Tires What skins are you rollin' around on? Discuss wrapping your rims in here.

Correct Tire Pressure

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 07:47 PM
TReK
Received 199 Likes on 176 Posts
Default Correct Tire Pressure

hi Guys,
If you change to a larger tire, is the tire pressure same as the factory required pressure. Thanks

Old 02-19-2010, 01:49 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Kind of depends on the tire size and rating.
Do you have 16 or 18" tires? Factory tire are mainly "D" rated 8 ply tires.
If you run at the tire pressure from Rover, you will get a soft ride with less tire wear. Running a little higher usually gives better tire and fuel mileage.
What size are you getting?

Old 02-19-2010, 02:17 PM
TReK

Hi Mike,
Hope its not a problem, but I got "E" rating 10 ply. The size is 275/65R18 which is not part of the door sticker specs from land rover. The original is 255/55R18. Should I follow the door sticker pressure instead? Thank you - Gerry

Old 02-21-2010, 08:21 AM
Administrator

I would start up at 40 front and rear, watch you MPG. look at tread wear over the first few months and look at the comfort factors also.
Let a 10 ply tire run too low and they will over heat so stay around 40.

Old 03-10-2010, 06:07 PM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey, DiscoMike, maybe you can help me out with a tire pressure question, too?

I have 18" tires (255/55R18) on a 2000 Disco II. Not sure what the rating on them are, but the brand is Nitto Terra Grappler.

I just had a puncture plugged at a tire shop and noticed something odd: The LR door sticker says 28 psi on front and 46 psi on the rear. The tire manufacturer's recommended pressure (printed on my receipt) says 26psi on front and 36psi on the rear.

Who's correct? Is anyone correct? I've been running the factory (door) pressures for a few years. Should I be running the same pressure in all 4 tires? Thanks for any insight into this dilemma!

dan

Old 03-11-2010, 08:38 AM
Administrator

If you are doing a lot of wheeling, the air pressure should be the same. If you are mainly a street driver then I would raise the fronts to at lest 30 to 35 for better tread wear and gas mileage. As for the rear, I think 46 is a bit high, but it sure won't hurt anything.
Main thing you want to do is watch for tire wear and adjust the air pressure accordingly as well as stay up with your rotations.

Old 03-11-2010, 10:12 PM
7th Gear

Thanks for the info, Mike! I am mostly a street driver, especially in the winter. Most of my summer road trips are taken on a motorcycle, so the Disco gets a little neglected...
I've had the BB for 4 years and have only put about 17K on it...I live close (real close) to work and rarely drive in the summer/fall. I will keep an eye on the tire wear. Thanks again!

Old 03-14-2010, 09:25 PM
Mudding

If you are not using the OEM tire that came on your land rover from the factory, what the door says means nothing..... unless you have a CTIS or psi sensors in the wheels... Check on your tire, it will have a PSI rating on the side. Depending on driving habits, vehicle weight, what the vehicle will be used for, and what surface you plan on doing most of your driving on depends on what % of the max you should run. Do you tow much with your rover or driving with it loaded heavy very much? If so the PSI on the side of the tire is where you should start, then watch your tread carefully, if it is wearing more on the middle of the tire let about 10% of the tires air out because they are over inflated for driving conditions. If there is more wear on the outside edges of the tread it is because your tires are under inflated, if this is happening with you running the tire at its maximum pressure you need to move up in the load ratings of the tires. Just check the wear patterns and it will let you know if you are running the right psi in your tires. LR03NJ, E rated tires are probably a bit much on a rover, you are not going to be hurting anything by running them but your MPG is going to suffer, because they weigh more, as well as your ride quality, because they are stiffer. To make the ride softer you can try running less air in the tires but like Mike said the more plys you have the more the side wall with be effected by running to little air in the tire. So I wouldn't drop much more than say 20% below what it says on the side of the tire and then keep an eye out for sidewall fatigue and uneven tread wear..
Feel free to pm me if you still need help.
Hope this helps

Last edited by greenwade; 03-14-2010 at 09:32 PM.
Old 03-15-2010, 08:59 AM
Administrator

Part of deciding what air pressure to run is common sense. Dropping only 20% from an "E" rated tire can leave you in the 60 pound area which will beat you to death.
"D" and "E" rated tires work well on our truck and weight when at or near 40 pounds all the way around.

Old 03-15-2010, 11:04 AM
TReK

Thanks Guys,
I am using around 36 psi. Much better ride. My 7 year old complained she kept bouncing around the rear seats before. Strapped her in the middle with both seat belts. Now shes back to one belt. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Correct Tire Pressure