Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do with your DII today?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2017, 05:04 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I finally got the old front drive shaft off and the new Lucky8 one installed. The difference is night and day.

Old 06-13-2017, 10:54 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Luckyjayb
Forgot to add that I cracked my instrument cluster cover so gotta find another now. It's always something. Gotta love the d2
Did you crack the tabs or the surface? My tabs on the bottom are gone and I've been trying to figure out if I can fix it a different way.

Old 06-13-2017, 02:43 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 112 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Mskembo
Did you crack the tabs or the surface? My tabs on the bottom are gone and I've been trying to figure out if I can fix it a different way.
the tabs were already broke and I rectified that by using thin sheet metal and 2 part epoxy. It actually cracked the whole top part. As for screwing it in on the front, I used some bigger screws that were black to match.

Old 06-14-2017, 05:37 PM
Mudding
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by JUKE179r
I saw that on your previous post and it looks great. Not saying I'm criminal minded but... I'd worry someone sees the mount and smash the windows thinking I have a smart phone/tablet stashed in my truck.
With my foldable iPad cover I can take it with me.

With iPad

Without

Last edited by MacRoadie; 06-14-2017 at 05:39 PM.
Old 06-14-2017, 09:28 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 112 Likes on 108 Posts

Zonk what front bumper bumper do you have on your rig. I like it.

Originally Posted by Zonk872
Not looking forward to dropping my headliner. This will be my third time. First was to recover headliner 5 years ago. 2nd time was a few months ago switching to 04' style rails. I have rear AC.

This next time will be to finish the roof. Being in Florida sun 24/7 the clearcoat went bad between the rails. Definitely did not want to spend the money for a repaint and clear coat. I sprayed it with VHT Epoxy paint Satin black (rattle can). It worked great on my bumpers. But it did not last up top 😂. It faded and chalked up.

Then I decided to paint it with Plasti Dip but it lasted a year. So I resprayed it again for a second year.

After getting tired of spraying Plasti Dip yearly I stripped it off. Not fun! Black Magic tire spray is the tip for removing. Tried everything. Day and a half later it is back to the VHT look until the Monstaliner bedliner comes in. I am going to prep the entire roof. Prime it with their Epoxy primer and put (2) coats on. Then reinstall the roof rails. Linex wanted $700.00 to coat the roof. Most other Do It Yourself liners don't have the UV rating and will not last. Monstaliner has 100% rating. Should be good for 5 years. Yes black is going to be hot! But Silver bedliner would not match and silver in Linex too much money. It was fine in black since the VHT paint. Rear AC helps 😏.

The Monstaliner has a ton of YouTube videos. Later I plan to do the plastic arches, rear license plate trim, ladder light guards, bumpers and slider. It will look like this finish even though the photos are of other vehicles.

Cost will be ~$250.00 and it should take 2 days weather permitting. I will update photos when done. I plan to have it done by the end of the month.

Old 06-15-2017, 06:38 AM
Overlanding
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Monstaliner

Do you guys think I could put that monstaliner over top of cracking clear coat? I have a Red DII like the one in the picture and having issues with the clear coat. I've re painted the driver door, but hood and top are real bad.

BTW, I've already done my arches with it, turned out great and lasting perfect.

Originally Posted by Zonk872
Not looking forward to dropping my headliner. This will be my third time. First was to recover headliner 5 years ago. 2nd time was a few months ago switching to 04' style rails. I have rear AC.

This next time will be to finish the roof. Being in Florida sun 24/7 the clearcoat went bad between the rails. Definitely did not want to spend the money for a repaint and clear coat. I sprayed it with VHT Epoxy paint Satin black (rattle can). It worked great on my bumpers. But it did not last up top 😂. It faded and chalked up.

Then I decided to paint it with Plasti Dip but it lasted a year. So I resprayed it again for a second year.

After getting tired of spraying Plasti Dip yearly I stripped it off. Not fun! Black Magic tire spray is the tip for removing. Tried everything. Day and a half later it is back to the VHT look until the Monstaliner bedliner comes in. I am going to prep the entire roof. Prime it with their Epoxy primer and put (2) coats on. Then reinstall the roof rails. Linex wanted $700.00 to coat the roof. Most other Do It Yourself liners don't have the UV rating and will not last. Monstaliner has 100% rating. Should be good for 5 years. Yes black is going to be hot! But Silver bedliner would not match and silver in Linex too much money. It was fine in black since the VHT paint. Rear AC helps 😏.

The Monstaliner has a ton of YouTube videos. Later I plan to do the plastic arches, rear license plate trim, ladder light guards, bumpers and slider. It will look like this finish even though the photos are of other vehicles.

Cost will be ~$250.00 and it should take 2 days weather permitting. I will update photos when done. I plan to have it done by the end of the month.

Old 06-15-2017, 07:20 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Luckyjayb
Zonk what front bumper bumper do you have on your rig. I like it.
Rovertym Slimline. I bought it used for $600.00 and refinished it. The previous bumper was the infamous Bottorf Lil Guy.

Last edited by Zonk872; 06-15-2017 at 07:28 AM.
Old 06-15-2017, 07:26 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by 99RedDisco
Do you guys think I could put that monstaliner over top of cracking clear coat? I have a Red DII like the one in the picture and having issues with the clear coat. I've re painted the driver door, but hood and top are real bad.

Yikes! Replying to back to back posts repeat all of my photos! Sorry guys!

I am going to use the epoxy primer on the roof. It is not required on steel as long as it is prepped good. But it will bond better. As far as the hood. You have to use the epoxy primer. It is aluminum and will not bond good. Go to their site or call them. They mentioned certain surfaces that need a primer.

Did you prep the plastic? They recommend an adhesive promoter like Bulldog for bonding.

Good Luck👍🏻

Last edited by Zonk872; 06-15-2017 at 07:30 AM.
Old 06-15-2017, 05:24 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by 99RedDisco

I used Liner Xtreem to coat my FZJ80 that had had bad clear coat on the hood, roof and the tops of the front fenders. I sanded off the clear that was bubbling and pealing down to the paint but just scuffed the rest and it turned out fine. I will be using it again to coat the roof of my D2.

What I used, Welcome to Liner Xtreeme | Bedliners to tuffen all your toys!

80 series pictures,https://goo.gl/photos/QFViuDi4er4HABmE8

Old 06-15-2017, 05:33 PM
Rock Crawling

[QUOTE=Alex J;608894]I used Liner Xtreem to coat my FZJ80 that had had bad clear coat on the hood, roof and the tops of the front fenders. I sanded off the clear that was bubbling and pealing down to the paint but just scuffed the rest and it turned out fine. I will be using it again to coat the roof of my D2.

What I used, Welcome to Liner Xtreeme Bedliners to tuffen all your toys!

80 series pictures,https://goo.gl/photos/QFViuDi4er4HABmE8[/QUOTE

Nice job👍🏻

Quick Reply: What did you do with your DII today?