Tires What skins are you rollin' around on? Discuss wrapping your rims in here.

18" Tire Recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2006, 11:02 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default 18" Tire Recommendation

Hello- Sort of new to this forum, own a 03' HSE Disco. In need of tires- limited in choice for 18"... I want an all terrain tire incase we venture off road. I've heard about Nitto Terra Grapplers and General Grabber AT2, Toyo Open Country... I like Nitto Terra Grappler design best but am concerned about durability. The General's are BF Goodrich copycats but have gotten good reviews, not sure on the Toyo's.

Any recommendations?

Old 12-26-2006, 11:44 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 18" Tire Recommendation

The Toyo's are very tough for an all-terrain tire, and have quite good traction in pretty much anything (not sure about snow though as there isn't any snow where i live). I may also suggest looking at Interco Trxus Mud Terrain tires.

Old 01-11-2007, 02:05 AM
Drifting

i am running the toyoA/T and love them for all traction. they are quite and run well nitto is toyo lesser brand

Old 02-15-2007, 01:37 PM
Rock Crawling

I've seen great reviews on the Yokohama Goelander - and it has a 60,000 mile warranty.

I'll be tire time in about a month and that's what I'm lookin at purchasing.

Old 02-15-2007, 03:43 PM
Winching
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Have heard from another tread that Nitto Terras is what most folks are doing with their Rovers. However, after a little research myself, I have come accross a few horror stories about the soft compound of the tire causing it to go bold in 10k miles and less in some extreme cases. I am in the market for some 18's for my LR3 s well and will continue checking this tread for advice on what's working for you guys out there!
Something with good all around traction (on and off road) would be awesome if it retains good durability and ride/niose quality! Sugestions?

Old 02-25-2007, 07:23 PM
Winching

Update:

After some further investigation, the Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor seems to be a good contender for the "fit all" tire.
The problem with replacement tires is this. Most of us buy new Landies because we like what LR has done with the vehicles as far as being on- road friendly yet capable off road if and when we decide to go play. However, our play time is so small in comparison with the on-road time that going agresive on the treads means better off- road traction that once a month we actually get to play but tread noise and lousy gas milagethe other 95% of the time we are not playing. That is simply not acceptable for the daily comuter, once every other month off roader. But going off roading on highway tires the one time a month we do want to play is also unacceptable. So what do we do short of having two sets?
We simply need the imposible tire that can give us great traction in every situation, dry / wet / ice-snow / off-road / quiet / confort,and yet do so being very quiet and confortable on the road.

I believe I have found such tire. In fact, if the ratings from Goodyear are to be believed, the Wrangler Silent Armorscores better in EVERY category (ie, no compromises) than the factory Wrangler HP's the LR3 comes with. The 265/60/18 gives you a much better sidewall than the factory 19's and even a bit better than take-off 18's as well and still keep close to factory diameter and width. Gas milage is for the most part unafected and they rate as even more silent than the HP's. With Kavlar construction as added protection agaist gashes and punctures and with the silent armor technology I am simply sold. Go to www.Discounttiredirect.com for some surprisingly affordable prices on these puppys and let me know what you think of them. I plan to buy my first set very soon!

Old 05-31-2007, 03:04 AM
Overlanding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have the nittos a 255/55R18 peace of **** i get stuck in wet grass with the diff locked dont get them really

Old 06-11-2007, 12:50 PM
Three Wheeling

I just purchased my '03 Dico II SE7 about 2 months ago, has Goodyear Eagle LS on it, great on road and rain traction. I wouldn't trust 'em off the road.

I had the Toyo Open Country AT's on my Jeep Cherokee and LOVED them (plan on using them as a replacement down the road). I lovein New England and the Open COuntry's were by far the most versatile tire I used on the Jeep (tire history = Goodyear Wrangler RTS, Firestone Rifehawk Mud Terrains, Toyo Open Countryy ATs, BFG Radial All Terrains)

I got over 70K out of the Toyo's and they nevber failed me on the dry pavement or in rain, snow or light duty trail rides.

Old 07-10-2007, 09:33 AM
2nd Gear

Has anyone used this these tires? And are they any good? Kumho Ecsta STXand Sumitomo HTR Sport H/P. The tirerack has them for a really good affordable prices.

Old 07-17-2007, 12:29 PM
Winching

They are both "all season" tires. You can not expect serious off road performance off ofany "all season" tire. You need to look in the "all terrain" category. And the only one I have found that doesn't loose it's well behaved manners "on road" are the Good Year Silent Armors. 265/60/18.

All season tires would only work for folks who have no intentions on doing any more serious off roading with their rover than parking it on their front yard grass instead of the drive way, and even then, make sure it hasn't been raining for a while or you're stuck!

Quick Reply: 18" Tire Recommendation