Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Small leak of brown liquid - Dexcool?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2017, 07:06 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Small leak of brown liquid - Dexcool?

So I noticed that the coolant the previous owner gave me was Prestone with Dexcool. I've read enough to know that using that stuff is a no-no.

I also noticed that there was a decent amount of water pooling under the car after I drove it 10 miles or so.

I got got under the car and noticed that a brownish liquid was leaking from somewhere and was dripping down. Not much so far, just 3-4 drops.

Is this a Dexcool leak? If so where could it be coming from? How big of a problem is this?

I found the forum post by Buzz on how to do a flush. I will be doing that soon. But I want to make sure that no more damage happens.

Attached is a picture of the leak as I saw it. That brown thing in the top is where the muffler connects to the engine (I think).

Old 02-18-2017, 07:24 PM
Winching
Received 139 Likes on 106 Posts

many people do flush the system of Dexcool and go with green stuff. Before you waste your money, you need to trace the leak from top down. If you don't you will only be chasing a green leak.
What year and how many miles on your Rover?

Old 02-18-2017, 07:26 PM
Three Wheeling

It's a 2004 with 127k miles. Engine was replaced at 80k though.

Old 02-18-2017, 07:35 PM
TReK
Received 199 Likes on 176 Posts

Like what Matt mentioned, check where the leak is coming from before you change it to green. But it is very advisable to get the green. Power wash that bottom and check it again after few miles. Though it will be hard to trace since its coming between the firewall and engine.

IMPORTANT: Get the plug to cover that hole or water will get in there. Its probably a $8.00 rubber cap in AB.

Old 02-18-2017, 07:45 PM
Three Wheeling

Will see if I can find the leak. If it's coming down in that spot what are likely culprits?

Also so what is that rubber plug called? Or the hole that needs the plug? Thanks for catching that btw

Old 02-18-2017, 07:55 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by Jsivey
Will see if I can find the leak. If it's coming down in that spot what are likely culprits?

Also so what is that rubber plug called? Or the hole that needs the plug? Thanks for catching that btw
Oil Pan Grommet (Rear) (Genuine Part # ERR7229 ) - Land Rover gaskets and seals from Atlantic British

Old 02-18-2017, 08:27 PM
Three Wheeling

Will have to rush order that grommet.

I'm guessing that since that grommet plugs up the oil pan then I've discovered why I've lost almost a quart of oil in a week?

I topped the oil off on Tuesday, put 350ish miles on it and had to put a quart in it tonight. I've been putting cardboard underneath it the last 2 nights but never find drops let alone pools of oil the next day.

Old 02-18-2017, 08:30 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by Jsivey
Will have to rush order that grommet.

I'm guessing that since that grommet plugs up the oil pan then I've discovered why I've lost almost a quart of oil in a week?

I topped the oil off on Tuesday, put 350ish miles on it and had to put a quart in it tonight. I've been putting cardboard underneath it the last 2 nights but never find drops let alone pools of oil the next day.
NO! that place should be dry. Its just a name. No oil there.

Old 02-18-2017, 08:48 PM
Three Wheeling

Dang. So what could've cause the oil level to drop that low in a week? I haven't noticed any oil leaking from the car.

The PO just got the oil changed. Could it be that Valvoline didn't put oil in the filter and it has been filled up now?

im taking it to get a good cleaning tomorrow. I have to get to the bottom of these leaks.

Old 02-18-2017, 10:22 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 58 Likes on 55 Posts

Check simple things first, it could be throttle body heater leaking coolant since it's driver's side,

Quick Reply: Small leak of brown liquid - Dexcool?