Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ARB bumper 99 to 02 versus 03 to 04

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2015, 08:47 AM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

I'm not sure about on these newer bumpers, but I think on the bumpers for D1 and RRC, I think that I read that they used turn signals from a VW Rabbit/Golf or something.

Old 01-29-2015, 09:06 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

I think I will wire the white part to my parking lights and the yellow to the turn lamp. I have to look at it though... It may just cause both to flash when turning.

Old 01-29-2015, 09:07 AM
Camel Trophy

No that's not right. They are separate bulbs in my existing setup. It should work.

Old 01-29-2015, 04:40 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the measurements. I like this bumper the most because it keeps the factory fogs and washers. These openings and side marker lights seem kind of an afterthought to me.

Old 01-29-2015, 04:44 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by OilPatch
These openings and side marker lights seem kind of an afterthought to me.
It's probably the bull bar tubes and driving lights if you add them might obscure the stock turn signals a little bit. Australia seems to be pretty strict about vehicle equipment. Those guys cannot even put oversized tires without paying big bucks for an engineer to sign off on it.

Old 02-01-2015, 01:34 AM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by jafir
It's probably the bull bar tubes and driving lights if you add them might obscure the stock turn signals a little bit. Australia seems to be pretty strict about vehicle equipment. Those guys cannot even put oversized tires without paying big bucks for an engineer to sign off on it.
I got the washers, Jafir.. Awesome. They fit the holes precisely. . I just hooked them up to my existing hoses so of I ever have a bumper that sticks out a couple of more feet I will have enough hose, haha. I need to figure out how to make them stay, though. The ARB bar doesn't have something underneath that the stock bumper must have that holds them in place. It took about 4 minutes to get them installed, including finding my creeper.

I'm sure you are right about the Australian traffic code. They all seem to have the same stuff and it all looks cool! The location for the turn signals and fogs in the bumpers is where the bumper angles back so lights would seem to angle to the left and right of the truck, but the brackets for the fogs point them directly forward. I'm hot on the trail of some LED fogs that will fit the spot and the brackets.

The tube does partially block the turn indicators (on my 2000) but they are still clearly visible when lit. I parked in front of a large window and tested it. If it isn't raining tomorrow (slim chance) the included turn indicators are going on. I'll post my finding when I get it done.

Old 02-02-2015, 07:14 AM
Camel Trophy

Installed the turn indicators that came with the bumper. They are very bright. Easy installation if you can wire the lights (no instructions for that were included). On my 2000 I simply had to pull my turn lights out and make splices. The wire colors even matched.

Only hiccup is that when you use the turn signal or hazards the trailer dash light momentarily flashes.

Old 02-03-2015, 04:59 PM
Camel Trophy

From the pictures on the previous page you can see that there is a bracket inside the fog light holes that can basically be described as a long rectangle of metal, running parallel to the ground, with a slot in the middle. The bracket points to the front of the vehicle, even though the bumper at that point is slightly swept back. There are two metal rings for Land Rover Discovery (03-04) fog lights, and they are a circle with three holes (the light attachment points, which must be on the front of the land rover fog lights), and a swept back metal part that would bolt to the bumper bracket I just mentioned.

So I found some 4 inch lights on amazon and ebay but they are basically set up for a bumper or other location, with a base that has a bolt coming out and a hinged pivot point. It seems fairly unlikely that the base is going to be just the right height so that I can mount it sideways on the inner bumper bracket and, if I did, it seems equally unlikely that the one pivot will hold it in true position since it will be mounted sideways.

I've googled, searched,. and prayed, and I cannot find anyone who has substituted non land rover fog lights on a Disco 2, 03-04. Maybe that is because it can't be done.

Anyone heard of this?

Old 02-03-2015, 05:28 PM
Super Moderator

You can get the fogs for about $91 each here: https://www.landrovermerriamparts.co...&siteid=215719
https://www.landrovermerriamparts.co...&siteid=215719
But I'd hope that you could get them for $100 or less used, for the pair. Maybe try some of the used parts people like Will Tillery, Marty Powell, Paul Grant, etc. if they cannot help try www.car-part.com for used stuff.

You can also get them from here for about £48, but you'd have to get a shipping quote to see if it would be worth it. http://www.island-4x4.co.uk/advanced...000090&x=0&y=0

Old 02-03-2015, 07:08 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,465 Likes on 1,196 Posts

There is a guy selling a used set in the classifieds on here

Quick Reply: ARB bumper 99 to 02 versus 03 to 04