Retired - Private For Sale/Trade Classifieds Sell or Trade your stuff for free! Anything for sale by private owner. NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

My new invention - Built out of necessity – Something we can all use

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 06:01 AM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My new invention - Built out of necessity – Something we can all use

Protective fuel filler recess Cover for Land Rover Defender

Protects against -
• Rain
• Mud
• Ice
• Snow
• Sand

Most Defender Owners have either dug or blew mud and snow out of the fuel filler recess. A few of you have also dealt with trying to clean, sand and mend the inside bottom corners where years or mixed fuel, mud and water have created a formidable sludge.

Our goal is to seal this opening with a stylish protective cover that is durable enough to snap on and off thousands of times without loosing shape and falling off, can withstand extreme temperature differences and will not scratch your painted surface. Features & Benefits Functionality with style Let’s start with our choice of material.

Flame Retardant Low-Density Polyethylene (LDPE-FR) is very flexible and durable to the degree of being almost unbreakable. LDPE is a plastic commonly for food storage containers, playground slides and six-pack soda rings with a workable temperature range from -40°C to +80°C (-40°F to +180°F). It also floats on water, resists minor scratches, and resists concentrated acids, alcohols, bases, vegetable oils, mineral oils, and oxidizing agents. Bends without breaking and returns to original shape within seconds.

Our first challenge was to create an uninterrupted locking edge around the complete cover. This edge must also serve as a drip shelf to keeprain water running down the side of the vehicle from finding a way in.

A quick look at your fuel filler recess and you will see what we were up against. The factory cut and bent edge of your Defender’s recess varies greatly in wall thickness. The side walls vary between 4 and 5 millimeters and the top edge is as thin as 2 millimeters. Adding to this is the 50° angled rear wall of the recess that left very little space to create our top drip edge.

Uninterrupted snap-lock and drip edge around all sides

We developed a cover that meets all criteria. We preserve the integrity of the top drip edge while adding two spacers to compensate for factory tolerances in the wall thicknesses and slanting the top edge to fit in the tight space next to the angled rear wall of the filler recess.

Snap-On and Snap-Off with ease An important feature of the fuel filler recess cover is the ease with which it can be attached and removed. Simply position the cover in place and push on the top and bottom. The cover is easily removed using the four finger grip formed into the bottom edge of the cover. Our final goal was to design a cover that was stylish. We kept the profile as low as the removal grip allowed (5mm / ¼ in.) and added a light texture to further help resist scratches.

See more information at http://www.mr.tc

See it now at eBay

Old 01-11-2009, 12:39 AM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: My new invention - Built out of necessity – Something we can all use

This is incredible. Good job- I hope you sell a million of these.

Pat

Old 01-11-2009, 12:21 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts
Default RE: My new invention - Built out of necessity – Something we can all use

Great idea, I would suggest you start sending out this information to the Rover speciality shops that work on the old series and defenders.
Mike