LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thoughts on knockoff RAI

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2017, 06:49 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 139 Likes on 110 Posts
Default Thoughts on knockoff RAI

There have been other people who have posted success on installing the knockoff OEM raised air intake off of eBay, but I thought I'd give my impressions as well. I purchased mine months ago after a couple of people took the chance and ensured it would fit our cars (and not just the diesel LR4). However, I just got around to installing it this past weekend due to a bunch of reasons... the main one being that kids take up all my time.

This thing definitely fits our cars. There is no issue with that aspect. The plastic is very thick and seems to be of good quality. Cast/mold seams are visible at certain points, but not a detractor at all. I would wager that it is within 90% of the quality of OEM. UV degradation is something I will only be able to judge with time.

It comes with all of the necessary hardware to install. You just need to supply the tools. I purchased a RivNut gun off of Amazon to help with the installation. I supposed I could have just used a bolt and nuts to seat the rivnut, but I waned to make sure this thing was on properly.

Somebody else had posted that they had a very difficult time drilling through the A-pillar for the top mounting bolt. I experienced no such issues. Maybe I just had a sharp drill bit or drilled in a slightly different spot, but it couldn't have taken more than 5-10 seconds to drill through that spot. However, that particular bolt did give me some trouble due to fitment. The upper bracket placed the upper bolt right at the seam of where the black molding meets the roof. Instructions state that the hole should really be where a hole is already drilled for a molding alignment pin. Since I couldn't drill in the spot where the bracket would place the bolt (due to a non-flat area), I chose to Dremel out the metal bracket to make the "slot" longer and further to one side. This allowed me to place the upper bolt in the pre-existing hole. I drilled this out to slightly larger diameter and placed my Rivnut at that location.

I don't know what quality the hardware is yet, but it honestly looks like stainless steel. I'll cross my fingers and hope... All hardware necessary was supplied, including the rivnut. They are not the same size rivnut supplied with the OEM though because one thing I learned very fast was that the size hole the instructions say to drill is too small for these rivnuts. Don't just go by the OEM instructions. See what fits yours before you drill.

Two brackets are included for the main body of the RAI where it fits into the air intake. I'm not sure what the second one is for... perhaps the diesel LR4? I only used the one that fit our configuration.

The RAI is the later version with no slots in the front. I believe there was an early version of the OEM RAI that had open slits in the front of the RAI top part.

Aside from that, the only other information I can provide is that it included hose clamps for the tube that is supposed be snaked through the side of the car into the air box. However, I had no tube in my car and did not get one with the kit. Thus the clamps are going into a storage box somewhere in the garage. It also means this is definitely not waterproof at all.

Total cost was about $155 shipped for the RAI (used an eBay coupon) and $60 for the rivnut gun. That's about it... here are a few pics.

Last edited by cmb6s; 06-26-2017 at 08:54 PM.
Old 06-26-2017, 10:27 PM
Mudding
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

looks good and is on my own list along with winch, once I find a set of 18"wheels and add the JRs.

Old 06-27-2017, 04:08 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 130 Likes on 119 Posts

My .02 is that only the safari version (the genuine one) is worth installing. The OEM RAI and knockoffs barely help with dust. Tons of effort to install the good ones and extremely hard to get them to seal perfectly anyway. Even on the genuine Safari it is hard to get it airtight, and only a pressure test will tell. As is the stock intake is fine, what would help is to run the tube from the air box to the wing inlet that only the Diesel ROW models have and the V8 ones in america do not have. That would help a lot for nose down water ingress alone say splashing into a deep puddle.

Safari also did a study comparing their product to the china knockoffs and the quality of the plastics used were terrible for UV durability and consistency of the plastic makeup.

If I did another LR3 I would not bother with snorkel/RAI.