Tires What skins are you rollin' around on? Discuss wrapping your rims in here.

How do you rate YOUR tires?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 12:59 PM
Winching
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default How do you rate YOUR tires?

I'm taking a quick Poll of real user opinion on the most used "All Terrain" tires Rover owners use today. I will try to tabulate and average the results at the end in a month or so to provide a more solid ground to offer advice on tire purchases.

Please follow my example at the bottom. I am mostly interested in tires that perform superb both on road and off road so please no "All Season" tires as they tend to suck on any serious off road. I want the true "king of the hill" all around best tire.

Most owners in these forum that have gone all terrain have purchased either Nitto Terra Grapplers, Goodyear Silent Armors or Cooper Zeon LTZ so I am very interested in how they compare in actual owner opinion after using them for a while on a scale of 1 - 10 with 10 being absolutely awesome. However, if you found a different tire out there that you feel is a great contender for awesome anywhere tire, let us know as well.

Try to be maturely honest in your opinion, please rather than try to blindly push for any particular brand. We would like to know the truth and benefit from it.

BEST TIRE POLL:

Vehicle: LR3 HSE 06

Tire: Goodyear Silent Armor 265/60/18

Time used: 9 months

Off road traction:10

On road traction: 10

Quietness:10

Vibration: 9

Ice/Snow: Not tried yet

Wet traction:10

Comfort:10

Corner stability: 9

UPDATE:

Spent this weekend over at Yosemite National Park. I wanted to see it and also was hoping to come across some snow to play in. Little did I know there was actually lots of the stuff there waiting on me. So, I got a good chance to play with snow, ice and plenty of slush. I'll give the tires a 10 for snow/ice traction. I was fairly impressed with my LR3 on the slippery stuff.

Old 01-18-2008, 07:35 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts
Default RE: How do you rate YOUR tires?

As usual, good idea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-21-2008, 09:59 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Many have probably seen my post on the Cooper Zeon LTZ's, which I have been running sinceAugust '07. I have about 9,000 miles on them so far, and I am very impressed with the tire performance on the LR3. They have performed will on Great Divide Challenge II, Nightmare Gulch, etc.

BEST TIRE POLL:

Vehicle: LR3 HSE 05

Tire:Cooper Zeon LTZ 285/60/18

Time used:6 months

Quietness:9

Vibration: 9 Keep Balanced

Ice/Snow: Not tried yet

Old 02-29-2008, 11:03 AM
Winching

Well, thanks to those who took the time to write in. Guess I should have put "LR3 give away" as the title and said that by answering the simple survey you would be entering on the drawing and maybe then I might have gotten a little bit more participation. I was simply trying to gather some real user information to be able to give better advice about such a hot subject as new tires for LR3 is. Kinda disapointed. This has turned out to be a fairly disinterested bunch.

TOPIC CLOSED DUE TO LACK OF PARTICIPATION!

Old 02-29-2008, 03:02 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The problem with rating the tires on a newer vehicle like that, you havn't really played around with other tires. Sure you rate the Silent Armors a 10 now, but how much have you actually pushed the tires? I had some Kumho Touring tires and thought their grip was amazing, then I went up to a Michelin, and the on road grip was MUCH better. Offroad did go down a bit, but these were touring tires.

Then I upgraded to an A/T. From the touring, on and off road traction were MUCH MORE improved.

General Grabber AT2 have been my best set, but I still wouldn't put them at a 10. maybe an 8.

Old 03-02-2008, 07:52 PM
Winching

Wolf, I think you ask a very important question, and one that deserves a truthfull answer if we are to keep user ratings in perspective. I have been using my SAs for a little over a yearnow. About 19k miles so far. Since I live sorta close to Hollister SVRA I tend to go there frequently to have fun with the LR3. I have used and abused those tires out there. Many trips to Hector's hights, Truck hill, the Captain Morgan ditch right before truck hill, five finger hill, even the loose rock small trails leading down from Hector hights usually traveled only by the heavily modified rigs. Through all of that I can only compare the traction with the otherrovers that have been out there with me in the past. And time after time, my LR3 just seems to walk right through stuff that has most of the other rigs slipping and having to get creative to navegate. Last time out, I had another LR3 with me and I noticed quite obviously that as we tried to go up the "ladder" my LR3 crawled totallyslip free right up the obstacle, even with the mud that was around, while the other LR3 with different tires slipped and had to back down and try going with more speed to clear the same path. There were Discos that didn't even make it because of all the mud and those that did had to have considerable speed behind them. After we all went through I noticed people checking out what tires I had on. They could not deny the ease with which I made that obstacle.

Through all of this abuse and 19k miles later, they still run with no noise and no vibration. There have been no flats, no slices, no cuts, no chunks missing. I can only say that I plan to have nothing else on my vehicles in the future but Silent Armors. I don't get any kick backs from sales, I'm simply THAT impressed with their performance.

Old 03-03-2008, 12:56 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very nice! I'll check out the Silent Armors then when I look at my next set of tires

Old 03-18-2008, 06:40 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

ORIGINAL: Jantiz

BEST TIRE POLL:

Vehicle: LR3 HSE 06

Tire: Goodyear Silent Armor 265/60/18

Time used: 9 months

Quietness:10

Vibration: 9

Ice/Snow: 10 (based on update)

This is a joke thread, right?

Old 03-18-2008, 03:54 PM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

can you get the coopers in a 265 i have looked and i am not finding them.

Old 03-19-2008, 12:52 PM
Winching

drz: I'll let Jimbiram answer that since he has a set. I 'm not sure about the 265 in cooper myself.

antichrist: What part of my ratings could possiblycause you to believethat the poll is a joke?

Quick Reply: How do you rate YOUR tires?