the rig re-geared? There is a local shop here in San Diego, CA which manufactures drivetrain bolt-on gearing which adds half gears to your stock gearing set-up. Still haven't see the product, and at $3500 it's probably not any decent kind of solution.. but regearing a tranny or diff isn't cheap either unless you're doing the work yourself.

Old 02-23-2017, 07:13 PM
Recovery Vehicle

I'm going to bite the bullet and get re-geared difs from Lucky8. I'll be going from the stock 3.54's to 4.11's.
One silver lining is that I'll go to a Trutrac up front and a Detroit Locker in the rear at the same time. You're right, it's expensive and why I haven't done it yet. I'll probably cave and get the Allisport radiator as well. I'll be out in the middle of nowhere with my kids in so need to still do some work to "bulletproof my rig"