Tires What skins are you rollin' around on? Discuss wrapping your rims in here.

Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armour

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 09:09 PM
Winching
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armour

I have found after some playing around that 36 up front and 40 in the back seems to be the happy place for the tires. The fact that they are wearing perfectly even after 25k miles re-enforces my choice. I've also noticedat that pressure, the tires perform awesome off road as well without deflating. I would still recommend deflating before trying deep sugar sand, however.

Old 12-05-2008, 05:20 PM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quick Question, does having the tire pressure set at 36 front and 40 back cause the tire pressure sensor to light up?

Old 12-05-2008, 08:49 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK - I've been through some of this before, will expand - My work truck has Goodyear MT/R's on it because I need an aggressive tire half of the time the other half I'm on the road. Its a fantastic tire, I am not sure about the sizes though. We do have a few trucks with Silent Armour on them and they are well liked as well, they are quieter than mtr's and less aggressive. If you look at the tires Goodyear achieves the quieter ride by closing down the tread on the outer areas (above the sidewalls). The closer the tread is in that area the quieter it is, this is an old stealership (stole that from here) trick for trucks, thats why they come with "street treads" so when soccer mom is test driving it its quiet - the treads on these "stock tires are an almost solid band on both sides. One should be aware that on some tires the outside (whitewall lettering side) of the tire is solid with the inside open, if you turn them around for the black out "look" you will lose the quiet ride - they usually tell you they are directional (whitewalls out). The MOST IMPORTANT thing about the Silent Armour and the MTR's is, if you want them to last you should have them rotated and balanced every 3,000 miles - never, NEVER more than 5,000. Once they start cupping (what was the other one - scalloping) it is all but impossible to bring them back. This may be a little much but, along with everything else - while I'm fueling my vehicles I walk around them and look at the tires (old military habit) as soon as I see mine cupping, I have them rebalanced and rotated. I get 30K out of the MTR's and our peeps with Silent Armour 30 to 50 if you watch them. No matter which tire you choose if it has heavy lugs like these, if you only rotate them (without re-balancing) they will continue to wear. O - we average 30 to 75K on our vehicles a year.

Damn did I say all that - sorry if I bored you