Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 discovery overheating

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 09:30 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did I read right when I saw that the t stat is opened with pressure? I was thinking about going and getting a genuine lr t stat before I drill holes in the other one. Why is the pressure so high in the upper hoses and no pressure in the lower one coming from the rad. What issues would I find by drilling holes n the other t stat. It's just a valve that allows coolant to flow or not. Have u tried to drill a t stat for temp fix until u pull it apart. It's too cold here to work on it and my racecar is in the garage. Sorry so long I just wanted to be accurate about what I've done. Cheers. Kevin

Old 03-02-2010, 09:36 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I am with Mike. You state that you are not using the approved coolant. How did you change it? If you do not open the drains on the block, flush with water, drain and refill, it is mixed. Dex cool does not mix with anything.

Drain everything and flush several times with water, then fill it up with what you want. Draining your radiator still leaves half of your block full. Then you need to go through the proper bleeding.

Old 03-02-2010, 09:51 AM
Three Wheeling

We pulled all the old coolant out with a suction machine. Ran great for 2 weeks driving it daily then it overhears again. What do u think about replacing with a lr t stat from the dealer?

Old 03-02-2010, 12:54 PM
Three Wheeling

Ok I took out the old stat and depressed it enough so that I could bend the plunger inward so it would never make a tight seal and would allow flow around it. Filled up the system and drove it home with no issues. Stayed really cold just above the blue on the dash and opened the overflow just to see if the pressure was building up and it was normal just a small amount like a normal vehicle would have. Obviously the heat didn't work as well as before but at least it didn't overheat. I let it idle for 20 minutes and it never heated up at all. I think I will try a genuine lr stat and see if it works. If not this one I've modified will go back in until spring comes and I can work on it more. Thanks for all the help. Will report back after I get the new stat. Cheers