Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Disco 2 owner, long time admirer

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2018, 08:07 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default New Disco 2 owner, long time admirer

TLDR version: Will the front roof rails with OE crossbars be sufficient to hold a standard RTT?

We have been roof top tent camping for a while with our Audi Avant. While it works fine, a lowered Audi isn't the ideal vehicle for our purposes as you can imagine.
We have always loved the Discovery styling and decided to start looking. Tomorrow morning we pick up our 2001 D2 SE7 and are very excited to start the project!
It comes with a set of Thule 953 with crossbars and a fairly large basket. The basket might actually be to big for what we want to do. I've already sourced OE crossbars and rear extensions. I would prefer to keep it low profile, but understand that I may not be able to mount the RTT right to the OE bars. I would prefer to mount the RTT forward and mount the basket in the rear for ease of access using the rear ladder. At this time I'm not going to invest in a full roof rack that I would love to have. I'll keep an eye out for a good deal on a used one. We are buying a ARB 2500 for the side and a ARB 1250 for the rear. Planning on a DIY solar pressurized water tank for the other side as well. We are modding the rear door into a fold down surface and building a raised floor in the rear with storage drawers for everything.
I've seen plenty of pictures, posts and videos for ideas on what we want to accomplish, but I have NOT seen much using the OE rails and bars. From what I understand the crossbars are rated for 165lbs each. Quick math says that's insufficient, but that doesn't mean it won't be just fine based on others previous experience. Hopefully someone has an answer since i don't want to damage the roof.

Anyway, thanks for any input and I look forward to being part of the forum.

Short BIO introduction. My name is Kevin, live in Lancaster, Pa. I'm a full time Euro Technician for ~16 years. I specialize in VAG, but also work on MINI, BMW, Porsche, MB during my day. I also get to play with really expensive nice cars all the time too!

Old 09-14-2018, 09:44 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,589 Likes on 1,305 Posts

Yes the OE front bars will support the RTT no issue, it has been done. I will qualify that with not knowing how much ya'll weigh.

It won't be ideal at all. I would look into spreading the load out more especially if there will be more than one up top. Maybe it will be better for you but the wind noise will make you extremely aware of that tent.

Last edited by ArmyRover; 09-14-2018 at 09:48 PM.
Old 09-14-2018, 10:03 PM
Mudding
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

If you're comfortable with the fact those rails are held on by 2 13mm nuts on each side through body metal than sure.

Old 09-14-2018, 10:30 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by tcr6v1
If you're comfortable with the fact those rails are held on by 2 13mm nuts on each side through body metal than sure.
Where are those nuts? I've never seen the attachment point.

Old 09-15-2018, 09:21 AM
Camel Trophy

OP (original poster), welcome. You are in the right place for advice when calamity occurs!

Old 09-15-2018, 09:47 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 280 Likes on 182 Posts

Aside from weight concerns, one thing you need to know is that the economy will go from bad to downright laughable. I put my tent on the voyager rack for one tank. 11 mpg. And it went from slow to I cant keep up with traffic. That’s not saying much with a Disco, but every little bit helps.

Another thing to consider is the noise. When I put the RTT on my Jeep on the front of that rack, it was downright deafening. When I moved it to the rear, I didnt even hear it. Yes that was a hard top too.

Old 09-15-2018, 10:04 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,275 Likes on 896 Posts

Ran out and removed head liner, so l could get these pictures for you Charlie.

Mounting locations, front mount, center mount (right behind b-plier) and rear location...since l have full length rails.

Front mount.

Rear mount.

Full length rails.

Don't have any firsthand experience, but I would think the wind noise would be horrible up front.

​​​​​​​ Brian.

Old 09-15-2018, 10:07 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,275 Likes on 896 Posts

Edit...second mount is just behind c-plier...not b-plier.

​​​​​​​ Brian.

Old 09-15-2018, 11:06 AM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by The Deputy
Ran out and removed head liner, so l could get these pictures for you Charlie.

Mounting locations, front mount, center mount (right behind b-plier) and rear location...since l have full length rails.

Front mount.

Rear mount.

Full length rails.

Don't have any firsthand experience, but I would think the wind noise would be horrible up front.

Brian.
Uh-mazing! Now put your headliner back in! Hahaha! Tell me where to PayPal the money for your service (or I'll pay triple in puppies)!

​​​​​​Why don't I have full length rails?! Are those adaptations of LR3 extended rails (LR3 LR4 OEM Land Rover Black Extended Length Roof Rails Discovery 3 4 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01EIE7FU6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_O.sNBb4KBJZS9) ?

Last edited by Charlie_V; 09-15-2018 at 11:20 AM.
Old 09-15-2018, 11:20 AM
Super Moderator
Received 1,589 Likes on 1,305 Posts

It was offered for the D2 as a option. I have a set somewhere.

LR3 was pretty bad for wind noise with the tent up front, better in the back

Quick Reply: New Disco 2 owner, long time admirer