Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

About to buy a Discovery II, some advice?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 11:06 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default About to buy a Discovery II, some advice?

I'm looking to buy a Discovery II soon, and I would like to know what to look for. I've searched through this site and have seen that there is an oil pump problem with the 2003 and I have the VIN number range for that. I saw someone suggested looking for a "what to look for" thread in the Tech section, but I was unable to find it.
If somebody would be kind enough to list the most common problems and what to look for, I would appreciate it.
Thanks,

Mike

Old 05-22-2011, 11:16 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maintenance records are great but if it is a multi-owner vehicle that might be too much to ask for. I would start it as soon as I got there to look at the truck and let it idle while you look it over. Notice if the "Service Engine Soon" light works for a bulb check and turns off after starting. Run the AC too. If it starts well and doesn't overheat while idleing for 30minutes or so, go for a thorough test drive. Pay attention for smooth acceleration and any vibration. Check all the door locks and window motors. Ask how many keys come with the truck (new are $150+). Owners manual? Personnally, I would stay away from 2003 unless the motor has been replaced.
Good luck.

Old 05-22-2011, 11:27 PM
2nd Gear

Thank you.

Old 05-23-2011, 07:26 AM
Drifting

Run....? lol

Old 05-23-2011, 07:35 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Mike, don't buy it unless you have a good Rover tech. not a dealer, check it out.

Old 05-23-2011, 09:26 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dont unless you have a spare vehicle, mechnical know how and/or cash to burn on upkeep/repairs.

other then that, look at everything, there really isnt anything on these vehicles that doesnt demand attention, they leak everything. look for oil leaks around timing cover and valve covers at the rear, look for coolant leaks around the throttlebody heater, look for powerstearing fluid leaks at the bottom of the container, look for warped heads and blown headgaskets and signs of overheating (external leaks or internal, look for white smoke at startup from exhuast or sweet smell of coolant, and check coolant level), check for ultra frail plastic coolant return lines under throttlebody and from radiator to overflow box, looking at them sideways often causes them to snap in half... listen for various knocks, squeeks and ticks that can be anything from gummed up, lose or broken pullies to valves to sleeves... check for the "three amigos" problem, where the system looses partial functionality and lights up the ABS, TC and Downhill assist lights on the dash, likely indicating a faulty shuttle valve due to wiring/fluid leaks onto the internals, check for water leaks under the dash on the passenger side from windshield seals, and the roof liner near the roof rack and windows/sunroofs... and definatly check the ujoints on the driveshafts, especially the front where the factory joints dry out (nonservicable) and start wearing at the coupler (forget its lr name) eventually leading it to crack open or more likely destroying your transfercase, tranny and/or the driveshaft whipping out and damaging everything else under there. and be ready to check all of this on a rather frequent manner while owning it, because most of these, if not all will probably show up at 85-120k miles. just stay away from 2003 altogether unless you are buying it for chassis/body part replacement of another disco you already own haha. and if you test drive it, make sure you get it upto highway speed for shakes/rattles/vibrations from wheel bearings, alignment and balance issues of wheels and drivetrain shafts and to check transmisison shifting smoothness.

i forgot, look at the exhuast system and leaks by the headers and collector gaskets...and window regulator problems, and door lock electrical problems, and alarm problems (check sensor under hood that falls apart) and if it has airbag suspension in the rear, check for functionaility and its ability to hold pressure, check bags for potential problems.

Last edited by grandkodiak; 05-23-2011 at 09:33 AM.
Old 05-23-2011, 03:08 PM
Overlanding

SDRover,

If you enjoy "labor of love" vehicles and have a reliable daily driver buy a Disco cheap and have fun (bought mine for $1500 needing a tranny). I am on my 3rd Rover and my daily drivers are an 08 Camry and an 01 Accord. Get the picture? hahaa.

My advice if you go ahead and buy a disco...READ THIS FORUM, Invest in metric tools, make friends that like wheeling and getting their hands greasy (and possibly one with a rollback or car trailer), and learn to say F$&# IT every time something breaks or you break down. AAA isn't a bad option either.

But if you are going to be hauling this thing to a mechanic every time an ABS light pops on or there is some fluid dripping on your driveway...RUN, as fast as you can

Good luck Bro

Old 05-23-2011, 03:16 PM
Winching
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bothomasmusic
SDRover,

If you enjoy "labor of love" vehicles and have a reliable daily driver buy a Disco cheap and have fun (bought mine for $1500 needing a tranny). I am on my 3rd Rover and my daily drivers are an 08 Camry and an 01 Accord. Get the picture? hahaa.

My advice if you go ahead and buy a disco...READ THIS FORUM, Invest in metric tools, make friends that like wheeling and getting their hands greasy (and possibly one with a rollback or car trailer), and learn to say F$&# IT every time something breaks or you break down. AAA isn't a bad option either.

But if you are going to be hauling this thing to a mechanic every time an ABS light pops on or there is some fluid dripping on your driveway...RUN, as fast as you can

Good luck Bro
X2...I couldn't have said it better myself. I love my Rover, but they aren't for everyone and they are a lot more work than many other options...

Old 05-23-2011, 05:55 PM
Winching

x2 all that being said.

The flip side is you can do most of the work yourself (outside of rebuilding the front driveshaft and a head gasket job). Not saying you cannot do those either, but those are the 2 big hard ones I think.

"Don't be afraid". That's what my neighbor, who runs his own F250 powerstroke fleet repair and custom shop, always tells me when mine starts to act up.