Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need help fast deep water

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 05:40 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help fast deep water

i am sure if i search long enough i can find the answer to this but i am in a hurry so please don't crucify me.

I was playing on some flooded roads and it got deeper than expected in a dip and the water came up to mid windows but i had enough momentum to get out to shallow water, but as i was coming out the engine started to die so i shut it off immediately and towed it back home. It at no point sat still in any water deeper than 6in. i pulled the air filter and there was water in the intake tube so i let that drain out and took the filter out. there is no water in the oil that i can see. I let it dry a bit and it will start so it is not locked.

I know i need to change all my fluids and air filter but what else do i need to do?

Old 12-02-2010, 05:45 PM
Mudding

That's pretty much it. Check all fluids for water. Remember water sinks in oil so you'll only find it by pulling drain plugs. And most importantly don't go in water like that with out a snorkel!!!!

Old 12-02-2010, 05:49 PM
Three Wheeling

thats what I thought. is there any rover specific troubles i need to watch for/ expect

Old 12-02-2010, 05:50 PM
Three Wheeling

thank you so much for the quick answer btw

Old 12-02-2010, 06:32 PM
Mudding

Nothing I know of. Next time pull you spark plugs out and spin the engine over with the starter to clear Cyl water before you try running the engine. Could have bent a valve or rod if enough water had been in the Cyl and had no where to go. The only real concern with water is your axle seals letting water in. the trans and engine are pressurized while running for the most part and assuming your breather tubes are intact for the tranny and tcase they should be alright but check them anyways. Let the truck sit over night. Then loosen drain plugs with out dropping the oil until oil or water starts to drip out. Let a little drain. If no water came out it prolly okay. Just top it off. The water will need time to settle to the bottom

Old 12-02-2010, 07:18 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Once water mixes with gear lube it pretty much stays mixed, it will look like chocolate milk.
After wading like that it is always a good idea to change all your gear lubes and lube all grease fittings to get any water out.
I wade in deep water every spring and then change my driveline fluids the next day.
I dont get water in them, but I change them anyway.
And a snorkle on a gas engine is pretty much worthless for deep water.

And just because I can...this is what I do every spring.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tQ2Tp3u_f8

Old 12-02-2010, 07:27 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 84 Likes on 73 Posts

That video looks familiar. I think I've seen it somewhere.....

Old 12-02-2010, 07:31 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by lordmorpheus
That video looks familiar. I think I've seen it somewhere.....
Really? Where? LOL!!! I have no shame I know.

Old 12-02-2010, 07:36 PM
Three Wheeling

how deep is the water in that video spike? I used to take my jeep (xj with 6in of lift) in till it rolled over the hood with no problems. but today was literally half way up my windows... i almost s*** myself once it came over the hood and then I knew it was too late to do anything but keep going.

after i was through I checked the oil and pulled the intake box and tried to turn it over to make sure it it would still crank over and it started, but lost power after a few seconds, i didn't hit the gas to keep it going i just turned it off. Ive tried once more since i've been home and it does the same thing. The check engine light is on, but it does run smooth aside from losing power after a few seconds. Would that just be bc everything is so wet?

Old 12-02-2010, 07:46 PM
Team Owner

I know what you mean about the water being deeper than you expect, and what you ran into was...wow, I would have **** my pants for sure.
The water in my video is upto the hood, watch the video again and watch the hood, you will see the wake breaking on the hood.
So however tall a stock DI is is how deep the water was.
My truck is 100% stock.

Take out your MAF, if it is wet it will mess with the engine, try and get the truck inside a garage and heat it, open the hood, leave the air intake tubing off and let things dry out.
DO NOT let it sit outside and freeze or you may have to set it on fire to get it running right again.
O2 sensors and what nots are water tight, so no worries there, the crank sensor on a DII is ultra sensitive so you might need to replace that.
But I think other than making sure the MAF is not wet and the crank sensor is good and letting it dry out you should be good to go.

Quick Reply: need help fast deep water