Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blinking brake light

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 07:50 AM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blinking brake light

Hi Fellers and Gals,
Its the old man again. 2000 Disco 2, 110k miles
I have a blinking brake light on the dash. The one that tells you your hand brake is on. Hit a bump turn a corner ect. I think I know the problem, hand brake needs adusted as it goes about seven clicks and should be three. Does the window switches have to come out? If they do how much more comes out before I can make adjustment?
Service manual says remove gaiter. Is that the boot on the shift lever? ( Never said I was smart.)
Shoes need tightened and then back off 1.5 turns and then take up cable . I think I have all that but some of the terms they use stump me.
I to have had dealer problems. Took it in because of three amigos, and a surging between 40 and 50mph . 1k bucks later and still surges. I am more upside down on truck than before.
Service is great as far as the people go but their mechanics are not worth what they charge for them. They balanced ( Tried to) tires new MAS, new throttle heater gasket,new drag link, and adjusted brain back to spring suspension and not air. No idea why it changed.
Love the truck feel good in it just getting so I am afraid to take it anywhere.
Sorry this is so long Thanks for your help.
Con

Old 10-15-2007, 07:58 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: Blinking brake light

Might also check the level of your brake fluid. There is a float in the cap of the reservoir, and if you level is low, the brake light will come one. I haven't adjusted the park brake, but yes, the gaiter is the rubber boot.

Old 10-15-2007, 12:50 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Blinking brake light

Before you begin to take your console apart and climb under the back of the truck, follow the recommendation from okdiscoguy. The sensor on the brake fluid cap can sometimes get dirty and stick. Just make sure your brake fluid is topped off and the sensor is clean of debri. If the light still keeps coming on then attempt to tighten the e-brake, and also consider that your break pads my be wearing down.