Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

95 Disco I 3.9 to 300D Turbo Diesel Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 03:03 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 95 Disco I 3.9 to OM617 3.0L Turbo Diesel Conversion

Greetings my fellow Landites!

I want to start by letting everyone interested in this conversion that I shall be available for questions for any particular stage that has been successfully complete. This includes easy production instructions as well as the hiccups along the way and the exact work around I used. Occasionally I may pose a questing or request input along the way. At the same time I don't want to clog this thread with back and forth divert clutter. (That is what PM is for) I will be posting relevant pictures with descriptions. Comments are of course welcome just be nice.

I have up to this point:

1. 1995 DI w/ 3.9 engine (smooth and strong) R380 Manual 5sp in great shape. Fount in MG RV8 vehicles or there is a distributor in Atlanta for about 2500.00 re-manufactured. Others have used the ZF like Jaroslow Maras from NJLR also on youtube and have stated that they would have used manual over auto trans. BTW Jerek M or Jatoslow Maras did this conversion first that I know of. All motivational and inspirational credit is due to the work he did before me
http://i1328.photobucket.com/albums/...psc7c3ccc1.jpg

2. 1983 Mercedes 300D W123 OM617 Turbo Diesel I pick up this evening for 500. Any one interested in parts, PM me. Wiki can give you torque and hp if you feel you have to ask.
http://i1328.photobucket.com/albums/...psf6652f7e.jpg

Motor in donor.
Name:  1374675482724_zpsbe2d8794.jpg
Views: 2739
Size:  80.8 KB

Motor out of donor.
Name:  CAM00253_zpsa450f434.jpg
Views: 2485
Size:  61.5 KB

SUPER CRITICAL COMPONENT!!!! Yay!
Name:  1389991805638_zpse686b9bb.jpg
Views: 2412
Size:  24.1 KB

Here's the whole clutch kit.
Name:  cam00198_zps47b69cba.jpg
Views: 2370
Size:  82.4 KB

Inside of flywheel and friction surface.
Name:  cam00197_zps98e83a93.jpg
Views: 2463
Size:  61.3 KB

3. Lincoln 225amp arch welder for motor mount modification.

4. Air Compressor with pneumatic tools because I don't want to turn a wrench if I don't have to anymore

5. Garage ... gotta have a work spot

6. Beer.

Things I am in need of if you are in the tampa bay area.

1. Engine Stand

2. Transmission stand or someone that has fabricated the transmission hoist platform detailed in RAVE.

3. Nylon or HDPE cutting board material measuring 20"x20" at 1" thick or same 20"x20" at 3/4" thickness for adapter .... or a CNC shop to read my r380 trans bell hosing and cut an adapter plate.

Last edited by raeuspius; 01-17-2014 at 03:25 PM.
Old 07-24-2013, 02:10 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

Checking in so I will get updates. Please post as many updates and pictures as you can!

I'll keep my questions and comments here as opposed to spreading them all over the forum as I did yesterday and today.

I have a well running 2000 Disco II, a well running 300CD, garage, air compressor, engine stand and crane, tools and beer. I've been torn on the transmission and clueless on the adapter and wiring. I've held on the Mercedes for just this project.

I gathered that Jarek's first experiment ended with the OM's demise because it was just a pull from a yard and, being an experiment, he didn't do anything with the engine. I saw he had put another OM in, but then I saw a video where he was showing the bits necessary to put a GM 6.2 in a rover, which left me confused. I like the turbo MB better than the GM 6.2 so I'm very interested in your project, to the point that I'd be glad to help you figure anything out that my meager capabilities will allow.

Last edited by Charlie_V; 07-24-2013 at 02:17 PM.
Old 07-24-2013, 10:59 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an OM617 from an 85 300D, and I would dearly love to stick it in Disco 1 with R380.... however, all the swaps I have heard of use the auto transmission.... I am waiting for somebody to successfully do this with the R380 and hear about the challenges.
In my mind, the major challenge is not the adapter plate, or the oil pan, but is the flywheel and clutch. If one uses a Mercedes flywheel (from a 240D) then how do you mount the Rover clutch onto it (perfectly centered, etc)? Of if you use a Rover flywheel, how do you overcome the totally miss-matched hole pattern?

