Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone use plug wire insulation?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2016, 10:33 AM
Winching
Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Anyone use plug wire insulation?

I try to keep plug wires in the plastic brackets but those break. Anyone using any kind of sleeves to keep wires from getting burn spots from touching hot metal? Not the boot but the wires? The passenger side is good but on the driver side the wires touch the valve cover as they wrap around. The bracket back there broke.

Old 07-16-2016, 06:12 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,248 Likes on 1,667 Posts

I'd say you could probably squeeze all 4 wires (one at a time) thru a pair of insulated spark plug wire boots (like the ones Kingsborne sells). However from my old school dizzy days you never actually want the wires touching each other (hence the spacers). You can buy aftermarket clips that either bolt together or just hang and keep the wires from touching each other and that should take care of your problems.

Old 07-17-2016, 07:43 AM
Winching

Sounds good. They definitely touch each other so I'll get a set of brackets. I overlooked the touching part. Figured it was good unless the insulation was damaged

Originally Posted by Best4x4
I'd say you could probably squeeze all 4 wires (one at a time) thru a pair of insulated spark plug wire boots (like the ones Kingsborne sells). However from my old school dizzy days you never actually want the wires touching each other (hence the spacers). You can buy aftermarket clips that either bolt together or just hang and keep the wires from touching each other and that should take care of your problems.

Old 07-17-2016, 11:28 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

If you need to, you can make a pretty good set of plug wire separators with zip ties. Put one large one around all of the wires you're tying together. Put it on loosely at first. Then put smaller ones around the large one, in between each wire. Tighten the big one first and then get the small ones situated and tighten them all up. Then trim them all down. It keeps them neat and separated.

Old 07-17-2016, 10:48 PM
Winching

Nice idea!

Originally Posted by disc oh no
If you need to, you can make a pretty good set of plug wire separators with zip ties. Put one large one around all of the wires you're tying together. Put it on loosely at first. Then put smaller ones around the large one, in between each wire. Tighten the big one first and then get the small ones situated and tighten them all up. Then trim them all down. It keeps them neat and separated.

Old 07-18-2016, 11:07 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts

I use high temp convolute (aka plastic wire loom) to cover all of the ignition wires. Once each individual wire is covered zip ties can be used to manage the bunches of 4 on each side since they are really not touching each other; the plastic wire loom keeps them separated.

Very helpful for stopping misfire issues.

Old 07-19-2016, 11:55 AM
Winching

Thanks for the tip!

Originally Posted by Fast951
I use high temp convolute (aka plastic wire loom) to cover all of the ignition wires. Once each individual wire is covered zip ties can be used to manage the bunches of 4 on each side since they are really not touching each other; the plastic wire loom keeps them separated.

Very helpful for stopping misfire issues.