Tires What skins are you rollin' around on? Discuss wrapping your rims in here.

LR3 18"Tire/Wheel combo~~ Advice?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2007, 03:58 PM
Winching
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default LR3 18"Tire/Wheel combo~~ Advice?

I posted about this before but done it on the wrong area. Didn't know there was anarea just for tires . At any rate, I'm a military guy. Two Iraq tours (hoping there wont be a third anytime soon!).It would seem that I find myself going on my privately owned vehicle to a lot of places where the military hummers go. Wether to recon the site prior to convoy or, to tell the truth, just for fun, because I can . There are some seriously nasty trails on military bases used for off-road training among other things and I found myself doing some diggin and some pushin to get my LR3unstuck on a particularlynasty trail in a base here in California recently. It looked to be dry and solid until we started up hill and realized that under the thin dry cap there was some thick, slippery clay. Once my factory 255/55 19's shallow treads filled up with the clay wemightas well had beenon ice. The LR3 slid sideways into a very soft drain ditch on the trail side and the rest is history [&o].
Upon some thought afterward, I reallize I need different tires if I expect to continue chasing the military hummers in my unit. I may be willing to size down to 18" since nothing is available for 19" wheels. I received some advice on the other tread I started (Thanks Disco Mike- You're tha man) but Im looking for the ultimate tire/wheel combo for an LR3 on 18" . I obviously do much more on- road than off- road so I would like to keep it quiet, reasonable on road performance, durable but with an off-road "kick" that I'm not getting right now with Factory tires... Any help out there from the experts and the experienced?

Old 02-06-2007, 04:18 PM
Winching
Default RE: LR3 18"Tire/Wheel combo~~ Advice?

By the way, how does everyone feel about going 16" on the LR3? Has anyone out there done it?Not sure about the looks but the better tread selection and the smoother ride interests me. Would changing wheel/tires cancel my warranty? What size 16" tire would give me the same circunference as the factory 19" ? Bottom line is I need a little better traction, smoother ride would be awesome but looks are still important in a 57k SUV!

So 16" or 18" and why? Thanks in advance.

Old 02-07-2007, 11:15 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

I have seen a number of people going to 18's using, the Nitto Terra Grapplers. 285/60/18.
You might want to check them out, they are strong, have good side walls and great traction.
As for the 16's, that is where the great tire selection is, but I am not sure if you can find a 16" wheel that will work on your hub and clear the calipers.
Let me know what you do.
Mike

Old 02-07-2007, 03:28 PM
Winching

I am thinking of putting the Nitto Terras on a set of Redbourne Dukes, hyper black since my LR3 is black. Does this wheel / tire combo seem reasonable? Anyone out there tried the Redbournes have a comment on them? Anyone using the same combo by chance want to comment? Thanks again, Disco Mike!

ps.
How much should I be able to ask for my factory 19's wheels and tires when I sell them? Reasonably?

Old 02-08-2007, 11:38 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

If you go aftermarket wheels, make sure that they will clear the larger LR3 calipers, many won't.
As to what to ask for your old wheels, what ever the market will bear. Start looking ar other Rover classified sections and see what others are asking, wish I could be of more help.
Mike

Old 02-08-2007, 04:01 PM
Winching

The Redbourne wheels are advertised as being designed specifically to fit Land Rovers. Made as direct replacements for factory wheels, even made so that the greencenter cap with the Land Rover emblem fits on them if the owner wishes to swap them out, also designed to accept the factorytire pressure sensors. So in paper, looks good. Just curious if anyone is actually using them on their Landie. Let me know how they perform.