Tires What skins are you rollin' around on? Discuss wrapping your rims in here.

20' shoes question/issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 04:40 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 20' shoes question/issue

I have a LR3 2005 SE V6 (stock 255/60/18) tires and wheels. I just bought 20' wheels from a 05' HSE and want to put them on my LR3. I got tires with them and was told the 255/50/20 would fit my LR3. It's not a good fit.Well folks, the two front tires rub against the stut. SO........ I need to know what tire size i need to get to make this work. I haven't seen anyone here talking about doing this modification. I called land rover and as you already probably guessed they will not advise because they don't know. They don't do this fitment and won't tell me squat!!! I don't want to go any bigger because i still would like to go offroad. Please, any advise would greatly be appreciated!

ONE LOVE
LR3 Rida

Old 04-17-2007, 12:29 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts
Default RE: 20' shoes question/issue

The dealer is being smart, not making suggestions on something they can't answer.
As for off road, I would never recommend putting a set of 20's on an LR3 and then expect to take it off road, you will cut the side walls all up. From the different clubs I am in, the best size seems to be the 285/60/18 in a tire like the Nitto Grappler.
Mike

Old 04-17-2007, 03:31 PM
Winching
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Rida, 20" tires were never meant to go off road. I have to asume that you are going with the 20's to get a low profile look. The problem with that is that no one makes low profile "all terrain" tires in the 20" and above range. You might be able to go on a hard packed, even trail once in a while if it's fairly well cleaned out of rocks and debris but most "real" off road conditions that require good off- road traction from your ruber will leave you stuck and super embarrassed. As stated above, low profiles will only get sliced to pieces since the sidewalls are not designed to take that abuse at all.
SO, the dilema is the same for all of us. To go low pro for the looks and forget ever doing any serious off-roading, or finding a happy medium that allows for both. Let me know what you have in mind and I may be able to make a few sugestions.

Old 04-18-2007, 10:07 AM
2nd Gear

Thank you for the relpies folks. Yeah i doubt i will be able to do any serious offroad driving. That is ok though. I am not looking for an all terrain tire so to speak .MY main question is a simple one. I merely want to know if anyone knows what size tires i need to be able to make the 20 inch rims fit without any rubbing. As stated before i have 255/50/20R and there is rubbing in the front.

LR3 Rida

Old 04-18-2007, 05:28 PM
Winching

Rida, I did some calculations using 265/60/18 as the stock size since they fit very confortably on the LR3 and I came up with this. 255/50/20 is actualy a "smaller" tire than the 265/60/18. Actually the LR3 can fit fairly confortably the 285/60/18's as well which would be quite a bit bigger than your 20's with zero rubbin, even in access mode. So, if your tires are rubbin' is not because they are too big but because the "offset" of your new wheels doesn't work well with the truck. It's a wheel problem, not a tire problem. I'm sure you didn't want to hear that but there is your problem.
The April edition of the Land Rover Lifestyle magazine has a nice article devoted to exactly that problem; Best Wheel/Tire combinations for Land Rovers. Hope that helps out!

Old 05-14-2007, 03:38 AM
Drifting

While we're at it....

I have a 02 SE7 Disco II. I have the 18s on it, stock. Could I put stock LR3 wheels or new Range wheels and it fit right? The hurricane wheel is tired on my eyes...

Old 05-15-2007, 04:45 PM
Winching

Off the top of my head I don't remember and I'm away in a hotel room on a business trip so I don't have my cheat sheets with me. All you have to do is google the LR wheels and look for the "bolt pattern" AND the "wheel Off-set". If they match, you should have a perfect fit ( and I believe they do), but don't take my word for it since I'm going by memory. Check it out for yorself to be on the safe side!

Old 05-15-2007, 06:06 PM
Drifting

I know the bolt pattern is the same. I guess I'll have to snoop a parked range to look at the offset on their tire. I couldn't find either offset on google.

Old 05-16-2007, 01:06 AM
Rock Crawling

itll work if you get hubcentric rings and a new set of lug nuts.