Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gas Flap Door

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2014, 09:45 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Gas Flap Door

My gas flap door keeps opening up even when I don't press the button. Then sometimes when I press the button, it won't open. I just get tired of driving around and having people flag me down and tell me my gas door is open.

Thanks for the advice.

Old 10-24-2014, 09:51 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by oilspotLR
My gas flap door keeps opening up even when I don't press the button. Then sometimes when I press the button, it won't open. I just get tired of driving around and having people flag me down and tell me my gas door is open.

Thanks for the advice.
Sounds like the latch to me.

This vendor has the D2 latch. I'm sure other vendors do as well.

Latch - Fuel Filler Latch - Genuine
Ref: BPX700010 / Price $4.65
Application: Discovery II

RovahFarm for all your new Land Rover Parts and Accessories

No affiliation

Last edited by RicketyTick; 10-24-2014 at 10:19 PM.
Old 10-24-2014, 10:11 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

Same thing happened to me. I purchased a new "closer" (~$5) and decided to replace it while the truck was sitting on top of three feet of snow in my driveway. I dropped it in the snow bank and didn't find it till spring.

However, I was able to adjust the faulty closer by ever so slightly pinching it closed. That was like four years ago. It's been fine ever since.

Old 10-24-2014, 10:16 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 115 Likes on 89 Posts

Common problem with the Discovery II. I noticed one tonight in a parking lot that had the same issue - popped open and flapping in the wind. I lost my 'closer' a couple of years ago and and ended up just putting 2 tiny magnets that I had on hand right under the flap. No more problems and easy to open at the gas station. Nice to know that the correct part is replaceable and cheap.

Old 10-25-2014, 02:37 AM
TReK
Received 503 Likes on 418 Posts

Yep, you can fix that by bending the arm until it works properly.

Old 10-25-2014, 09:54 AM
Recovery Vehicle

I tried fixing mine by tightening it up a little, it worked for awhile then started popping open again. I then decided to take one off of another truck and broke it getting it off. I finally just ordered a couple.
But yes I would try tightening it up a little first.

Old 10-25-2014, 12:16 PM
TReK
Received 503 Likes on 418 Posts

I do a lot of driving in Oregon where attendants must pump the gas so you have a whole lot of people opening and shutting that door.

The arm on the door that goes into the latch can bend to the left or the right and then not latch shut.

Often it is simply a matter of bending it back to the proper alignment, it bends easily.

I've had to do this half a dozen times over the years. Never needed any new parts or had anything broken.

Old 10-25-2014, 12:27 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by Dave03S
I do a lot of driving in Oregon where attendants must pump the gas so you have a whole lot of people opening and shutting that door.

The arm on the door that goes into the latch can bend to the left or the right and then not latch shut.

Often it is simply a matter of bending it back to the proper alignment, it bends easily.

I've had to do this half a dozen times over the years. Never needed any new parts or had anything broken.
Good tip!

Old 10-25-2014, 12:42 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 115 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave03S

That's how mine broke. I didn't realize that I had pulled into the one gas station in town that had an attendant (I'm sure it was because his electronics to the pump broke) and before I could push the button he was trying to pry the door open. The part fell out shortly afterward. I didn't and still don't know how to replace it... I understand what the issue is though. I think I lost more parts than the 'closer'.

Old 10-25-2014, 01:02 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by KernowDiscovery
That's how mine broke. I didn't realize that I had pulled into the one gas station in town that had an attendant (I'm sure it was because his electronics to the pump broke) and before I could push the button he was trying to pry the door open. The part fell out shortly afterward. I didn't and still don't know how to replace it... I understand what the issue is though. I think I lost more parts than the 'closer'.
Probably just the plastic latch, unless he broke the metal arm off of the door that the latch connects to.

Last edited by RicketyTick; 10-25-2014 at 01:05 PM.