Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear wipper issuw/D2 Wipers ASAP

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 02:52 PM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rear wipper issuw/D2 Wipers ASAP

Cheers! 2004 Disco II here and I have never been happy with what I am certain is still the factory rear wiper... it doesnt make a full half moon shape! Hopefully the blade is just worn, but before I order, can anyone else relate in the slightest?

Does you rear wiper touch/contact the entire surface of the window? I like being dusty + mud drenched in the summer months and want the full wiper motion shape in the rear window to go along with my motoring decals.

Sidenote: Looking to replace all the blades. Not interested in a switch to D1 arms. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm seeing Rain X 21 inch weatherbeaters for 11.99 @ a local parts store as a match AND THAT CAN'T BE A FIT. Thought we needed stubs?

Old 02-03-2011, 03:15 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by vrblknch
Cheers! 2004 Disco II here and I have never been happy with what I am certain is still the factory rear wiper... it doesnt make a full half moon shape! Hopefully the blade is just worn, but before I order, can anyone else relate in the slightest?

Does you rear wiper touch/contact the entire surface of the window? I like being dusty + mud drenched in the summer months and want the full wiper motion shape in the rear window to go along with my motoring decals.

Sidenote: Looking to replace all the blades. Not interested in a switch to D1 arms. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm seeing Rain X 21 inch weatherbeaters for 11.99 @ a local parts store as a match AND THAT CAN'T BE A FIT. Thought we needed stubs?
My rear wiper goes from horizontal to just past vertical then back down, it does NOT wipe the whole surface of the window, is that what you are unhappy with?

Just out of curiosity, why are you opposed to the DI arm swap? The tension spring on the DII arms wears out WAY too fast and that's why all the popular kids are switching over to DI arms. Plus when you convert you'll have your choice in blades like a normal human being, and it doesn't cost you $50 to replace each one each time...

For blades, I've got the Bosch Icon's and they are pretty great, Goodyear came out with something similar, but not sure the price difference. 21" is the right size for DII.

Last edited by yloDiscoII; 02-03-2011 at 03:18 PM.
Old 02-03-2011, 03:24 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

+1 I went to D1 arms (f+r) and a Bosch Icon blade on my rear and Silblades on the front.

Old 02-03-2011, 03:59 PM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At the very APEX/top of the rear wiper motion, the blade doesnt seem to be flush with the window... so I get the sharp 20 degree and 160 degree shape, but right at the top of the mound, its fuzzy. May be no way to tell if something's misaligned until I refit a new rear blade.

Just want to remain pretty close to stock. I'm not really into mods. I still live in an imaginary world where I would lie in bed @ nite and hear the stock arms crying somewhere in a landfill beside the brave little toaster, an Atari 2600, and a polaroid camera. If 21 inches is indeed the right length looks like I'll do the RainX.

Old 02-03-2011, 04:10 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by vrblknch
At the very APEX/top of the rear wiper motion, the blade doesnt seem to be flush with the window... so I get the sharp 20 degree and 160 degree shape, but right at the top of the mound, its fuzzy. May be no way to tell if something's misaligned until I refit a new rear blade.

Just want to remain pretty close to stock. I'm not really into mods. I still live in an imaginary world where I would lie in bed @ nite and hear the stock arms crying somewhere in a landfill beside the brave little toaster, an Atari 2600, and a polaroid camera. If 21 inches is indeed the right length looks like I'll do the RainX.
I would say the tension in the spring is wearing out so the blade isn't keeping constant contact with the glass. You might be able to find a throttle return spring at the auto parts store that you could cut to fit and give your blade some more life? I'd start simple and replace the blades first and see if that is the remedy.

I wouldn't really say that the DI wiper arms are a "mod" per say, it's still a Land Rover Discovery part, just a throwback. But I understand where you're coming from, the DII arms do look much more modern and European they just aren't quite as functional.