Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Putting a Chevy Engine in my Discovery II

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2014, 05:53 PM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wont that take out the true "Millennium Falcon" spirit of owning a Land Rover.

Old 08-02-2014, 10:37 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i dont know if it takes anything away i mean the rover motor started out as a buick anyway but i do see you point but to me the what makes a rover so great is that its a over the top luxury tank

Old 08-02-2014, 11:33 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by tbean527
just to clarify the 4.3l hes installing is a v8 and the more common 4.3l that came in blazers and s10s is a v6. its a smaller displacement and predecessor of the Chevy 350 and the still in production 4.3l v6 is the same bore and stroke as a 350 with two less cylinders. so really if he makes this work it will also be a tutorial of how to swap any small block chevy to a rover (which would be awesome since i have a 465hp one sitting on a stand ive been toying with the idea of swapping myself) but the external block of a 4.3v8-302(called 305)-327-350-400 will all fit provided you use a chevy bellhousing and not a bop one (buck olds pontiac) but then again youd just need a differnt adapter
A-ha! Now I see that he said "4.3L v8" in his post. I had no idea that engine existed. Thanks for the clarification.

Old 08-03-2014, 02:35 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by MikesDisco2
Hey mike I noticed that you are not to far away from me. If you know of any good trails and want to get together sometime let me know. I'm actually just south of SA, but if you ever need some advice or help my garage isn't too far away.

Old 08-03-2014, 09:18 PM
Mudding
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

General Motors small-block engine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

L99?

Do you already own one or found one for song? Its a decent motor, but if you are going through the trouble to convert to a GM LT engine there are better options (more bang for basically the same buck).

EDIT: I see you already bought it. I look forward to watching your progress.

Last edited by evoblade; 08-04-2014 at 08:03 AM.
Old 08-04-2014, 10:11 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

Somebody should make this a kit....

Glad to see some affordable engine options going on...

Old 08-04-2014, 07:41 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by MikesDisco2
The "I have no idea if this thing will start." feeling?

Old 08-04-2014, 07:45 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by captain1976
I already worked out the electrical and computer controlled stuff like shifting, timing and other functions last fall.

I will use Chevy items such as A/C Compressor, Alternator, Starter, Fuel Injection, etc. I will use the Rovers ignition system and also fabricate its power steering and air pump to the left side of the engine.

Once mounted I want to use those Chrome plated Chevy exhaust manifolds.
Also plan to adapt the Rovers cooling system and will make this a dependable every day driver.

The first step was to remove the old engine and get some measurements. The Chevy engine which I purchased last Fall only has a few thousand miles on it so I cleaned it up real good.
Have you done an engine swap before? Are you using a kit or guide? Getting the trans and igntion to play nice seems no small feat. How are you getting the ignition to play nice with Chevy gear?

Old 08-04-2014, 08:35 PM
Drifting
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by evoblade
Have you done an engine swap before? Are you using a kit or guide? Getting the trans and igntion to play nice seems no small feat. How are you getting the ignition to play nice with Chevy gear?
I have done engine swaps before, but oddball stuff like a GMC truck engine into a Ford Maverick and a Mercedes gas engine and trans into a Ford Bronco.
But those being carburetor engines with no computers there wasn't much in the way of electronics.

Without going over my specific notes from last fall, the transmission shifting issue was the first thing I played with. Though the Rover engine is toast it still ran well (until it got hot) and I did testing with all sensors removed, it shifted fine as I ran it several miles without issues.

The ignition and electronic fuel system will be used from the Rover which has the same firing order and the fuel system uses the same injectors.

The Chevy engine will actually work very well without a crank sensor installed but I have already modified the distributor to accept the Rovers cam sensor.

But whatever issues I run into will be dealt with and I will report them here.

Old 08-04-2014, 08:41 PM
Drifting
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Some measurement info

The distance between engine base and transmission end of torque converter when installed is 5/16 or 8mm longer in the Rover engine.

That measurement is the total thickness allowed for the adapter plate unless either a shorter torque converter is used or additional distance is achieved by shortening the bell housing.

Marks RV uses a total of 17mm thickness for their adapter plates. Therefore to utilize these adapters (which is probably the best mearsurement to accommodatee attachment bolts) we need to remove a total of 9mm or 3/8” from either or both sides of the bell housing. This can be accomplished by a machine shop and I will report on how much to take off each end to best achieve the objective.

Marks RV solution is to simply use a shorter torque converter from an earlier model Rover. But after consulting with several torque converter, Rover people and bone yards about this my findings are that it’s a very difficult task to find one.

Attached Thumbnails Putting a Chevy Engine in my Discovery II-measurementphoto.jpg  

Last edited by captain1976; 08-04-2014 at 09:23 PM. Reason: left something out

Quick Reply: Putting a Chevy Engine in my Discovery II