Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spark plug questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2017, 09:29 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 112 Likes on 108 Posts

I went with the ngk iridium BKR6EIX-11. Will see how they work

Old 06-06-2017, 06:59 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by mln01
Exactly.

I've never argued that the trucks won't run well in the short term with copper plugs, but the copper plugs will fail in a small fraction of the mileage the double platinums will yield.
I've come to accept the fact that the Bosch 4.6 is not like your typical motor especially for anyone that does not have the mechanical ability. Changing oil, gear oil, greasing driveshafts, cleaning intake, changing coolant are a few tasks that have become the norm. Changing cheap plugs 1x a year fulfills the curiosity void seeing the condition and putting next task to rest.... for me. Not for everyone.

Look forward to posting 6 months to a year how my plugs are doing. Anything to help out this topic. Hope to hear about the Platinum NGK's as well 👍🏻🍻.

Old 06-06-2017, 09:16 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2,251 Likes on 1,669 Posts

Originally Posted by Zonk872
I've come to accept the fact that the Bosch 4.6 is not like your typical motor especially for anyone that does not have the mechanical ability. Changing oil, gear oil, greasing driveshafts, cleaning intake, changing coolant are a few tasks that have become the norm. Changing cheap plugs 1x a year fulfills the curiosity void seeing the condition and putting next task to rest.... for me. Not for everyone.

Look forward to posting 6 months to a year how my plugs are doing. Anything to help out this topic. Hope to hear about the Platinum NGK's as well 👍🏻🍻.
I've been using NGK & Autolite Platinum/Double Platinum/Iridium for years on LR's with excellent results.

Copper plugs are just making you do more work in the long run which doesn't justify the cheaper price if you have to do it more often.

6.99 a plug is nothing for a 100k plug. On a normal running LR you shouldn't have be pulling the plugs to inspect them. Our Bosch system is extremely picky when it comes to misfires and while running NGK or Autolite plugs the only time I've had issues were with the spark plug wires, or a coil pack.

Old 06-06-2017, 09:47 AM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by Best4x4
Great results with NGK & Autolite Double Platinum or Iridium Plugs here on all my LR's.
X1 ................. NGK are great plugs especially the iridium multi-electrode type.

Old 06-06-2017, 09:57 AM
Rock Crawling

I've been using NGK & Autolite Platinum/Double Platinum/Iridium for years on LR's with excellent results.

Copper plugs are just making you do more work in the long run which doesn't justify the cheaper price if you have to do it more often.

6.99 a plug is nothing for a 100k plug. On a normal running LR you shouldn't have be pulling the plugs to inspect them. Our Bosch system is extremely picky when it comes to misfires and while running NGK or Autolite plugs the only time I've had issues were with the spark plug wires, or a coil pack.
Great points! I will still give the current NGK's 6 months to a year. I had the O.E. Champions in for about 5k when I replaced the coil packs and wires etc. Felt a slight miss but no codes. Here are photos of the Champion plugs. Not blaming the plugs just wanted to try the NGK's after reading posts about owners using them. Who knows I may try the NGK Platinum plugs in a 6 months to a year. You can read all kinds of opinions on plugs. It doesn't bother me to try various methods.

Old 06-06-2017, 11:58 AM
Winching
Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

I have Bosch Platinum's in mine for the last 4 years. Got them at Amazon for like next to nothing after the rebate on them.

Old 06-07-2017, 03:38 AM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Great points! I will still give the current NGK's 6 months to a year. I had the O.E. Champions in for about 5k when I replaced the coil packs and wires etc. Felt a slight miss but no codes. Here are photos of the Champion plugs. Not blaming the plugs just wanted to try the NGK's after reading posts about owners using them. Who knows I may try the NGK Platinum plugs in a 6 months to a year. You can read all kinds of opinions on plugs. It doesn't bother me to try various methods.
5K miles is absolutely nothing in a low compression truck engine like a Rover V8. The reason Rover use Champion spark plugs (now made in China) is because they get them cheap and Champion had a contract with Landrover, they are OK plugs but not exceptional. Most spark plugs are good these days and some are better than others but in an old cronky V8 Rover engine anything that makes a spark should work OK.

Old 06-07-2017, 11:26 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 112 Likes on 108 Posts

The champions looked like crap after about 3k. With the new plugs in, it ran a bit smoother and the fuel trim looked a bit better. Hopefully BC it was firing better

Old 06-09-2017, 02:11 PM
Rock Crawling

I caved! Installed the Autolite Iridiums and checked the gaps .040. The NGK BPR6ES used a larger socket and I figured why not go with the better plug. Since I was already working in the injectors and checking the Kingsbourne connections to the coils go all out. Thanks for the recommendation I like the smaller socket around the SAI Y pipes and it feels strong.

Old 06-09-2017, 02:18 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,251 Likes on 1,669 Posts

I caved! Installed the Autolite Iridiums and checked the gaps .040. The NGK BPR6ES used a larger socket and I figured why not go with the better plug. Since I was already working in the injectors and checking the Kingsbourne connections to the coils go all out. Thanks for the recommendation I like the smaller socket around the SAI Y pipes and it feels strong.
yeah spark plug changes in SAI D2's are much more of a PITA.

Quick Reply: Spark plug questions