General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking to buy a '99 Range Rover Need Some Advice.

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2006, 09:17 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to buy a '99 Range Rover Need Some Advice.

Hi all this I am new to the forum and looking for a little advice.

I am looking to buy a 1999 P38 (<--I think thats right) Range Rover 4.6HSE with 52k miles. I have had a Defender 90 and my father has had a few Range Rovers (his '96 caught fire). I currently drive a 1979 Porsche 911SC...I love it but I am moving to California and I need something that will be more comfortable to drive in traffic and something with A/C. This body style Range Rover has been my dream car for a good while now...I have such fond memories of riding in them. I have come close to buying them in the past but I have always chickened out near the last minute. My mechanic has told me in the past that if I were to buy one it needs to be inspected very regularly and he said that I should reserve around $2500 a year for repairs, which I really cannot afford...however a fairly comprehensive warranty can be had for around $2500 3 years 30k miles. I have had experience buying warranties and I know this is a good one. The Range Rover is just about the only car I can afford and justify trading my Porsche in for. I just do not know if it is worth it. My business relies on my car and I need transportation every week day. I will be driving a short distance every week day (less than 5 miles) and no more 100 miles on the weekends. Is it worth it? I do not want something that will be in the shop all the time. Are some just bad ones? I know the first few years were worse than the others but I have not heard great things about any of the years.

I would really like to know what you guys think.
Thanks for your time,

Old 08-20-2006, 05:13 PM
Three Wheeling
Default RE: Looking to buy a '99 Range Rover Need Some Advice.

I just bought a 98 RR 4.0 SE, which is the American/Canadian version of the P38; P38 is what they call it in UK/Europe I think. I bought it because I always loved the shape/style as well. I live in NYC and just drive on weekends. I got mine at just under 75K miles for just under $9K at a Chrysler Dealer in deep suburbs of NYC. I too bought a 3rd party warranty, but mine is 4 year, unlimited miles and allows me to take it to the Range Rover dealer or anywhere else. We took it, for example, on a 400 mile trip to the countryside upstate this weekend, and encountered backroads, highways, pouring rain, heat, humidity, and it handled great.

RRs definitely have awful mechanical records, worst in the auto industry from something I read in the NYTimes a couple months ago--and that's clear from this forum. But 5 miles a day each way to work, 50 miles a week, + 100 per weekend =600 miles a month, that's 7000 miles a year. That's low on average I'd think. This may mean that you may have less exposure to mechanical issues, but then again, it may not if there are looming issues under the hood. It seems that there are really bad issues with the electrical system which, I guess, are hard to predict. If can have it "checked out" by a RR mechanic, that might give you some confidence.

Anyways, I think the point I am trying to make is that if you really love the RR and you want to have the experience of owning one, I say do it. It is a very sweet ride, very unique, and is nice and comfortable for city driving. And with forums like this, you kinda feel like a member in a small club.

I looked at a few at used car lots (make sure you check CarFax on those) and private parties before I bought this one, and what turned the corner for me was that it was from a dealer, meaning that they had done a "100 point quality check" and offered a 3 month, 3000 mile warranty as part of the deal. This would not be the case from a private sale.

I figure that most of the issues that the owner would never tell you about will come out in the first 90 days, and then the dealer will want to save face by taking care of it. I have had a couple issues already (battery died, female part of seat belt housing cracked, AC failure light is on) and they dealt with it honorably. None a dime out of my pocket yet for either parts or labor.

One thing I wish I had thought a little bit before I bought was the exterior equipment that was already installed. For example it has a roof rack, front nudge bar, and taillight cages. That provides a much different look than without any of those. Without them it is much more sleek and urban I guess. It also has a subtle gold pinstripe that they owner had put on "custom" (which I hate).

Anways, some random thoughts in response to your post....let me know what you do.

Old 09-30-2006, 05:24 PM
4th Gear

Where would you purchase a warranty from? I'm looking at picking up one of these trucks as well. I get into trouble with fast cars...

Old 09-30-2006, 08:14 PM
Three Wheeling

I have a warranty on mine from C.A.R.S. (888-335-6838) tipical 3rd party warranty but I guess it is better than nothing, Mine is a 48 mo. unlimited mileage one. The problem is not so much tne mechanical part as it is the electronic part that controls it, if it has a problem the whole system freaks. There is a computer for EVERYTHING, that all talks back to a BeCM, etc etc. eventually you end up with this.......I am going back to the classic body, now the 94 I had was a beast off-road

[IMG]local://upfiles/2904/8E327354178B49D69EEC4BF3A031D2A9.jpg[/IMG]

Old 09-30-2006, 09:51 PM
Three Wheeling

I got my 48 month, unlimited mileage warranty from Warranty 4 Wheels as suggested by Rangerovers.net

here's the link

http://rangerovers.net/rrwarranties.htm

I have a waiting to see if an AC claim is going to go through (book symbol ! faillure light on)(. I will let you know how it goes if you want.