Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

95 Disco I 3.9 to 300D Turbo Diesel Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2014, 10:53 AM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Progress has been hindered because I had to turn a crank, get bearings and I am putting my motor together today and should be ready to fire up in a few days when I can get some fuel.

I bought a motor from a guy that turned out to be total garbage and the only thing of use was the updated cam that provides the 125hp in the 617.952 motor. I have a motor from a 78 300SD in near perfect condition that had a spun rod. So between the two I am satisfied my complete motor will be kick ***.

I also was able to use the oil pan and slice the corner over the diff and I think it just provide sufficient clearance. I will post picture of the completed product that I know will work and not a speculation object

I also have a great set of injectors BOSCH if anyone is interested. 150+shipping usps.

Old 07-25-2014, 02:05 PM
Mudding

Huge progress now. I have rebuilt from the bottom up my OM617. Turned crank, fit bearings and one rod. This took a bit of time but I am ready to fit the motor into the truck to take measurements for my mount placement and length for mount bracket from motor out. My adapter plate is complete less the bell housing bolt holes as I still have to pull my 5sp R380 trans. I am ready to do my first start of the OM617 motor as soon as I fit the fuel pump and fit the delivery elements. I have adapter plate installed to the block as well as the flywheel, clutch and friction plate. So for the guy that accused me of VAPOUR and ZIPPY..... (imagine gnashing of teeth and swearing) as I say "Here is to you!" Pictures to come and and a link to a NEW thread on my build from start to finish. I have to get my recipient vehicle into my garage and the last bit of work will be done shortly.

Old 08-04-2014, 04:09 PM
Mudding

I have cut off the rover mount on frame side. I have a motor worthy of going in. The only other thing I need to do is drop motor in for mount rail measurements. Those of you that this is all vapour can go **** your self with my dogs rocket and blame it on your neighbour.... but you are still a negative role in this forum.. it will literally be a week before I have motor and trans mated up and mounts from motor to frame cut and welded.

Old 08-04-2014, 06:20 PM
Three Wheeling

Any plans for a waste veggie-oil conversion since it's one of the most desirable motors for it?
Very interested in seeing your build thread.

Old 08-05-2014, 12:36 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been working first hand with rauspius in getting this conversion complete. We are both doing the same project, with the same engine and transmission. We have been sharing information back and forth giving each other ideas and information that applies to our efforts. I can attest he is very near to having his conversion and you will all see very shortly.

I on the other hand have been dragging my feet, currently rebuilding my engine..

Old 08-05-2014, 12:54 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by 97GreenMeanie
Any plans for a waste veggie-oil conversion since it's one of the most desirable motors for it?
Very interested in seeing your build thread.
Thanks for your interest in my thread and welcome along. First, in order to have WVO system, you need a fuel cell, s pre-heater and a 100 micron or better filter and I would ad a 5-30psi lift pump tuned down to about 15psi.

First consideration is pump seals. The stock seals upon exposure to diferent fuel properties will ultimately expand and contract. This will cause your WVO to leak out of the front drive seal and into your motor oil thus contaminating your lubricant as well as the circulation faculty on the OM617. Most folks use a additive and create a coctail. Unfortunately, the nature and properties of fuel and oil are totally different animals. Bad, yes if you do not fit your injection pump with VITON seals

Second, The FUEL CELL. Depending on the capacity you plan to carry, the fuel cell will take quite a but of room in your cargo bay. The Disco has less than a Jeep Cherokee and well, i don't want an more of my cargo space to take up any more room. It is just not practicle for me unless, I have a long, wide and shallow cell taking the role of my new flooring.

Right now I am more concerned with fabrication and fitment. At another time I may consider WVO.

One thing to keep in mind is that you can burn transmission fluid.....this may be the alternative fuel I would go with just for sake. that is just me though.

Old 08-05-2014, 03:05 PM
Three Wheeling

Thanks for the response.
I was just referring to the greasecar kit for that motor. Not assembling my own kit.
https://www.greasecar.com/products/g...edan-1979-1994
I'd gladly sacrifice a portion of my cargo space for a tank of waste oil since diesel is $$$ in my area.

Old 08-06-2014, 12:06 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by 97GreenMeanie
Thanks for the response.
I was just referring to the greasecar kit for that motor. Not assembling my own kit.
https://www.greasecar.com/products/g...edan-1979-1994
I'd gladly sacrifice a portion of my cargo space for a tank of waste oil since diesel is $$$ in my area.
Yeah, I am not built for 1000+ system. maybe at another date when I am literally not on a shoe string budget. I have considered building my own kit which is more just the way i am anyway. good information though. thanks for the link.

Old 09-03-2014, 06:37 PM
Mudding

Just an update quick.
I learned to weld with a stick welder yesterday. Not hard but takes attention to speed, arch length and my friend is happy he has a trailer gate that closes nicely.

I have my R380 mated up to the OM617 briefly this afternoon to ensure all holes drilled in the adapter plate are aligned with the bell housing.
95 Disco I 3.9 to 300D Turbo Diesel Conversion-img_20140831_162220_257.jpg

95 Disco I 3.9 to 300D Turbo Diesel Conversion-img_20140831_162115_176.jpg
The trans and xfer case are under the DI ready to be put in straight away in the morning. Then motor will be dropped in so I can place mount sills to frame and cut my square tube for motor mounts them selves.

The goal is completion on friday.

Left to do.... exhaust from down pipe back where old y pipe meets secondary muffler... transfer rear diff from r380 donor and axles... mount power steering pump and modify hose to steering box connect fuel lines to motor and remove rover fuel pump from tank and bore out the fueling hole so FAT diesel nozzle will fit. more to come.

Old 09-13-2014, 07:44 PM
Mudding

Oil pan modification complete and fitted to sump this morning. Motor mounts are fabricated this after noon and motor is in position to receive the mounts. I have organized al my photos in all stages in preparation for my new and CLEAN build thread. stay tuned.

Quick Reply: 95 Disco I 3.9 to 300D Turbo Diesel Conversion