Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Want D2 badly but broke college student! *HELP*

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2018, 07:45 AM
Mudding
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking Want D2 badly but broke college student! *HELP*

Hi all

As the title suggests, I want a D2 badly. I want the 03-04 D2 with 4.6L V8 that's white in color and has biege interior. The only issue is that I don't have much money for repairs..I've been looking heavily into wrecked D2s on copart and also was going to ask my dealer friend to get me access to a local dealer-only auction.

Some of the D2s that I've seen for sale locally are pretty overpriced, reaching up to 15k for a decent looking one.

Some of the positives of my situation is that I have access to a dirt cheap labor and I can invest up to 6k to start off (painfully saved on college lunches LOL); and I won't be driving that much, maybe 5k miles a year or less.

Anyone with 4.6L D2 from 03-04 that can share his/her experience? Is it really as bad and unreliable as people say it is? Will I be waking up to the car not starting, pulling over at the side of the highway, and calling AAA all the time LOL?

Old 08-12-2018, 07:52 AM
Mudding
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

And yes, I am planning to do a complete engine rebuilt as soon as I get a decent D2. I mean not really me but my friend mechanic will do it at his shop. Also planning to replace of the front driveshaft and drain all fluids....

Old 08-12-2018, 08:15 AM
Winching
Received 119 Likes on 93 Posts

IDK, generally "broke", "college", and "D2" don't go well together.

That said, if all I had was $6K, I would forget about particular colors and interiors and spend $500-$600 on a clean truck with engine issues and rebuild as necessary using your dirt cheap labor.

Will this be a second vehicle?

Old 08-12-2018, 08:45 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2,266 Likes on 1,674 Posts

6k budget is great, but DO NOT rush into it, look for a well maintained D1/D2 from a fellow LR enthusiast. DO NOT go for one with low miles, IMHO one with higher miles means it’s been maintained vs just sitting around broken. I understand you want a certain color combo (took me nearly 3 years to finally stumble across my Kalahari), but I’d really concentrate on it’s condition vs color.

You want a rust free D2, with a clean interior/exterior, one that doesn’t have any crappy aftermarket alarm or entertainment crap (people tend to mess up wiring on LR’s not knowing what their doing!!), and you want one that runs & drives. DO NOT fall for the “it just needs a water pump, a tune up, or a radiator...” that is a pack of lies covering up an engine with a problem!! If it was so easy & cheap trust me someone would have done it already! Paint wise sometimes you find good ones sometimes the paint is jacked, but on a LR paint is the least of your worries & you can get it painted cheap.

Take a scantool like an ultragauge or scangauge II, monitor temps, test all electronics, test 4hi/N/4lo operation, inspect the front drive shaft, listen for any knocking/ticks, and if it runs cool 193-210 (If equipped with 195F thermostat) or 188-205F (If equipped with 180F thermostat) you should be good to go.

Old 08-12-2018, 09:21 AM
Received 393 Likes on 306 Posts

So you have money for a rebuild and fluids right away ? Then you will be fine

Old 08-12-2018, 09:25 AM
Super Moderator

Also I’d personally go for a 99-02 vs 03-04. You can change the lights if you just gotta have em, but the 4.0L is IMHO better vs the 4.6L that LR didn’t care about in 03-04 as the D2 was done and the LR3 was about to debut. In 99-02 LR was trying to push the D2 vs just get rid of it.

Old 08-12-2018, 09:57 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 137 Likes on 120 Posts

D2 and college doesnt mix. It's a very bad idea. It's going to waste your time and your money.

get a little Toyota. When you start turning a decent income then buy a D2.

Old 08-12-2018, 10:03 AM
Super Moderator

You can do it on a budget, but you MUST find a good well taken care of D2 to start with that is absolutely critical.

If they were absolute money pits there is no way I could afford to own 4 D2’s and an LR3! It all depends on what you get. I see great D2’s for sale all the time that need TLC and maybe paint, but are mechanically solid & they take forever to sell vs the D2 that looks fantastic but is a total mechanical nightmare!!! Stick with mechanically solid vs cosmetic.

Old 08-12-2018, 10:50 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 137 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Best4x4
You can do it on a budget, but you MUST find a good well taken care of D2 to start with that is absolutely critical.

If they were absolute money pits there is no way I could afford to own 4 D2’s and an LR3! It all depends on what you get. I see great D2’s for sale all the time that need TLC and maybe paint, but are mechanically solid & they take forever to sell vs the D2 that looks fantastic but is a total mechanical nightmare!!! Stick with mechanically solid vs cosmetic.
so it's a roll of the dice for someone with little machanical experience.

Old 08-12-2018, 11:01 AM
Super Moderator

Any used vehicle would be a roll of the dice if you aren’t mechanically inclined no matter who makes it. Plenty of salvage, flood, stolen Honda’s & Toyota’s out there for sale, and if you aren’t mechanically inclined you’ll also end up with a POS.

My brother in law had a 2008 Honda Pilot & was taken time & time again by shops because he wasn’t mechanically inclined. When all it needed was a new set of plugs, and one new coil. Instead he blew 1200.00 on all kinds of BS at independent Honda shops & they never actually fixed it.

So let me put it this way then, if you think blinker fluid is real, and there is such a thing as a muffler bearing you’re screwed no matter what you’re driving......

My advice would be find a local Independent LR shop or a shop you trust & take whatever you are interested in & have them perform a pre-purchase inspection, and go from there now knowing what is wrong with it.

Last edited by Best4x4; 08-12-2018 at 11:07 AM.

Quick Reply: Want D2 badly but broke college student! *HELP*