Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need help fast deep water

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 08:18 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well I'm SOL on that one it doesn't fit in my garage and I only towed it to my gfs parents house bc they were closer I'm gonna have to take my chances tonight and see if there is anything I can do with it in the morning.

thank you so much your help everyone and I'll keep you posted with the results of the dry out

Old 12-02-2010, 10:09 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thats funny I've seen that video on you tube too, didn't know it was you spike.

Old 12-03-2010, 08:41 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by russdouble
i am sure if i search long enough i can find the answer to this but i am in a hurry so please don't crucify me.

I was playing on some flooded roads and it got deeper than expected in a dip and the water came up to mid windows but i had enough momentum to get out to shallow water, but as i was coming out the engine started to die so i shut it off immediately and towed it back home. It at no point sat still in any water deeper than 6in. i pulled the air filter and there was water in the intake tube so i let that drain out and took the filter out. there is no water in the oil that i can see. I let it dry a bit and it will start so it is not locked.

I know i need to change all my fluids and air filter but what else do i need to do?
I have driven in water that was apx. 32"s deep and never had a problem, but I was needing to cross a pond not see how big a splash I could make.
If you like making waves and running thru water really fast, just to look cool, you will pay for it.
By the way, if your filter got wet, your MAF is soon to fail.

Old 12-03-2010, 09:19 AM
Mudding
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by russdouble
I was playing on some flooded roads and it got deeper than expected in a dip and the water came up to mid windows...
HOLY...you sir are my newest hero. :clap:

To boldly go where wipers can't possibly clear the water on your windscreen is...wow just heroic. How much water got in the cabin btw?

Forget you Mike, that's impressive.

Old 12-03-2010, 08:36 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
I have driven in water that was apx. 32"s deep and never had a problem, but I was needing to cross a pond not see how big a splash I could make.
If you like making waves and running thru water really fast, just to look cool, you will pay for it.
By the way, if your filter got wet, your MAF is soon to fail.

i appreciate the judgement for the sake of self glorification in that... and im not even going to justify it beyond that by stating my stance as someone who enjoys all forms of wheeling.

Old 12-03-2010, 08:45 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by ShortTom
HOLY...you sir are my newest hero. :clap:

To boldly go where wipers can't possibly clear the water on your windscreen is...wow just heroic. How much water got in the cabin btw?

Forget you Mike, that's impressive.
lol it wasn't so much heroic as just plain stupid fun. I only got maybe an inch or so in the cabin which seemed to have come in through the dash. it quickly ran out when i opened up the doors.

update: stopped by to check out the disco today. the oil looks good no water. it fired right up, but is running a bit off. I didn't put a filter back in bc i haven't had time to pick one up as i work 14 hours a day during the week, so im sure that was part of the problem. I got it in a garage and am going to turn the heat on all day tomorrow to help dry things out a bit better. Then sunday is my first real free day to take things apart and find the problem. I'll keep everyone updated.

and thanks again to everyone who has taken the time to help

Old 12-03-2010, 08:52 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Keep us posted.

Old 12-04-2010, 09:08 PM
Three Wheeling

ok the rover is back in action I dried the MAFS inside today and checked all the fluids... not a drop of water or milkiness to any of them. I ordered a new KN air filter to be picked up tomorrow, and put the now dry paper one back in. and fired it up and after a bit of smoke shes running like a top.

Thanks again for all the help! i'm one of the few people who can say they have had their land rovers in literally 5ft (i measured for bragging purposes) of water and are still driving it.

Old 12-04-2010, 09:19 PM
Winching

Don't use a K&N air filter it will ruin your MAF. Stick with a regular paper air filter, it actually filters the air better and has no oil.

Old 12-04-2010, 09:53 PM
Three Wheeling

ive run KN in 10 vehicles and 3 motorcycles and never once had an ounce of trouble. is this a Land Rover specific issue or something

Quick Reply: need help fast deep water