General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

latest on the tear down

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2017, 10:53 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only thing I can figure is that either they didn't want to have to torque it a ton or they might not be mating up properly after torque causing a leak. I guess I'll try the 2 new sets that I have and see how it does. What is the purpose of stacking the upper intake gaskets, if you don't mind me asking?

Old 05-24-2017, 07:08 AM
TReK
Received 789 Likes on 655 Posts

While they might look like they are multiple sets stacked together, the exhaust manifold gaskets that came with my rebuild kit were tacked in the centre. Once they're installed they probably come apart over time and give the appearance of multiple sets, but it seems like that's how they are supposed to be used.

The following users liked this post:
mudpuppy229 (05-24-2017)
Old 05-26-2017, 01:29 AM
Mudding
Default first look at heads

Honestly, I didn't look at the heads when I took them off... just a glance and put them away for the night. Here they are a couple days later. The first one is the passenger side and is a salvage from the last time someone did a head job.... notable from the salvage mark. not sure if both are salvage since most salvage yards would only sell them in sets.. but, I have seen some lone ones being sold solo.

The second is (obviously) the driver side and the one that had the totally blown out 3rd cylinder gasket. It was actually not that hard to clean as was the passenger side... but like I said... they might be salvage and replaced not that many miles ago. I included a pic of the stuff I'm using and relied on the earlier post and just used it with a rag and "sponged it" on both the block and the heads. This stuff is amazing and , although some of the old school people think it has lost it's punch... it still has plenty. I soak my rods in it while scrubbing the heads and the block... wipe them off and go to the next.
Any whoo... once again... comments are welcome... and I hope you enjoy my journey as much as I am hating it lol.
passenger side before

passenger after

driver's side before

Driver's after

cleaning parts nectar of the gods

Old 05-26-2017, 01:37 AM
Mudding

I still wanna clean that last cylinder head a little more... and I still need to do the final wipe down... then a final final wipe before I set the gaskets and drop the heads back on I'm using a fast dry wax/ paint remover usually reserved for prepping body work for painting. have to say... pretty excited at this point that I've almost crossed the hump to re-assembly... lord I hope it fires right up... really miss my ride. this will be the last of this thread...I'll start a new one when I start putting it back together... god speed to everyone and thanks for all the heads up (s)

Old 05-26-2017, 06:40 AM
TReK
Received 789 Likes on 655 Posts

I use oven cleaner on the steel parts like rocker arms, push rods, etc. Cheap and easy to find, and it works really well.
Using it on aluminium parts is okay if you don't leave it too long, otherwise the metal will start to discolour. For this reason I avoid the head faces, shaft journals, etc.

mudpuppy229 (05-26-2017)
Old 05-26-2017, 07:56 AM
TReK
Received 472 Likes on 389 Posts

Mud, it is a pretty good idea to have those head machined to make sure they are absolutely flat and allow the gasket to do its work properly.

The following 2 users liked this post by WaltNYC:
loanrangie (05-27-2017), mudpuppy229 (05-26-2017)
Old 05-26-2017, 02:16 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 111 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by mudpuppy229
The only thing I can figure is that either they didn't want to have to torque it a ton or they might not be mating up properly after torque causing a leak. I guess I'll try the 2 new sets that I have and see how it does. What is the purpose of stacking the upper intake gaskets, if you don't mind me asking?

those gaskets are stacked in the instance that the mating faces of the 2 parts are not perfectly flat. I don't know about everyone else, but the face of my banana manifold is somewhat convex & 1 plenum gasket will not seal it to the lower intake manifold. 2 works better, as I can't bring myself to slather everything in a tube of RTV silicone. I would have first taken and had it machined true before I did that. I just used the 1-year old gasket already in my application, then added the new gasket that came with the top end setup.

mudpuppy229 (05-26-2017)