Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. let's hear about it here.

In car DVD

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2004, 12:20 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default In car DVD

If anyone is considering upgrading the audio system in their Discovery I would definately recommend the Pioneer DVD system I've installed in mine (see pics)

http://www.thermalrunaway.co.uk/Imag...VD_800x600.jpg
http://www.thermalrunaway.co.uk/Imag...ay_800x600.jpg

The unit sits in just the right place in the Discovery Dashboard and the screen folds away when you're not using it so it doesn't immediately stand out to any potential opportunist thieves. The Pioneer sports a host of useful features including touch screen control, the ability to connect external audio/visual sources and external amplifiers and you can even connect a Pioneer 5.1 unit to it if you wanted to have cinema surround sound as well!
You can connect a GPS Navigation system to it which will allow the maps to be displayed through the main unit.

The system plays normal CD discs, DVDs (of course) including copied DVDs and it also plays VCDs. Unfortunately it doesn't play MP3 CDs which was a bit of a let down for me because I hoped to keep a couple of discs in the LandRover which could store most of my albums on it. There is a way around that though because you can record DVD-Audio discs which is basically a standard DVD with just audio and no video. You can store a few albums on a disc that way, and they're at full CD quality. The system also receives terrestrial TV transmissions so if you're really sad you can watch Eastenders on it.

The system is a bit of a nightmare to install because the head unit only contains the meachanics for reading the DVD and the actualt 6.5Inch screen - the decoding and AV control is all done via a seperate unit which I've stored under the drivers seat where the CD Changer would normally go. The wiring loom for the whole thing is immense - there are more wires and connections for the DVD system than the main wiring loom on most cars so you can imagine that installation is tricky. I routed the wires for mine underneath the centre console and brought them out under the drivers seat where they connect to the external box.

I'm happy with my Pioneer DVD system and am planning to connect GPS to it in the future so I can use the screen to display my maps and current position.

Brian