Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radius Arm Bushings

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2018, 10:58 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 184 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by Alex_M
Thanks France, Jeff! Would you all believe I traded it for a bush hog I found in the weeds? Had been sitting in a field for a hand full of years. Tinkered on it about an hour and a half and drove it home.

Jeff, that sucks on the yellow poly bushings. Question; once they were in, did you lower the truck back down before tightening the bolts up? The weight has to be on the suspension Sion when you tighten it or you'll wreck the bushings pretty quick. And yes, taking the weight off the axles should be enough.

I hate press in bushings. I've never had trouble out of two piece bushings, but I've also never used them on a Land Rover.
I don't remember if I dropped the rig before tightening... I want to say no. So yeah, botched that job pretty good. Also, chassis side, the metal sleeve that the inner poly rides on has slid. In other words, the arm sits about an inch off center. I'll try to get a pic

Are they really press-in? As in, hydraulic press?

Originally Posted by Alex_M
Since you've got the two piece bushings in hand, would you care to take some measurements for me? The ID of the sleeve, the OD of the part of the bushings that slides into the arm, and the width of the whole area that sits in the arm.
I checked my parts, this is what I have left over, the rear radius arm kit. I think the sizes are different than the front, so I'll need to pick up a new set.

Old 03-24-2018, 12:04 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff Blake
Stupid question, when the manual says "raise front of vehicle" is it good enough to just lift the body a few inches so the weight is off the axles?

I'm looking to just replace the axle bushes, so I'm thinking I can leave the arms bolted to the chassis, and swing them down a bit and pop new ones in?
Jeff, it's not that easy. The easiest and best way is to remove one radius arm at a time then refit it and remove the opposite side. The radius arm bolts require a bit of 'persuasion' to let go. Once the radius arms are off it'll pay you to paint them also (wire brush them, spray them with etching primer then paint them). The radius arm large holes are slightly tapered to make life easier. To fit the bushes insitu I think you'll find it extremely difficult. Once you have fitted all of the bushes on the radius arms only nip up the bolts loosely and then jack equally onto axle stands before you torque up the bolts and hence bushes. This ensures the bushes aren't twisted when under load. Don't forget to put copper grease on the bolts and threads.

The following users liked this post:
Jeff Blake (04-16-2018)
Old 04-16-2018, 12:24 PM
Pro Wrench

Pulled the trigger on a set of terrafirma bushes. Only took a few days to arrive from terrafirmastore.co.uk

initial impressions are much higher quality than the britpart. These are much stiffer, single piece, and chassis end does not have an outer metal sleeve, so while they’ll still need a press to install, they should hopefully go in with minimal force.

JUKE179r (04-18-2018)
Old 04-16-2018, 11:24 PM
Mudding
Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Shipping

Pulled the trigger on a set of terrafirma bushes. Only took a few days to arrive from terrafirmastore.co.uk

initial impressions are much higher quality than the britpart. These are much stiffer, single piece, and chassis end does not have an outer metal sleeve, so while they’ll still need a press to install, they should hopefully go in with minimal force.
how much did it cost to ship, and how long did it take?

Old 04-16-2018, 11:35 PM
Pro Wrench

$45 bucks, 2 days

There's a live shipping calculator on their site

Old 04-16-2018, 11:57 PM
Mudding
Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

Thanks for the quick reply. I'll have to check it out tomorrow when I can get on my p c..

Old 04-17-2018, 12:39 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 971 Likes on 646 Posts

I look forward to seeing how these do Jeff!

Old 04-18-2018, 07:49 PM
Pro Wrench

Cool I'll keep ya'll posted. I pulled the radius arms today, pressed the old bushings out, and painted the arms. The terrafirma's have a terrible paint job. The britpart poly's were well and shot. The chassis to arm bush separated from the metal sleeve, causing the arm to go ****-eyed and make contact with the frame bracket. The axle end bushes split as well, but that's likely my fault for not using grease.

New bushes looks like they have to be pressed in, but it shouldn't take much force.

JUKE179r (04-18-2018)
Old 04-18-2018, 07:51 PM
Pro Wrench

Weird thing about the TF945 bush set, is they only include arm-to-chassis bushes for 2 arms (i.e. front or rear)... I contacted terrafirma about it.

Old 06-16-2018, 10:42 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts

[left]Pulled the trigger on a set of terrafirma bushes. Only took a few days to arrive from terrafirmastore.co.uk

Weird thing about the TF945 bush set, is they only include arm-to-chassis bushes for 2 arms (i.e. front or rear)... I contacted terrafirma about it.
How did these bushings work out? Any issues with the installation? Did you notice a difference in the ride quality? Did Terrafirma send you 2 more of the arm-to-chassis bushes?

I need to replace mine and am thinking of ordering this set.

Quick Reply: Radius Arm Bushings