LR2 Talk about the Land Rover LR2 within.

What coolant can I use for my LR2?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2015, 09:57 PM
Mudding
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default What coolant can I use for my LR2?

I have been searching around the internet for the last few hours trying to figure out

A) If I can buy the Texaco XLC coolant that is recommended in the owners manual.

or

B) Just order coolant directly from Land Rover to make sure I am getting the right stuff.

I can't seem to find either one. Does anyone know without a shadow of a doubt where I can buy either one of these coolants? I cannot make it to a dealership, as there isn't one for nearly 300 miles.

I have the original orange coolant currently in my LR2, and the low coolant message is appearing everytime I start the car. I would like to buy a coolant and be able to top it off. However, after doing my research I am a little uneasy about mixing coolants, so I would like to find the same coolant that is in there. Or at least something compatible so I don't damage the car.

Can anyone point me in the right direction to get coolant that will work in my LR2?

Old 10-09-2015, 07:04 PM
Winching
Received 261 Likes on 198 Posts

Use GM DexCool, that's equivalent to the NLA Texaco stuff. You should be able to mix it (I did, years ago), although it might be worth a flush and coolant change to be safe (I haven't got around to it yet). You can ignore all the interweb crap about DexCool clogging up engines...the chemsitry in this particular antifreeze is designed to NEVER contact air. The problems came about because people didn't keep their system airtight, and oxygen got in and interacted with the hot coolant (apparently that makes it gum up). Dexcool is probably what the dealer will sell you...at a 300% markup.

That said...notice that your coolant system includes an airtight reservoir, it's not vented to the air like on many other cars. This is because it stays airtight and pressurized when running. I would be concerned about that low coolant...if you have a leak, you should get it fixed and flushed out fast. A leak that lets coolant out when hot may let air in when cooling down (creating bad chemistry). If you just lost a little over time (mine did) with no big loss or apparent leak, just top it off. The reservoir is small and has a narrow range between full and low, so maybe it just needs topping off occasionally (although you have to wonder where it's going from that "airtight system").

If the reservoir cap is very hard to turn, apply a little silicone grease to the threads.

Last edited by merlinj79; 10-09-2015 at 07:08 PM.