Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

1995 Discovery - Anti-Theft Alarm ECU Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2015, 07:28 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1995 Discovery - Anti-Theft Alarm ECU Question

Hello, Everyone! I hope all are doing well. Here's an alarm question. I believe that I need to replace the alarm ECU, as the system is not working properly (no horns, no hazard lights flashing, central-locking of doors not always working, remote unit works only from about 2 feet away from car). Is it simply a matter of switching out the old ECU with the new one, or does it require some other modifications? Does the remote unit need to be reprogrammed? I'm concerned of having a problem with the immobilizer. As always, any insight/comments/recommendations would be greatly appreciated! Thanks again!

Old 08-31-2015, 09:08 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

Generally speaking it's best to grab the ECU and the alarm ECU off the same vehicle as a pair, then you have no worries. As far as the fob I believe it has to be set to the new and because I don't use one (or have one) I don't know if it's just a sync process or a trip to the dealer to reset the fob to the new alarm. I believe there's a blurb about it in the Service Manual. I know your having problems with the horn, read your last posts about the slip coupler. Central locking is another animal and usually it's the solenoids or one that causes issues with the rest. They get weak over the years........ When you lock the truck watch the cargo door lock, see if it goes all the way down. That's the one that starts to fail first.

Old 09-01-2015, 07:55 AM
Drifting

Hi, ihscouts, thanks again for the reply! Unfortunately, I had to order the Alarm ECU from Canada, and I'm not sure they offered any other ECUs. The other ECU you are talking about (other than the alarm ECU), do you mean the Engine ECU, or something else? Do you mean the Central Locking ECU? Sorry, I'm too new to this all to know better. Yes, I saw several things about reprogramming/resetting the remote control fob in the Service Manual; I'm hoping that it won't be necessary (wouldn't that be nice for a change?) but I'm prepared for it!

Yes, this horn thing is really putting it to me! After all that to change out the Rotary Coupler and then have it not work - what a disappointment! The Central Locking is a little sluggish at times, but they all seem to work although I will watch the rear cargo door lock for its travel up and down and note if it's having issues.

The Alarm ECU should be here sometime this week, so I will install it and report back with the results - hopefully with good news! As always, hanks for the insight! Be Well. - Joe.

Old 09-01-2015, 09:21 AM
TReK
Received 161 Likes on 136 Posts

You're fortunate in that you have a 14CUX engine management system. It's much more shadetree mechanic friendly. You don't need to have a matched fob to work with your remote and programming is easy with no need for a trip to the dealership. The '96-'99 DI's were a different story. Their engine management system was GEMS, introduced in the US for OBDII compliance first with the P38 Range Rover and then in the DI in '96 and ultimately, '97 D90 thanks to compliance schedules.

Go here:

http://www.landroverresource.com/

Download the big file for the RAVE service manuals and you'll find the repair and electronic troubleshooting manuals for your '95 DI. There will be step by step instructions for programming your remote to the new ECU (and vice versa).

The following users liked this post:
XCELLER8 (04-30-2018)
Old 09-03-2015, 07:45 AM
Drifting

Hi, Paul - Thank you very much for the reply and the helpful - and encouraging - information and resources! I will certainly find this information useful! The new ECU arrived yesterday, and I hope to install it today, weather permitting. I will certainly report back on my progress! Again, thank you (and all the members) for your help! - Joe.

Old 04-30-2018, 08:01 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Paul Grant
You're fortunate in that you have a 14CUX engine management system. It's much more shadetree mechanic friendly. You don't need to have a matched fob to work with your remote and programming is easy with no need for a trip to the dealership. The '96-'99 DI's were a different story. Their engine management system was GEMS, introduced in the US for OBDII compliance first with the P38 Range Rover and then in the DI in '96 and ultimately, '97 D90 thanks to compliance schedules.

Go here:

http://www.landroverresource.com/

Download the big file for the RAVE service manuals and you'll find the repair and electronic troubleshooting manuals for your '95 DI. There will be step by step instructions for programming your remote to the new ECU (and vice versa).
Hi Paul,
does this mean that I can buy another FOB of a different frequency and it will work with my alarm ECU if I have a 14CUX? There is a company in the UK that sells remotes for my 95 but they do not show the frequency I have on my remote which is 315MHz. They have 433 and few other frequencies.
Any help or advice is appreciated.
Thanks,
Ed Mah

Old 04-30-2018, 09:33 PM
TReK
Received 652 Likes on 559 Posts

It still means you will need a single button remote ( AMR3722 ) WITH the same 315Mhz frequency, but you will be able to program it yourself.
No trip to the dealer for a '95 DI.

> Single Button Remote Programming Instructions For Land Rover Discovery & Range Rover Classic

Last edited by OverRover; 04-30-2018 at 09:35 PM.