Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trans Temp Light

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2016, 11:28 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 189 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by andrewd
I might try replacing the fluid but it was just done a few thousand miles ago at a LR specialty shop. And the transmission shifts great, even the shop mentioned that it shifted with no issues.

If not as you mentioned it looks like used D2 transmissions are pretty inexpensive.
The trans are known to be quite durable as well.

If it works well, would suggest simple temp sensor replacement or check wiring for fault.

Coolers don't clog often due to low viscosity of fluid and little trans debris to clog..

Last edited by number9; 06-25-2016 at 11:34 PM.
Old 06-26-2016, 11:01 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2,239 Likes on 1,662 Posts

Had a local shop look at it and there opinion was the transmission is just worn out and they would recommend replacing it.
Find another shop.... They can't stand there and tell you it's just worn out and to replace it, but at the same time tell you oh it shifts fine......

If this was me here is exactly what I'd do (especially if I'm not really mechanic minded).

Crawl under it, open the drain up just enough until you can get some to drip into a cup. Just to inspect the color/smell of the fluid (DO NOT TAKE THE DRAIN PLUG OUT COMPLETELY). If the fluid looks ok, and doesn't smell burnt, then I would inspect the transmission temp sensor itself. Look for melted wiring, and if you don't see anything I'd honestly get a new sensor and try that before jumping on replacing the transmission.

If a LR transmission is on it's way out you'll have all sorts of slop, weird feeling shifts, and the fluid will be almost black with a very nasty burnt smell.

Also I'd remove your upper radiator black plastic cover and make sure you don't have a bird nest, grass, or misc debris in between your Condenser, Trans Cooler, and Radiator.

When I used to live out in the TX Hill Country you always had to check for that as birds, and little warm blooded animals loved to build nest there.

Then after you've come to your conclusion I'd still find another shop. Any good shop would look into the temp sensor first before saying it's tired especially if they drove it and it shifted nice and smooth. A bad transmission doesn't go from shifting great to shifting like crap and back n forth. It'll shift like crap, slip, and eventually you'll start loosing gears until it just comes to a stop or one day refuses to move from a cold start.

Trust me when my company truck was a Ford Transit Connect and I went thru 3 transmissions in under 50K I had it down to a science. Charcoal looking trans fluid, trans left with just 1st n 3rd, and then one that just had OD left. I was able to get home each time it died, but boy what an adventure that was!!!

Old 06-27-2016, 09:55 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

Check fluid levels first. Then unplug one of the temp sensors and drive like you normally would. Does the light come back on? If yes, then you know it's the sensor or system that is still plugged in. If no light, then the sensor you unplugged (transfer case or transmission cooler which ever you choose to unplug) is the problem child. If your transmission shifts good, I don't see a problem. Find another mechanic.

Old 07-18-2016, 07:38 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had a different shop take a look. They put a temp sensor in it and the light hasn't come back since. Hope it stays that way. Thanks for the help guys

Old 07-19-2016, 05:22 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by andrewd
Had a different shop take a look. They put a temp sensor in it and the light hasn't come back since. Hope it stays that way. Thanks for the help guys
I bet you're glad you didn't replace that "worn out" transmission!

Old 07-19-2016, 09:54 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

Glad you didn't take the "600 dollar gamble"....