Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Back in the Disco Club! But shes a Low Rider

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2018, 03:44 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Back in the Disco Club! But shes a Low Rider

After just a year or so without a Land Rover and many months searching for another (why do we do this to ourselves?), I am finally back in the empty-your-wallet club!

Picked up a relatively clean 2004 Disco HSE with 146,000KM (90k miles)on it. Second owner serviced at Land Rover here in Canada. Nothing too major done to it other than regular service and coolant reservoir replacement.

I have of course gone ahead and ordered the 180-degree thermostat, have the Ultraguage in their already, running at around 204-206 degrees Fahrenheit so will help cool it down. Additionally, I have some SAI codes being thrown (P1412,P1415) - after checking hoses and fittings going to go with the SAI solenoid replacement, see if I can nip that in the bud.

Once I have cooling and running under control ill start looking at fun stuff like the lift/tires, a rack for my RTT etc.

It's not my daily driver so I'm not too worried, but are these HSE models supposed to sink to the bump stops when parked? It levels out when started and hasn't bottomed out while driving but when its parked this thing is slammed! Don't think I have ever stood next to a disco and been able to see over the roof and I'm only 5"11.

Riding Dirty

Old 02-07-2018, 04:29 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,281 Likes on 899 Posts

How can you have green grass where you're at...ain't fair I tell ya.

Nice looking rig, granted a suspension rework is in order.

Welcome back to the darkside.

Brian.

Old 02-07-2018, 05:35 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 390 Likes on 317 Posts

Congrats. Always liked the look of the A bars. And yes, suspension needs work. Airbags shot I suppose. Replace with springs.

Old 02-07-2018, 06:50 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

That's the perfect excuse to install a lift. Nice looking D2, reminds me of the black 04 that I had.

Old 02-07-2018, 08:52 PM
Winching
Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

She's lovely (if a little leaky). Welcome back!
Everyone replaces with springs, but that just seems like defeat. Fix them!

There: $104 CAD each from LR Direct....

https://www.lrdirect.com/RKB101200-s...ppneuride.html

Old 02-08-2018, 09:35 PM
2nd Gear

Mine would do this on colder days because the air springs were leaking. I replaced the factory ones with Arnott air springs and it's held the air pressure and rode well ever since. It wasn't a hard job once I figured out to jack it up on a section of the frame so the rear axle could drop all the way down. I've heard replacing with springs sacrifices some ride quality- but I guess you'd never have to worry about them again.

https://www.arnottindustries.com/pro...ery-2-lr2/2004

Old 02-08-2018, 10:02 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by DuBoseG1
Mine would do this on colder days because the air springs were leaking. I replaced the factory ones with Arnott air springs and it's held the air pressure and rode well ever since. It wasn't a hard job once I figured out to jack it up on a section of the frame so the rear axle could drop all the way down. I've heard replacing with springs sacrifices some ride quality- but I guess you'd never have to worry about them again.

https://www.arnottindustries.com/pro...ery-2-lr2/2004
It just rides like a regular D2 with coil springs. No different.

Old 02-08-2018, 10:05 PM
acg
Pro Wrench
Received 284 Likes on 217 Posts

Scott,

Welcome home to the fold. I am from the Chilliwack area. Hope to see you soon at one of our BC Roverlander events!

Old 02-08-2018, 11:10 PM
Three Wheeling

Thanks Everyone! As much as the air ride seems like a nice thing to keep, I have already ordered the Terrafirma 3" lift kit from Lucky8 as well as TF steering damper.

Need the height to put some real tires and eventually an HD winch bumper. Also have a Baja Expedition rack on my wishlist..but who knows.

Thanks ACG, Ill be back on a Roverlander mission soon, where is the next one?

Heres a shot of the truck not on its bump stops, this was literally seconds after the previous pic, closing the doors and starting it, up it went..

Old 02-08-2018, 11:14 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by scottmb23
Thanks Everyone! As much as the air ride seems like a nice thing to keep, I have already ordered the Terrafirma 3" lift kit from Lucky8 as well as TF steering damper.

Need the height to put some real tires and eventually an HD winch bumper. Also have a Baja Expedition rack on my wishlist..but who knows.
Good choice. That's gonna be a nice build. Enjoy it.

Quick Reply: Back in the Disco Club! But shes a Low Rider