Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

New AM production of cargo door handle housing

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2017, 11:31 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Default New AM production of cargo door handle housing

So I been looking for one of these for AWHILE. Discontinued and I could only find used. Mine is all cracked up and many others I’ve seen suffer the same. Gonna be a few weeks as coming from Malaysia. See how it is upon arrival.

https://m.ebay.com/itm/Land-Rover-Di...72.m2749.l2648

Old 10-16-2017, 01:23 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 122 Likes on 105 Posts

mine has a nasty crack on top so I will be watching ..

Old 10-20-2017, 08:49 AM
TReK
Received 161 Likes on 136 Posts

I have a couple of used ones on hand that are in great shape with nice green oval Land Rover emblems and they're a lot less than $100.

Old 10-21-2017, 10:18 AM
Rock Crawling

Dang. Story of my life. Always a day late and more than a buck overpaid.

I will say this. The piece got here from Malaysia in 4 days and it’s very, very well done. Solidly constructed and accurate. Fits gasket perfectly and everything lines up as it should. I’d post pics of it mounted but I’m in the beginning of raptor lining my truck and don’t wanna put it on to pull it off.... It’s a bit of a beatchhhh mounting that sucker.
I did do a side by side to the old piece and measurements are perfectly matched.

Old 12-09-2017, 05:27 PM
Rock Crawling

Finally got to mounting this today. Was not too bad but did discover somethings, minor, but holdups nonetheless. First, the housing is missing a couple of cuts I didn’t notice originally. The small cut outs to allow the tag light wires to fit are missing so you gotta make them. Also the cuts for the tag light assembly mounting screws are missing so you gotta make them too. Second, keep your slide on lock nuts for the tag light assemblies off your old housing cuz you’ll need them too.
Other than that it fits very well. Mine is only 99% done because apparently there’s a small bolt that comes from the outside - inside that outer latch opening that completes the covers mounting and my truck never had one? I searched through all my loose junk and didn’t have one that fit so.... gotta try to buy one tomorrow to wrap it up. I have no idea what size it is???

It does take sooooome time due to the need to remove a bunch of the locking mecanism inside the door to get to the two interior mounting nuts. I’ve done that before so I was prepared. If you’re doing this for the first time, take COPIOUS pictures of how all the rods go and how everything joins AND take notes or make drawings. It’s complicated. You have the interior handle, exterior handle, electric lock, interior button, lock latch, exterior keyed lock, AND the child latch that ALL have to join up correctly.
Have a bunch of needle nose pliers, screw drivers, etc.... on hand.

If if you’re a puzzle genius by all means just go for it. Otherwise please heed my warnings. I’ve done these like four times now and it still took me two hours.

The following users liked this post:
OverRover (12-09-2017)
Old 12-09-2017, 05:48 PM
TReK
Received 653 Likes on 559 Posts

I appreciate the honest review with both the good and bad info.

Seems most only tend to post all the good aspects of a project and leave out the FYI type of info. I guess they need to sugarcoat their "mistakes" to feel better.