Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My replacement Heater core pipes are bent..?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2012, 05:29 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts
Default My replacement Heater core pipes are bent..?

Hey guys so I'm replacing the heater core and heater pipes in my truck. i've noticed that the replacement pipes ive ordered from AB look exactly like the factory stock ones that came with the truck, except the top portion of the pipes that goes the firewall are bent. It looks like they are bent at the same angle deliberately.

Why is this? Do i need to bend them straight? The original stock pipes are completely straight in this area. I've got the new core attached to the hvac with the clamps on the o-rings and everything. However since the pipes are bent in this manner the HVAC will not sit properly, and the pipes are sitting at an awkward angle through the firewall.

However I noticed that if I don't attach the pipes to the bracket that holds them to the HVAC then the heater pipes sit perfect through the fire wall the HVAC refits properly.

Did Rover intend to make replacement pipes this way to ease the replacement process if things go bad again down the road? I just don't get it. I've read that the bracket that holds them to the HVAC helps keep pressure on the o-rings to seal. But is this necessarily true?

Old 05-19-2012, 03:11 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Alright I guess no one's done the job before.