Buzzing / Whining when starting in extreme cold - Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-05-2017, 02:28 PM

Default Buzzing / Whining when starting in extreme cold

The temperatures recently dropped in to the negative single digits and my LR2 when started makes a rather loud buzzing and whining sound after starting it in the cold. It does seem to increase when you turn the steering wheel. And also seems to buzz in unison with the engine as you increase or decrease speed. Once the car is sufficiently warm the noise goes away. If you turn it off and start the car warm there is no sound.

It is loud enough to be a bit embarrassing when you are giving a friend a ride and doesn't instill confidence that they picked the best car to get a ride from in these subarctic temps. However, there doesn't seem to be any decreased performance.

Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this? Has anyone else noticed this on the LR2?
Old 01-13-2017, 06:59 PM

LB,

Its most likely the power steering fluid.

Here is a good video (not mine)

Note: the reservoir has a filter in the bottom of it I replaced mine

The fluid that I used is Pentosin CHF202 Power Steering System Fluid and its green not red like the fluid in the video.

Other then that the video is pretty much what I did.

A good flush and a new reservoir (and filter) should fix your mystery noise

Good Luck

Paul