Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Catalytic Converter..............

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2016, 04:47 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Catalytic Converter..............

Hi guys,

Considering purchasing another '01 Disco II. Seller says there is a problem with the catalytic converters. Says, "installed the right side cat, but the monitors won't set, no check engine light though." What does this mean???

Seller says it runs great, he is a LR tech (don't know where yet) and he has taken care of the car, has completed all work himself and has the receipts. New fuel pump, water pump, battery, good tires and brakes. Car has 135K miles, but the engine has 15K miles only. He said he will pay for smog & registration once deal is reached.

I still have my totaled '01, is it possible to use the Y pipe form my old '01? I told him I have a parts car and since he is a tech he can help me repair. Said he will ;-)

Thoughts & Comments anyone?

Old 01-17-2016, 12:58 AM
Winching
Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

If the cats in that Disco are originals then they are worth money. I replaced my cats 2 years back and the money I made off selling the old ones for scrap covered the cost of the new cats and the install. $300.00
It's been running great since.

hope that helps.

Old 01-17-2016, 01:23 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 971 Likes on 646 Posts

Cost of metal, including platinum, has gone down a LOT. you can still just about break even if you get your new cats at a discount online at advance auto with their online discount (changes monthly, find it on the top of their home page on a banner), but you wont make money any more and aftermarket replacements won't last as long. I'd recommend keeping the originals if they're still good.

And yes, they will swap right in. Get ready to put new studs in your exhaust manifolds though, or better yet replace them with bolts.

Old 02-14-2017, 07:31 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by toofaroffroad
If the cats in that Disco are originals then they are worth money. I replaced my cats 2 years back and the money I made off selling the old ones for scrap covered the cost of the new cats and the install. $300.00
It's been running great since.

hope that helps.
A year later, but...did you swap out the cats only or replace the entire y-pipe?

Old 02-14-2017, 07:33 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Alex_M
Cost of metal, including platinum, has gone down a LOT. you can still just about break even if you get your new cats at a discount online at advance auto with their online discount (changes monthly, find it on the top of their home page on a banner), but you wont make money any more and aftermarket replacements won't last as long. I'd recommend keeping the originals if they're still good.

And yes, they will swap right in. Get ready to put new studs in your exhaust manifolds though, or better yet replace them with bolts.
Sorry to post on this thread a whole year later but my question is should I swap out the cats only or replace the whole wide pipe assembly? I have remove the entire y-pipe assembly from my other 2001 disco 2 but I am not certain if I should just swap the cats from it or replace the whole assembly.
Thanks!

Old 02-14-2017, 08:24 AM
TReK
Received 199 Likes on 176 Posts

So youre taking the old cats from another disco, right? It its working, easier to swap the entire Y. If just the cats, it will cost you more to cu, install and weld. I am about to replace mine but I am considering getting the Y. Why, to purchase the cats and have it welded will cost just about the same if you purchase the entire new Y and bolt it yourself.

Old 02-14-2017, 08:44 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 112 Likes on 108 Posts

I got the aftermarket magnaflow on oem federal emissions ones and can't be more pleased. They sound great and make me feel a little better improvement

Old 02-14-2017, 09:08 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Luckyjayb
I got the aftermarket magnaflow on oem federal emissions ones and can't be more pleased. They sound great and make me feel a little better improvement
Lucky do you have a link to the Magnaflow cats you bought? Thanks

Old 02-14-2017, 09:23 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 112 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Rosslato
Lucky do you have a link to the Magnaflow cats you bought? Thanks
i ordered them from eBay after I went to the magnaflow website and found the proper part number. But here is the link to the ones I bought for our vehicle.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/121382229698

i also had them ceramic coated before installing to help lower temps by the prop shaft

The following users liked this post:
Rosslato (02-14-2017)
Old 02-14-2017, 10:01 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Those are sick and if i put them on my truck it would double its value lol

Quick Reply: Catalytic Converter..............