Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transfer case seals

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2016, 12:28 PM
TReK
Received 313 Likes on 289 Posts
Default Transfer case seals

My Transfer case is really leaking. At this time I would be working outside, in a parking lot, so do not want to remove the transfer case. Eventually, I want to swap in a locking case, but for now would be happy to just slow the leaking.

What is the difficulty level of these seals? Are they accessible without lifting the truck? I took a look at Rave, but would love some anecdotal feedback.

Old 04-29-2016, 02:59 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by CollieRover
My Transfer case is really leaking. At this time I would be working outside, in a parking lot, so do not want to remove the transfer case. Eventually, I want to swap in a locking case, but for now would be happy to just slow the leaking.

What is the difficulty level of these seals? Are they accessible without lifting the truck? I took a look at Rave, but would love some anecdotal feedback.
Unless you are extremely slim you'll defo need to raise the truck onto axle stands. The difficulty factor is say around 2-3 out of 5 as the rear seal has to be accessed by taking off the driveshaft, handbrake assy and flange and the front by removing the driveshaft and front flange. You'll need new nyloc nuts x2 and new felts washers x2 and also front and rear oil seals. The two nuts are on tight so you'll need to have a gizmo to hold the flanges and a long (say 30") 1/2" drive breaker bar to undo the nuts and a torque wrench to finally check them when replacing the nuts. My time estimate outside using axle stands and the right tools would be 2-3 hours maybe as much as 4 hours first time around. Good luck and have fun.

Also buy an oil seal removal tool as they are easier to use than a screwdriver.

Avertissement de redirection

The following users liked this post:
CollieRover (04-29-2016)
Old 04-29-2016, 07:50 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by OffroadFrance
Unless you are extremely slim you'll defo need to raise the truck onto axle stands. The difficulty factor is say around 2-3 out of 5 as the rear seal has to be accessed by taking off the driveshaft, handbrake assy and flange and the front by removing the driveshaft and front flange. You'll need new nyloc nuts x2 and new felts washers x2 and also front and rear oil seals. The two nuts are on tight so you'll need to have a gizmo to hold the flanges and a long (say 30") 1/2" drive breaker bar to undo the nuts and a torque wrench to finally check them when replacing the nuts. My time estimate outside using axle stands and the right tools would be 2-3 hours maybe as much as 4 hours first time around. Good luck and have fun.

Also buy an oil seal removal tool as they are easier to use than a screwdriver.

Avertissement de redirection
Thanks again for the help Offroad. Looks like I have a few more tools to buy.

Old 08-13-2016, 10:26 AM
TReK

So far the new seals are not leaking, and the Rightstuff Gasket is not leaking at the inspection plate.

A Offroad mentioned the Oil Seal Removal tool is a must, and I was able to use my Harbor Freight Impact Wrench to get the nuts off of the output flanges.

To get the seals seated I used a PVC pipe and a rubber mallet. So prior to doing this job take your seal to a hardware store, and get a size of PVC that will fit.

It was not a fun job twisting underneath the car, and just make sure you have good tools to remove the driveshaft.

Old 08-14-2016, 04:42 AM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by CollieRover
So far the new seals are not leaking, and the Rightstuff Gasket is not leaking at the inspection plate.

A Offroad mentioned the Oil Seal Removal tool is a must, and I was able to use my Harbor Freight Impact Wrench to get the nuts off of the output flanges.

To get the seals seated I used a PVC pipe and a rubber mallet. So prior to doing this job take your seal to a hardware store, and get a size of PVC that will fit.

It was not a fun job twisting underneath the car, and just make sure you have good tools to remove the driveshaft.
Well done CollieRover, excellent outcome. You are now one of a very limited club as most take their trucks to a garage mechanic who'll relieve you of a lot of dosh.

The following users liked this post:
CollieRover (08-14-2016)
Old 08-14-2016, 08:37 AM
TReK

Originally Posted by OffroadFrance
Well done CollieRover, excellent outcome. You are now one of a very limited club as most take their trucks to a garage mechanic who'll relieve you of a lot of dosh.
Thanks Off-road! Next big project is to fix oil leaks underneath the lower intake manifold. I will do wires, plugs and rebuild the fuel injectors too.