Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new hub, seal, or just get a jeep?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2015, 09:27 PM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

If only Jeeps were immune to the same problems.... but in reality regardless of which brand you buy, once your vehicle gets some miles on it and the years go by you are just going to have to deal with worn hubs, worn seals, worn tie rods, dampers, suspension, frame rust, engine issues, and cosmetic. The more you use it the quicker its going to wear down and require service. You could say the hell with the seal or bad hub and buy a bicycle.... lol

When I noticed a leak like that I went ahead and replaced both axle shaft seals and the wheels hubs. One less thing to worry about for a long *** time. Those hubs look worn and if you dont replace them now you most likely will be selling your D2 in the near future once you start hearing grinding like noises in the hubs.

Old 05-26-2015, 05:05 AM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by TRIARII
If only Jeeps were immune to the same problems.... but in reality regardless of which brand you buy, once your vehicle gets some miles on it and the years go by you are just going to have to deal with worn hubs, worn seals, worn tie rods, dampers, suspension, frame rust, engine issues, and cosmetic. The more you use it the quicker its going to wear down and require service. You could say the hell with the seal or bad hub and buy a bicycle.... lol

When I noticed a leak like that I went ahead and replaced both axle shaft seals and the wheels hubs. One less thing to worry about for a long *** time. Those hubs look worn and if you dont replace them now you most likely will be selling your D2 in the near future once you start hearing grinding like noises in the hubs.
x1. Agreed, tired old vehicles are all the same with exactly the same problems particularly related to mileage and lacking good service history.

Old 05-26-2015, 11:00 AM
Drifting
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So how do I tell if a hub is worn? The vehicle has 131,000 dallas, Texas miles. I will be doing this repair in the next couple weeks and need to decide to ask my wife for $50 or $500.

Old 05-26-2015, 12:10 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 117 Likes on 82 Posts
Default money

Originally Posted by stuckntx
So how do I tell if a hub is worn? The vehicle has 131,000 dallas, Texas miles. I will be doing this repair in the next couple weeks and need to decide to ask my wife for $50 or $500.
Ask her for $1000. And when she freaks tell her you might get it done for $500.

Old 05-26-2015, 12:57 PM
Mudding
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

The hub seal is very easy. Just did my pass.rear last weekend. Disassemble the brakes as normal, pull the four 12pt hub bolts and gently tap the hub/axle out. That's it really. Don't have to remove the big bearing nut and don't try to torque anything to 300ft pounds. Nothing tricky or special to the job.

Hope That Helps

Old 05-26-2015, 03:48 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by stuckntx
If you can detect any movement it can be the bearing and additionally spin the wheel and listen to the bearing housing using a stethoscope. If it's the front bearing you suspect be careful not to misread any play as it can also be the top or bottom swivel ***** joints or even the drag or track control ball end joints.

Just grab as much cash as you can get and consider what a hero you will be if you hand her back some change.

Old 05-26-2015, 06:11 PM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

$385 you can get a brand new wheel hub assembly complete with new ABS sensor and save on labor cost by putting it in yourself: HUB ASSY REAR w/SENSOR DISCOVERY II, PLD694, TAY100050 - Rovers North - Classic Land Rover Parts

Old 05-26-2015, 09:20 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Axle nut torque

Found in another thread. Can't open,the RAVE file on my phone.
Originally Posted by Urban Panzer
Noooo !!! those are for a D1 .....The D2 is different

The Hub securing bolts are 100 lbs ft, or 74 NM, but the problem lies with the axle nut

The D2 requires a Huge torque of 360 lbs ft or 490NM on the axle nut. So you need a biiiiiiiigggg torque wrench, either to borrow or buy.

Old 05-27-2015, 05:40 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

you can get a aftermarket hub for under $100 on ebay,
it is the exact same Taylor # and comes with the ABS sensor.
I installed on in March, no problems with the fit,
it is the same hub everyone else sell for 3x the money.
you can get all 4 hubs for under $500 if you want to wait a week for shipping.

ORF is correct if you feel any play in the hub its no good

Last edited by drowssap; 05-27-2015 at 05:50 AM.
Old 05-27-2015, 07:04 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 943 Likes on 634 Posts

Originally Posted by drowssap
you can get a aftermarket hub for under $100 on ebay,
it is the exact same Taylor # and comes with the ABS sensor.
I installed on in March, no problems with the fit,
it is the same hub everyone else sell for 3x the money.
you can get all 4 hubs for under $500 if you want to wait a week for shipping.

ORF is correct if you feel any play in the hub its no good
This, exactly. I did the same thing and it's been fine for 10k miles so far.

The following users liked this post:
drowssap (05-27-2015)

Quick Reply: new hub, seal, or just get a jeep?