Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Head gasket job Questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2018, 08:52 PM
TReK
Received 313 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by No Doubt
That motor is going to look fantastic! I didn't even *think* about painting mine, but you are making me want to reconsider!
Thank you. I wanted to do it, to keep it cleaner in there. The aluminum sucks dirt like a hose.

It adds a level of conplexity, and of course is getting chips, but I’m not going to SEMA.

I will prolly try spraying some of the extra paint into a cup and touch up a bit, see if it sticks.

The truck is tan interior, epsom green, so I thought these colors made sense. What sucks though is that the ugly alternator and A/C Compressor will cover their good work.

The shop did the rocker covers, intakes and heads. I did Pipes, and throttle body which you’ll see next pic.

Last edited by CollieRover; 05-15-2018 at 08:55 PM.
Old 05-16-2018, 08:14 PM
TReK

Got the broken bolt out this morning. Came easily. I was able to use a Mieaukee Drill bit and my small impact wrench. I didn’t want to have to buy a 90 degree drill. Then used a Ryobi bolt extractor.

Got it my new upper intake bolts from Land Rover, and should have my timeserts tomorrow.

used my time to clean and apply plastic trim restorer on the plastic parts. Fan shroud, fusebox cover, etc.

cleaned the passenger side of the engine bay with a brush then Tub o’ towels. Love the tub o towels.

Old 05-18-2018, 09:58 AM
TReK

I got the Timeserts into the Lower intake. They look good. I just don't like what I am seeing from th Heli-Coils previously used. These don't have a tang you have to bang out, and I trust them a bit more.

Dipstick is in, Ultra Grey will be cured at 9am tomorrow morning, and I am hoping my new Alternator Bracket bolts get here in time to be ready for fluids tomorrow morning.

Old 05-18-2018, 10:14 AM
TReK
Received 480 Likes on 403 Posts

I hope the ultra grey doesn't leak.
It's designed for high vibration applications.
It's not as oil resistant as ultra black.

Old 05-18-2018, 12:05 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by Sixpack577
I hope the ultra grey doesn't leak.
It's designed for high vibration applications.
It's not as oil resistant as ultra black.
If it does it is in a very accessible place at least. I don't know, I would not think that much oil would get to that location anyway.

Old 05-18-2018, 08:59 PM
TReK

I got the intake in, and I have to give another big endorsement to Fel-pro. After the good experience with the rocker cover gaskets I got a fel-pro upper intake gasket.

It was a completely different gasket to the Britpart, it was not metal it was a normal gasket, and it actually fit. I didn’t need to smack it with a socket and hammer. Count me as a fan of that.

i’m wishing I had done a fel-lower intake gasket.

Old 05-18-2018, 09:06 PM
TReK

Here are some pics before the Alternator and A/C Compressor go in. The inside of the coolant pipe got banged up on Intake install due to me going out of order a bit due to the intake bolt breakage. Probably should not have, but at least the damage is out of sight. I will have to figure a remedy.

Old 05-19-2018, 07:45 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,167 Likes on 842 Posts

Hate to be a kill joy, but there is a reason they don't paint aluminum engines (heads and block). Aluminum has a thermal conductivity three times greater than case iron. It's all about heat transfer. There is what is called a "boundary layer", which mates with the cooling fluid and ambient air under the hood. These two areas decide how the engine will be cooled. When you obstruct the outer boundary, by painting, you are in essences partially limiting the aluminums ability to transfer heat externally. Which in turn, causes the fluid side to do more work in that area.

Learned a lot about this in a three week course put on by Allison Transmission/Detroit Diesel. They talked extensively about "why" aluminum should never be painted. Allison transmission will reach temps close to 300F, so displacing heat is paramount.

Like I said...hate to be a Debby-downer...but this is just something I learned and thought l'd pass it along. Hate to see this practice become common place and folks start seeing even worse cooling issues.

Hope this isn't the case on your engine, but time will tell.

Brian.

The following users liked this post:
JUKE179r (05-19-2018)
Old 05-19-2018, 03:28 PM
TReK

Started her up today. Ran really well, was running high temps, but have to really had a chance to get all the air out. Everything looks good, but the damn Throttle Body Heater is leaking. So I ordered a kit and will get that done this week.

Here is the final product.

Old 05-19-2018, 03:35 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 257 Likes on 214 Posts

Nice and clean.

Well done!

Quick Reply: Head gasket job Questions