Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Emissions Test - SAI Code

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 10:19 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Emissions Test - SAI Code

For the last 6-8 months, I've been getting codes P1412 and P1415 from the SAI system in my 04 disco. I kept putting it off, but knowing I had to get it addressed to pass an emissions test to register my car. Well that kept getting put off, and yesterday I got cited for out of date tags. So now I need to get this truck to pass an emissions test, but keep getting these two SAI codes. I've read all there is to read, triple checked each connection and re zip-tied everything in the SAI system. I'm still getting the codes for both banks, and I can hear the pump coming on. Would it be a reasonable assumption that the solenoid has gone bad? I find it hard to believe that both SAI valves have gone bad at the same time. So I'd like to focus on items that affect both banks, which would include the pump, solenoid, vacuum canister, and hoses/connections. A solenoid about $20 new, so if its not the cause I haven't wasted much.. Reasonable place to start?

I attempted an emissions test, but got an SAI not ready and an Evap not ready rejection because I didn't complete a drive cycle since clearing the codes.

Old 01-31-2011, 10:29 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

pull both sai valves and clean them out with some good carbon cleaner, Im currently chasing down a 1413 code and was amazed how carboned up the valve was....

Old 01-31-2011, 10:32 AM
Mudding

I got the same codes a few weeks back due to cracking the brittle POS tube that runs from the SAI pump to the metal SAI tubes that run behind the engine...

That plastic tubing was already cracked, but after having to move it aside again for another wire replacement it broke into 2 pieces...

Of course those 2 codes can be set off for a few different reasons that's what mine was from...I replaced that hose with some regular heater hose and haven't had those 2 codes since...

Old 01-31-2011, 10:47 AM
Three Wheeling

Thanks, I've checked the rubber hoses, and they appear to be fine. The truck is an 04, so theres not a lot of cracking rubber...yet. I'll clean the valves, but I find it very very hard to believe both got gummed up at the same time...

I forgot to mention, this started when I pulled the old SAI pump filter, and put some rolled up generic air filter foam in it on recommendation from someone on the forums. I started getting the code, and my local rover mechanic said its probably because the new filter wasn't allowing enough air into the pump. Well I've had the filter removed and am still getting the code. So either pump or solenoid....

Old 01-31-2011, 12:29 PM
Rock Crawling

well maybe some crap got blow into the valves from the filter...I'm curious was your sai pump turning on at a traffic light or prolonged stop after the engine was warm/hot?

Old 01-31-2011, 12:51 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by agthird
well maybe some crap got blow into the valves from the filter...I'm curious was your sai pump turning on at a traffic light or prolonged stop after the engine was warm/hot?
Yes. It was doing just that. I read in the rave, if the SAI system has to disengage early due to engine load, at the time when it is supposed to come on (cold start), it can't finish its "passive" tests. It then performs an "active" test whenever it gets an opportunity. (IE at a traffic light, idling).

When it does that, I get codes P1414 and P1417, which are, according to the RAVE (assuming I understand it correctly?) the same type of failure, except active test failure vs. the passive test failure of the 1412 and p1415.

Old 01-31-2011, 01:41 PM
Three Wheeling

Just went out and disconnected the air hose from the pump..it is definitely working, and pushing out alot of air as it should.

Old 01-31-2011, 09:21 PM
Three Wheeling

Ordered a solenoid, and it should be here on wednesday. I also tested each SAI valve by connecting a hose, and blowing into it. Both valves were closed as they should be. Then I sucked air and got a good vacuum, meaning both valves were working properly. These procedures were given to me by PT. Schram.

So far, I've eliminated the pump, and both valves, and all my connections are tight. I need ideas just in case the solenoid isn't the problem..any takers?

Old 01-31-2011, 09:24 PM
Rock Crawling

try cleaning both valves real good my 1413 has not showed up since I cleaned it but I also replaced the solenoid valve....also check the vacuum harness that connects the valves to one another...

Old 02-03-2011, 06:34 PM
Three Wheeling

Problem Solved. I cleared the codes that day, and ordered a new solenoid. For some strange reason, the next morning, the codes didn't reappear. I took it to Firestone for kicks to see if it would pass the inspection and...it did! I have no idea what changed, but it started working again.

Even so, the solenoid arrived today and I replaced it anyway. The codes are still gone, and hopefully not coming back!