Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

amount of Refrigerant

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2017, 07:25 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default amount of Refrigerant

Installed new Compressor it was broken. All Data's specification is 32oz of 134a.
I don't have any leak i have dye in the system. My AC never got cold enough even before the replacement. still not cold enough.

any suggestion?

anyone knows what would be the pressure on the low side and high side if i connect the gauge?

Thanks

Old 08-26-2017, 04:54 AM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by sayeedA
Installed new Compressor it was broken. All Data's specification is 32oz of 134a.
I don't have any leak i have dye in the system. My AC never got cold enough even before the replacement. still not cold enough.

any suggestion?

anyone knows what would be the pressure on the low side and high side if i connect the gauge?

Thanks
What's the condition is your A/C radiator/condenser? Sometimes the old un's start to play games.

https://www.google.fr/search?q=diagr...9rrLH2Ar8OHtM:

Old 08-26-2017, 08:18 AM
Baja
Received 721 Likes on 626 Posts

This would be a good guideline

The following users liked this post:
OffroadFrance (08-26-2017)
Old 08-26-2017, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by abran
This would be a good guideline

X1 .......... useful info Abran.

To the OP, don't play with the HP valve unless you have the right kit and know what you're doing ....... it'll blow you inside out otherwise.

Old 08-26-2017, 10:10 AM
Rock Crawling

[QUOTE=OffroadFrance;617374]What's the condition is your A/C radiator/condenser? Sometimes the old un's start to play games.

Thanks. I also replaced the Dryer. Attaching a pic i took when i was installing. The condenser definitely old/original. I don't believe it would be that difficult to replace that.

any recommendation/brands etc.

Thanks

Attached Thumbnails amount of Refrigerant-img_7614.jpg  
Old 08-26-2017, 11:09 AM

[QUOTE=sayeedA;617403]
Originally Posted by OffroadFrance
What's the condition is your A/C radiator/condenser? Sometimes the old un's start to play games.

Thanks. I also replaced the Dryer. Attaching a pic i took when i was installing. The condenser definitely old/original. I don't believe it would be that difficult to replace that.

any recommendation/brands etc.

Thanks
There are literally dozens on Ebay but some are cheapo but Nissens looks good and they have a good reputation.

Don't use your D2 until you have replaced all the parts you want to and recharged the system with oil and gas otherwise you'll kill the new compressor and screw up all of the seals. Even if you use DIY refills prior to a trip to the A/C shop be sure not to risk it. I'm not positive of the quantity of oil and gas but it's in RAVE but be sure that there is a difference in quantity between front A/C only and front plus rear A/C. (Attach the DIY refills to the LP valve ONLY)

Old 08-26-2017, 11:13 AM
Rock Crawling

[QUOTE=OffroadFrance;617410]
Originally Posted by sayeedA

There are literally dozens on Ebay but some are cheapo but Nissens looks good and they have a good reputation.

Don't use your D2 until you have replaced all the parts you want to and recharged the system with oil and gas otherwise you'll kill the new compressor and screw up all of the seals. Even if you use DIY refills prior to a trip to the A/C shop be sure not to risk it. I'm not positive of the quantity of oil and gas but it's in RAVE but be sure that there is a difference in quantity between front A/C only and front plus rear A/C. (Attach the DIY refills to the LP valve ONLY)
Understood. Thank you. its going to be a while before I get to it

Old 08-26-2017, 10:58 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 189 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by JUKE179r
The most I ever got was 318 miles (13.5mpg avg) on my 2001 Disco.
What does a gallon of R-134A cost these days?

Old 08-27-2017, 03:50 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 895 Likes on 646 Posts

From the RAVE.

Attached Thumbnails amount of Refrigerant-photo609.jpg  
Old 08-27-2017, 08:33 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,278 Likes on 897 Posts

If you had a major failure inside the compressor, you should have replaced the expansion valve also. They will get plugged very easily, with bits and pieces of exploding vanes, seals, etc...from inside your old compressor.

Also, after replacing the compressor and receiver drier...did you flush and vacuum down the system? This removes all of the excess debris and moisture from the system.

Your condenser (in front of radiator) and evaporator (in dash) basically move freon in different states, vapor and liquid. There really isn't much that can go wrong with them, besides leaks.

You need to throw some gauges on it, high and low side, and see what your readings are.

But if it were me, and considering what I've read about your repair...I'd have the freon reclaimed, change the expansion valve, flush the system (piece by piece, since you've already changed the receiver drier...and you don't want to force debris into that), reassemble, vacuum system down (then checking for any leaks) and if everything checks out okay..refill with proper freon...with gauges.

Brian.

Last edited by The Deputy; 08-27-2017 at 08:36 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Felipe (08-27-2017)

Quick Reply: amount of Refrigerant