Another challenge for me would be the A/C compressor. It will not fit in the stock Mercedes location because of the Rover steering box. Perhaps it could be moved over by the alternator?

Old 07-25-2013, 09:10 AM
Mudding

Thanks for your interestand enthusiasm guys.

As far as the engine, i plan on dropping the oul pan and main cap to at very lease check clearences and condition of rod bearings. I drove the DONER from st petersburg to spring hill over heated but lost no fluid and blew no white smoke. I may do the head gasket. And i will do compression. I need a water pump and a fan clutch for the doner motor as well. At 300k on the motor, i consider just broke in. I am confident no major damage has been sustained from previous over heating as definately runs quiet, strong and very smooth at 3000rpm.

My biggest issue will be when time for the swap, i will be out of a vehicle as the rover is my daily driver.

More to come as i have .

Old 07-25-2013, 09:18 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by kentworks
I have an OM617 from an 85 300D, and I would dearly love to stick it in Disco 1 with R380.... however, all the swaps I have heard of use the auto transmission.... I am waiting for somebody to successfully do this with the R380 and hear about the challenges.
In my mind, the major challenge is not the adapter plate, or the oil pan, but is the flywheel and clutch. If one uses a Mercedes flywheel (from a 240D) then how do you mount the Rover clutch onto it (perfectly centered, etc)? Of if you use a Rover flywheel, how do you overcome the totally miss-matched hole pattern?

Another challenge for me would be the A/C compressor. It will not fit in the stock Mercedes location because of the Rover steering box. Perhaps it could be moved over by the alternator?
Regarding the flywheel, i was thinking about putting them together, tack it, drill appropriately, then take to my machinist for balancing. I figure there will be plenty of room in the bell housing considering the extension af 3/4 to 1 inch of the adapter. It is all conjecture to this point til i have both flywheels in hand to make an assessment. Right now it is all a fairy tail to me until it is all done

Old 07-25-2013, 09:20 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Charlie_V
Checking in so I will get updates. Please post as many updates and pictures as you can!

I'll keep my questions and comments here as opposed to spreading them all over the forum as I did yesterday and today.

I have a well running 2000 Disco II, a well running 300CD, garage, air compressor, engine stand and crane, tools and beer. I've been torn on the transmission and clueless on the adapter and wiring. I've held on the Mercedes for just this project.

I gathered that Jarek's first experiment ended with the OM's demise because it was just a pull from a yard and, being an experiment, he didn't do anything with the engine. I saw he had put another OM in, but then I saw a video where he was showing the bits necessary to put a GM 6.2 in a rover, which left me confused. I like the turbo MB better than the GM 6.2 so I'm very interested in your project, to the point that I'd be glad to help you figure anything out that my meager capabilities will allow.
I assume you speak of a 6.2 diesel?

Old 07-25-2013, 09:27 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

I've built the R380/LT230 jack adaptor.

Old 07-25-2013, 09:30 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

jack adapter like this?

Attached Thumbnails 95 Disco I 3.9 to 300D Turbo Diesel Conversion-transfer-case-holder.jpg  
Old 07-25-2013, 09:36 AM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by raeuspius
I assume you speak of a 6.2 diesel?
Yes, referring to a diesel. I have seen and investigated some swaps and the long term follow up was that the 6.2 is not a good swap. It is not very tunable, the ones I corresponded with said no turbo charger, they are very heavy, and they require a lot of engine bay modifications.

Old 07-25-2013, 09:44 AM
Camel Trophy

Yesterday I fired up the Mercedes and just watched it. I have a vacuum leak in a line in the driver door so it let it run a bit then hit the big stop button on top of the valve cover. So simple. This thread motivated me.

I'm going to look closely at the OM617 videos online to see if I can spy an air conditioner compressor... I never noticed before. That would be a necessity where I live. The MB compressor is designed for R12 (mine is converted to R134) and I promise it will not do the job of cooling an SUV. AC is a necessity where I live (Texas). I will report back.

Quick Reply: 95 Disco I 3.9 to 300D Turbo Diesel Conversion